Best combo for reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Go with diesel. She won't be the most reliable. But you'll lover her so much, you'll be perfectly happy to make those mid and late-life repairs.

I say this as a guy who's other car is lifted and armored 97 4Runner 5-speed. I've made a lot of mods and repairs to that gal that "just don't make no sense." But, there's no way in hell I'd ever sell her.

The cheapest car is quite often the one you love enough to keep, no matter what.
Sponsored

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
You're erked by my inability to chose? Are you serious? I chose whatever I want. I only asked current Jeep owners opinions on reliability because they own them and have experience with them and I wanted to hear what kind of issues they are having between the two combinations so I can make a smart decision. It has nothing to do with not being able to choose for myself.

When you're buying a vehicle that you plan on keeping long-term you have to research reliability. Why wouldn't I? In the end I will be the ine making the decision on what to buy.
The class of vehicle you're looking at will be pretty reliable. So I wouldn't worry about that as much as what else it provides. Drive a Wrangler, Bronco, 4runner/GX and go with your heart, as cliche as that sounds.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
You're erked by my inability to chose? Are you serious? I chose whatever I want. I only asked current Jeep owners opinions on reliability because they own them and have experience with them and I wanted to hear what kind of issues they are having between the two combinations so I can make a smart decision. It has nothing to do with not being able to choose for myself.

When you're buying a vehicle that you plan on keeping long-term you have to research reliability. Why wouldn't I? In the end I will be the ine making the decision on what to buy.
And im saying again ‘it doesnt matter’.

dont be blinded by the fandom, but jeeps arent exactly toyota build quality and reliability marked.

i dont love toyota, nor hate jeep. Those who claim such (that i do) are missing the point. To get testy on a forum about such is borderline crazy; as someone pointed out ‘why waste time on a forum?’; precisely!

you know what ordered and bought?? 6MT 3.6L V6 sans eTorque. Why? It’s simple and like the man said ‘it feels like a damn truck!’ 👍🏼

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
It's definitely going to be a close decision. I find myself leaning both ways and constantly flip flopping. I see the pros and cons of both from the research I've been doing and listening to people's experiences.

The 2.0T definitely intrigues me power wise and the Auto is definitely something I think I would welcome down the road and especially if I need someone else to drive for some reason being that I'm the only one in my household who can drive a manual. Plus I can see myself eventually getting sick of shifting. Although I never got sick of shifting my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. But that was a Muscle car. Maybe the Jeep will be the same? Don't know. It might be since it's a fun vehicle as well.

I've pretty much decided I'm ordering a 2022 Rubicon in October or whenever they open up the order banks. Hopefully sooner then later. Now I just have to decide on the engine and transmission combo. It's crazy how split this is. It's usually a much clearer cut and dry decision with my other vehicles I've purchased. I honestly think with this one I'll even be surprising myself with what I chose in the end.
OP, I was in the same place 3-4 months ago and after many test drives and a pro/con matrix it was a pretty even split the two. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I would definitely suggest you try them both out multiple times. I ended up going w/ my gut and what was the most fun for me to drive - the 2.0T. So far no regrets but she's still a newborn.

As far as reliability, yes the 2.0T long term is more of an unknown at this point, which means the answer to your question is also an unknown. It may turn out to be more reliable and hit super high mileages. It may not. Either way you're taking a chance, so my advice would be to try them both out (even the diesel - you never know) and go with whichever one feels the best for you.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
OP, I was in the same place 3-4 months ago and after many test drives and a pro/con matrix it was a pretty even split the two. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I would definitely suggest you try them both out multiple times. I ended up going w/ my gut and what was the most fun for me to drive - the 2.0T. So far no regrets but she's still a newborn.

As far as reliability, yes the 2.0T long term is more of an unknown at this point, which means the answer to your question is also an unknown. It may turn out to be more reliable and hit super high mileages. It may not. Either way you're taking a chance, so my advice would be to try them both out (even the diesel - you never know) and go with whichever one feels the best for you.
Unfortunately not many on the lots to test drive right now.

Also the diesel is out since I'm going 2 door.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Unfortunately not many on the lots to test drive right now.

Also the diesel is out since I'm going 2 door.
What's the delta in your market between the 3.6 MT vs the 3.6 Auto?
I know you said you have a strict budget, but if you are keeping this Jeep for 20 years + it just may be worth it if you are too nervous about the 2.0.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
There’s more off road trails then just the Rubicon (just as there’s more tacks then just the Nuremberg). I have seen older GX series out with Land Cruisers when enjoying my JLR and they’re pretty impressive off-road. I’m only simply stating the GX offers more then creature comfort and is more capable off-road then you think. It offers both better then a similarly priced pickup truck that you implied, when I first replied to you. Unless capability is hauling or towing stuff around… I’m not saying the GX is better then the JLU or JKU, but I certainly respect them for what they are. If I had to buy a second vehicle to compliment my JLR, GX would be toward the top of the list.

I think JL platform is a mechanically solid platform. It is not the area I feel will be a problem in the long run.
My Rubicon comment was in relation to the "gx will get you to the same places as a JLR" comment. I used a particularly tough example of no it won't. It's based on a 4runner, obviously capable on even moderate trails. It's also very expensive, large with huge overhangs that won't play well with trail obstacles, and ifs/ articulation limited. It's a great family luxury suv, but gives up a lot to the Wrangler when it comes to off road.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Only problem I have had since I was a kid is, do I nibble the chocolate off the end and enjoy it before taking a bite or just take a big bite right off. Choices...
I don't know man...I often enjoy scrapping off the top chocolate waved portion with my front teeth before going deep.
Yes sir...that's where this thread is at.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The 2.0T is direct injection. Do some research on direct injection engines before you make your decision.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
The 2.0T is direct injection. Do some research on direct injection engines before you make your decision.
I already know about DI engines. Not all have Carbon build up issues. It depends on the design.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I can not even fathom keeping a vehicle for 20 years. That sounds like a crazy plan to me. Vehicles are a disposable money sucking commodity IMO. I have owned over 100 in the last 35 years, I change them like underwear when I can. I think my record is about 5 years, most I change after 2-3 years, many lasted less than a year. My wife? My home? 20+ years, sure, absolutely. A car, no way.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
It's definitely going to be a close decision. I find myself leaning both ways and constantly flip flopping. I see the pros and cons of both from the research I've been doing and listening to people's experiences.

The 2.0T definitely intrigues me power wise and the Auto is definitely something I think I would welcome down the road and especially if I need someone else to drive for some reason being that I'm the only one in my household who can drive a manual. Plus I can see myself eventually getting sick of shifting. Although I never got sick of shifting my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. But that was a Muscle car. Maybe the Jeep will be the same? Don't know. It might be since it's a fun vehicle as well.

I've pretty much decided I'm ordering a 2022 Rubicon in October or whenever they open up the order banks. Hopefully sooner then later. Now I just have to decide on the engine and transmission combo. It's crazy how split this is. It's usually a much clearer cut and dry decision with my other vehicles I've purchased. I honestly think with this one I'll even be surprising myself with what I chose in the end.
You decision or the lack thereof may be moot. We don't yet know what powertrain options FCA will offer for MY22. They ditched eTorque on the 2.0 and brought it to the 3.6 for MY21, maybe they'll have eTorque on both for MY22, or bring over the 2.2L Turbo, or drop the MT altogether.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.