mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
D

Did you purchase your Wrangler used? If so maybe the previous owner modified it to use only one battery?
If not, your start/stop battery will be under the first battery.
This is a YouTube link Showing how to get to it.
YouTube Vid replace Start/Stop battery

I have no idea why your steps are not working correctly. Unless they were wired directly to the battery you replaced and maybe you didn't reconnect that connection or you could have hooked it up on the negative terminal by accident.
Maybe read the rest of the thread first. He has the etorque 48v battery.
Sponsored

Sponsored

JCutler

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Your talking about 2 very different batteries. The one under the hood is for the start/stop function non-eTorque systems. Easily replaceable and available at auto parts stores.
The battery under the back seat is a lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery and is part of the e-Torque mild hybrid system. It's actually not inside right under the seat cushion, it's on the undercarriage below the rear seat area. Replacing it is a lot more involved than replacing the battery under the hood and you're not gonna walk into a parts store and buy one. It's also covered by an 8 year warranty and very expensive so if there is a problem with it, have it replaced under warranty.
Where do you find info on the 8 yr warranty? I'm in need of having mine replaced.

JCutler

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Shoot! I should’ve come back to update. I did find it but in any case, you’re a life saver thank you! I’ll be calling the dealership Monday. He insisted that batteries are maintenance and therefore not covered. Ugh!
What happened to your hybrid battery? You’d be the first I’ve heard of to have a problem with it.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Shoot! I should’ve come back to update. I did find it but in any case, you’re a life saver thank you! I’ll be calling the dealership Monday. He insisted that batteries are maintenance and therefore not covered. Ugh!
Yeah he should probably read the warranty booklet as it clearly states the only parts not covered are tires and headphones.

305A13F2-BF9F-4BE7-93AF-CD27D428E7B3.jpeg

Sponsored

JCutler

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What happened to your hybrid battery? You’d be the first I’ve heard of to have a problem with it.
Long story short: I got hit by a drunk driver. The Jeep was in the shop for 46 days. I got it back and the battery was dead as a door nail. Cause a ton of funky stuff. Wipers turning on. Turn signals flashing. All the dash lights. Rough idle and no acceleration once jumped. Dealer said both the main battery and Aux battery were trashed. Insurance agreed to cover the cost for both batteries (assuming it was the small batteries) as the other insurance obviously took responsibility. Before finding that out, advisor tells me I have to pay for both batteries because they are maintenance items. Prior to the accident they were perfectly fine though.

JCutler

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah he should probably read the warranty booklet as it clearly states the only parts not covered are tires and headphones.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery replacement 305A13F2-BF9F-4BE7-93AF-CD27D428E7B3
I am outside of the basics warranty. I have 40k on the Jeep. If that battery is covered 8yrs and 80k though, I’m golden.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I am outside of the basics warranty. I have 40k on the Jeep. If that battery is covered 8yrs and 80k though, I’m golden.
You are confusing the different battery setups. If you have the eTorque system, you have a hybrid battery that is underneath the vehicle. THAT battery and the other components of the hybrid system are covered under the 8/80 warranty. The 12v battery under the hood is not.

If you have the ESS system, you have your main 12v battery under the hood as well as the smaller Aux battery under the fuse box. THOSE batteries are covered under the 3/36 manufacturers vehicle warranty.
If you are over 36k miles, you are out of warranty for those batteries.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Long story short: I got hit by a drunk driver. The Jeep was in the shop for 46 days. I got it back and the battery was dead as a door nail. Cause a ton of funky stuff. Wipers turning on. Turn signals flashing. All the dash lights. Rough idle and no acceleration once jumped. Dealer said both the main battery and Aux battery were trashed. Insurance agreed to cover the cost for both batteries (assuming it was the small batteries) as the other insurance obviously took responsibility. Before finding that out, advisor tells me I have to pay for both batteries because they are maintenance items. Prior to the accident they were perfectly fine though.
Did you get an estimate for battery replacement that was nearly $2,000?
Sponsored