Battery replacement

REW48

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Went to replace the batteries in 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL with the 2.0 liter engine and auto trans. and found out mine didn't have the second battery in it. It has the box it sets in but no battery or leads. Replaced the main battery and now my power steps won't retract. They start to then just stop. Am I overlooking something?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Went to replace the batteries in 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL with the 4.0 liter engine and auto trans. and found out mine didn't have the second battery in it. It has the box it sets in but no battery or leads. Replaced the main battery and now my power steps won't retract. They start to then just stop. Am I overlooking something?
yes. For one, that engine doesn’t exist.

do you mean the 4 cylinder, the 2.0 turbo? The secondary battery there is the 48V etorque battery.

OP
OP
REW48

REW48

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes. For one, that engine doesn’t exist.

do you mean the 4 cylinder, the 2.0 turbo? The secondary battery there is the 48V etorque battery.
Yes 2.0 turbo and it doesn't have the second battery in it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yes 2.0 turbo and it doesn't have the second battery in it.
It does. You just don't know where it is and have no business changing it yourself. Your problem with your power steps needs to be looked at on its own, what brand are they?

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
the second battery is under the left rear seat under the jeep

Sponsored

OP
OP
REW48

REW48

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does. You just don't know where it is and have no business changing it yourself. Your problem with your power steps needs to be looked at on its own, what brand are they?
AMP Research on the power steps. Why is the reason I have no business changing the 2nd battery myself. You Tube videos show it to be under the hood under fuse and relay box.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
domt know it has water and air cooling lines going to it

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Enigineers :(
Your talking about 2 very different batteries. The one under the hood is for the start/stop function non-eTorque systems. Easily replaceable and available at auto parts stores.
The battery under the back seat is a lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery and is part of the e-Torque mild hybrid system. It's actually not inside right under the seat cushion, it's on the undercarriage below the rear seat area. Replacing it is a lot more involved than replacing the battery under the hood and you're not gonna walk into a parts store and buy one. It's also covered by an 8 year warranty and very expensive so if there is a problem with it, have it replaced under warranty.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
AMP Research on the power steps. Why is the reason I have no business changing the 2nd battery myself. You Tube videos show it to be under the hood under fuse and relay box.
That is only for the 3.6 with ESS. If you could even get your hands on a 48V replacement battery, you absolutely do not have the means to replace it at home.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Go to whoever installed the steps and have them take a look.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
i have that battery in my 2.0 so its not only 4 the 3.6

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
D
Did you purchase your Wrangler used? If so maybe the previous owner modified it to use only one battery?
If not, your start/stop battery will be under the first battery.
This is a YouTube link showing how to get to it.
YouTube Vid replace Start/Stop battery

I have no idea why your steps are not working correctly. You say they start to retract then quit. I was wondering if they were powered directly from the battery you replaced. I was thinking bad connection but if they are trying to work, it doesn't sound like a connection problem.
Sponsored