First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Army(Retired)
Does anyone know of a shop in the Indianapolis area that will put tires on beadlock wheels?
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Does anyone know of a shop in the Indianapolis area that will put tires on beadlock wheels?
I do not, but you might have better luck at an off-road specific shop rather than a traditional tire shop. Most, that I am aware of, won’t touch them.

Reactions: J0E

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I'll start by saying that I've never mounted a tire on a bead lock rim.

But I have mounted hundreds of tires back when I worked as a tech in college.

It would seem to me that beadlock rims lend themselves to being mounted without a tire machine by someone in a DIY manner. Which is pretty much impossible with regular tires and rims.

If you can get the inside of the tire over the face of the rim, then you just bolt the beadlock ring up against the tire.

Am I missing something?

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I'll start by saying that I've never mounted a tire on a bead lock rim.

But I have mounted hundreds of tires back when I worked as a tech in college.

It would seem to me that beadlock rims lend themselves to being mounted without a tire machine by someone in a DIY manner. Which is pretty much impossible with regular tires and rims.

If you can get the inside of the tire over the face of the rim, then you just bolt the beadlock ring up against the tire.

Am I missing something?
You pretty much got it. I've done a few and it takes me about 30-45min per tire to do them. They are a maintenance item and many people fail to check them periodically and even more over torque the ring.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
"Penta"
The original Hummer/H1 wheels were beadlocked with a rubber or magnesium runflat.
Think of two dinner plates put back to back with with a rubber O-ring in between. 12 bolts held the halves together. The designers were smart enough to install 5 sided nuts to keep the average owner, or tire shop, from disassembling under pressure and having the halves "explode" into the tech's face.

I, like others, had to buy the $125 socket to service the wheels as no shop wanted to mess with that system. With an impact, you could mount and dismount them fairly easily, then you had to go to a truck shop to balance them.

Many owners got rid of the "penta nuts", but you needed to be careful as any type of beadlock can be hazardous to ppl not familiar with the system.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
"Penta"
The original Hummer/H1 wheels were beadlocked with a rubber or magnesium runflat.
Think of two dinner plates put back to back with with a rubber O-ring in between. 12 bolts held the halves together. The designers were smart enough to install 5 sided nuts to keep the average owner, or tire shop, from disassembling under pressure and having the halves "explode" into the tech's face.

I, like others, had to buy the $125 socket to service the wheels as no shop wanted to mess with that system. With an impact, you could mount and dismount them fairly easily, then you had to go to a truck shop to balance them.

Many owners got rid of the "penta nuts", but you needed to be careful as any type of beadlock can be hazardous to ppl not familiar with the system.
Just when this thread couldn't get any lower someone started talking about 16.5's. Well that's it. We got it. We can all go home now. 🤣

clapperboard-director.gif

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tires mounted and installed on the Jeep. Looks awesome! Happy to hear your thoughts!
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock fail at SEMA causes broken leg clapperboard-director

I have a set of these in satin black stacked in my garage, waiting for tires.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Link to FB page A broken leg and a wild accident to start SEMA!

Speculation
  • Leg not broken, nasty cut. See the leg pic which for some reason OP obscured.
  • Over torqued + anti-seize + over inflated
The Nitto 38x13.5R17's have such thick sidewalls they required spaces for my Raceline beadlocks. I not sure of the tire that failed, but this is what happens without a spacer with a thick sidewall:

Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock fail at SEMA causes broken leg 1684885572943

KoKo

First Name
Karim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I have a set of these in satin black stacked in my garage, waiting for tires.
Nice! I love these things. I have dropped pressures down to about 10 PSI so far and no issues at all... Looking forward to seeing the pics of the wheels on your Jeep!

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Nice! I love these things. I have dropped pressures down to about 10 PSI so far and no issues at all... Looking forward to seeing the pics of the wheels on your Jeep!
ICON ALLOYS REBOUND PRO WITH PATENTED INNERLOCK TECHNOLOGY

They say 10 PSI but my bet is you could safely drop to 7 PSI with low risk of losing an outside bead and ultra low risk of the tire spinning. Even if it burped air from the front outside bead, it would be easy to reseat.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I spent a couple hours carefully lubing bolts with anti-seize. Got new TPMS sensors and stems and a bunch of balance beads, ready to go.

KoKo

First Name
Karim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent a couple hours carefully lubing bolts with anti-seize. Got new TPMS sensors and stems and a bunch of balance beads, ready to go.
Nice! I did balance beads as well. I threw in about 8 oz in my H/T 37's and LOVE the results. Best part is after some serious offroading, no need to get the tires rebalanced! :rock:

KoKo

First Name
Karim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Rebound Pros.

Since I don't currently have beadlocks, I've been keeping pressures in the high teens, which also keeps the ground clearance. I really haven't gotten into tough enough situations to have needed lower pressures. But, we're working up on harder and harder trails. The Rebound Pros will give me some confidence to go much lower than I've been running.
Sponsored