Sponsored

Battery Replacement Question for the Experts

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW

If you have the tow package you will want to buy and carry a 68368854AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array.

If you do not have the tow packageyou will want to buy and carry a 68368853AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thank @Jebiruph and do search out all his ESS related posts...

Thanks largely to Jerry, I am up to speed somewhat on this stuff...

....but evenJerry and I have found we learn more each day.. there is a lot to it so to speak..

Thanks to Jerry, I have my Dual Battery Monitoring set-up on my JL.

Thanks @Rhinebeck01, but I wouldn't recommend searching all ESS related posts on anyone. :)

Start with these newest posts, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/ and https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-battery-cable-caution-renamed.66247/#post-1401203.

Particularly the battery management thread as that is targeted for improving reliability. If you do nothing else, at least install the fused bypass jumper and disconnect the aux battery negative cable before leaving civilization. That's not as fancy as @Rhinebeck01 s current setup, but he ran that way for a long time and it still eliminates the negative impact of the aux battery.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
@DanW

Very little out there in regard to an Aux battery replacement..

IF I were to replace the Aux on my JL today, I would go with the DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA Part # AUX14-1 .

There are a handful of others out there but this Diehard offering seems to be the pick of the litter right now.... that's not saying much though..

No, no Odyssey or Northstar replacement for the Aux that I am aware of..

As for the life span of the stock batteries(2), it is a real crap shoot. A game that I will not play..

I considered myself very lucky to have gotten 3 yrs out of the Main battery before I opted to change it before it had issues / before it died and left me stranded somewhere (I interstate travel lots) .... so, I replaced the Main with a Northstar.

As you and many other's here know, I do not use/run with the Aux battery so my stock Aux just sits in it's cradle... sits doing nothing, acting as a backup if I were to ever need it. I do maintain it with a battery maintainer..

For those that have not seen my dual battery set-up ..... the set-up that has me running with just the Main, you can read more / see, etc. here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/post-1340536 .

NO, my setup, is not one of those pricey $2000+ aftermarket affairs... I am not foolish enough to go that route/spend that kind of $ with my type of vehicle usage..

Here is a pic of my set-up..

Metering.jpg

Awesome setup @Rhinebeck01 ! Where can I purchase a monitor like yours? And what other parts would i need to complete setup?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
snipe:
Particularly the battery management thread as that is targeted for improving reliability. If you do nothing else, at least install the fused bypass jumper and disconnect the aux battery negative cable before leaving civilization. That's not as fancy as @Rhinebeck01 s current setup, but he ran that way for a long time and it still eliminates the negative impact of the aux battery.
YES, I ran for over two years with just the N1-N2 fused bypass jumper in place and the Aux negative cable disconnected. Doing that ...with that, I was running with no issues... just with the Main battery.. I knew though that with this set-up (running with just the Main) I had to minimize use of the StopStart system of the JL.. Thank you @SmartStopStart.com .

It behooves any an all JL/JLU owner's that travel lots, get off the beaten path, etc.. , to carry an N1-N2 fused bypass jumper. I'd say, also carry a spare high amp fuse array.. The JL/JLU owner, also needs to know how/when to bring the fused bypass jumper into play...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You are a Godsend, buddy! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this and all the other great help you've given in the past!
Applies to any and all 2018 JL/JLU's.... do know that some 2018's that were assembled at the factory, very late in the production year / 2018 , may already have this PCM update.
Ok, mine was a very early one, so it certainly will benefit. Plus, I can hear that turbine singing away with max air! Lol!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My much less fancy, but equally effective, bypass setup. All credit to Jerry and Bill... easy to implement and great peace of mind.

(I do still maintain my AUX with a tender 2x a month.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts 1DD6D4D0-551D-4C80-9ACF-E0D7B5591291
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts 541A2709-4C03-401E-A2ED-1ECDB6A86415

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha, thought I was going nuts not finding a link to "Jerry's Kit". Now I finally know there is no assembled kit. Too bad. Your installation looks very clean.
@sourdough

Guess Jerry got bored and figured he'd help this feeble ole 72 yr. old guy out... do me a solid... and he did the dual meter kit assembly for me at his place and mailed it to me. I am very appreciative that he did this for me...

I took what what he sent me and I installed it along with a new Northstar battery.. YES, it is a "very clean " set-up.

Reality is though... as mentioned in my earlier post... and Jerry also mentioned earlier.... that ...

that, I ran just fine for over 2 yrs. with just an N1-N2 fused bypass jumper and the Aux negative cable disconnected... and watching not to use StopStart to often or at all..

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My Jeep is justr over 3 years old and my experience with OEM batteries over the years has been that they last between 3 and 5 years.

My JL batteries have performed well, thankfully, with no issues. So they may actually make it to 5. And I don't use the ESS, at all, so maybe that has helped. But I'm prepared at any time for one or both to go belly up. I intend to replace the big battery with a Northstar (Batteries Plus XG2 Premium made by Northstar, but with a better warranty). Pretty sure they have a suitable replacement.

But my question is about the small battery. Is there a pure lead AGM to replace it, such as by Northstar or Odyssey? I don't want that little sucker to be the weak link. @Rhinebeck01 or others, do you know if they offer one in that small size?

I've got a Northstar (XG2) in my JK and it has performed brilliantly. MUCH better than the OEM or DuraLast Golds it has had. (Had to replace a Duralast Gold that choked out early, so not impressed) It has been especially good for extended running of accessories, lights, and for winching. I don't think I've ever probed its limits.

Meanwhile, the OEM batts in my JL soldier on. It will be interesting to see if they make it to 5 years. If they do, I may go ahead and replace them at that point as a maintenance item, figuring I got lucky.

One more thing. Since I have the FCA lifetime warranty, I want to keep the factory battery set up so as no future electrical failures can be blamed on battery mods, so unfortunately, those ideas are non starters.

The X2 Power battery by Northstar looks like an excellent choice. And I agree with Rinebeck01 on the DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA Part # AUX14-1 for the aux. battery replacement.

But I have a question: What is the correct BCI Group Size for the main battery? Is it Group 24 or is it Group 48, or what?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Thank you Rhinebeck01.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries are a expendable setup buy the best you can for your current and future needs and make them easy to get to and bypass, FCA should be shot for their piss poor design.

Lots of options are available to bypass the aux if it craps out and there are other design options that replace the entire Jeep battery setup but it’s up to the owner on what he or she chooses to do.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My reality is, I have aux. power needs and added eight additions fuses. With power needs for a winch, gmrs, cb, driving lights, twin ARB compressors. I am thinking of going to Genesis dual battery system and wondering if I can fit it in, Haha.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts JL battery
Sponsored