looking at the welds on my jl and wondering what if anything jeep with do
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The weld on the track bar bracket is pretty off line. So is the end of the coil bucket weld. There was a recall for this. The dealer is supposed to take pictures and send them to FCA for evaluation. If repairs are necessary, FCA sends a welder to the dealership to grind the bad welds and re-weld them. I had this done on my 2018 and the guy actually did a good job (can't say they all will).

OP
OP

Jnaugle

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
The weld on the track bar bracket is pretty off line. So is the end of the coil bucket weld. There was a recall for this. The dealer is supposed to take pictures and send them to FCA for evaluation. If repairs are necessary, FCA sends a welder to the dealership to grind the bad welds and re-weld them. I had this done on my 2018 and the guy actually did a good job (can't say they all will).
just makes me wonder.... there are many welds on my frame that look like this and i never got the recall notice

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
just makes me wonder.... there are many welds on my frame that look like this and i never got the recall notice
I would reach out to @JeepCares for guidance, and they will also work with your dealer if necessary.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Good luck with that. I’m preparing a post to be put up in the next couple of days, chronicling my weld woes. Short version is, my 18 Sahara was part of the track bar frame bracket weld recall. It was repaired before I took delivery by the dealer, but the repair looks worse than the off-seam weld probably did. After I had 3 independent inspections by three qualified welders, all who stated the repair was unacceptable, jeep will still not correct the faulty weld repair. I am in the process of exploring all legal remedies.
I'd add the Rusty's brace for $100 to help the area.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Cut through all the B.S., With the dealerships, if you dont have the time, and take it to a reputable welder. He should be able to touch up about anything, in a few minutes. Then get a can of spray paint to keep it from rusting. People over think these things.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Cut through all the B.S., With the dealerships, if you dont have the time, and take it to a reputable welder. He should be able to touch up about anything, in a few minutes. Then get a can of spray paint to keep it from rusting. People over think these things.

agreed...... I fix anything I can myself, or what I can’t, I get it done by my buddy, who is a welder. I’ll let the dealership deal with any computer or electronics problems, as it’s above my pay grade...lol. This will only cost a minimal amount of money, if any, maybe a few beers. But it’s worth it for the piece of mind... I know some people believe they need to have Jeep fix everything or they feel like their getting ripped off, but I’m getting older, and don’t sweat the small stuff anymore......:)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
agreed...... I fix anything I can myself, or what I can’t, I get it it done by my buddy, who is a welder. I’ll let the dealership deal with any computer or electronics problems, as it’s above my pay grade...lol. This will only cost a minimal amount of money, if any, maybe a few beers. But it’s worth it for the piece of mind... I know some people believe they need to have Jeep fix everything or they feel like their getting ripped off, but I’m getting older, and don’t sweat the small stuff anymore......:)
It seems around 40 is the cutoff of the generation of those who are problem solvers versus the next generation that are problem seekers.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

This ^^^^^

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Prep is everything in welding. If you decide to take it to someone to fix it, don't expect it to take a "few minutes" or to pay in "beer". Do either of those things...and you're likely to have a shitty job done.
not if you know who your dealing with.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe...maybe not. How qualified are you to judge a good weld from a bad one and the processes involved?

My point, if you can't do the welding yourself...you likely don't know enough about the process to do so....it's usually not that you simply don't own the equipment b/c I've never known anyone that could weld that didn't think it a necessity to own one. They are simply one of the most useful tools you can have.

Granted, there've been guys that couldn't own one due to some outside force...lost a job, living in an apartment so no place to store/use it, got divorced had to sell, etc....but all of them planned to get another one as soon as their personal situation allowed for it.
Im very qualified, been around it most of my life, I just suck at it. My point was, and maybe I said it wrong, or not detailed enough, if you know someone that can weld, why not fix it yourself. That’s it, I’m not going to argue with you, I have to much respect for you, your knowledge and your capabilities. Find another worthier opponent....:)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Maybe...maybe not. How qualified are you to judge a good weld from a bad one and the processes involved?

My point, if you can't do the welding yourself...you likely don't know enough about the process to do so....it's usually not that you simply don't own the equipment b/c I've never known anyone that could weld that didn't think it a necessity to own one. They are simply one of the most useful tools you can have.

Granted, there've been guys that couldn't own one due to some outside force...lost a job, living in an apartment so no place to store/use it, got divorced had to sell, etc....but all of them planned to get another one as soon as their personal situation allowed for it.
Well actually, unless we are x-raying the welds, we really don't know if they are "good or bad". We only know that they aren't aesthetically pleasing.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the comments in this thread are priceless lol

There’s a very fine line between finding a problem after warranty is up and fixing it and finding a problem during warranty period and having FCA fix it. That doesn’t mean this guy is lazy or under 40 years old.

Nothing at all to do with generations.

Financially it would be very ignorant to pay out-of-pocket for an issue that is covered under warranty in my opinion.

It’s also very ignorant to label everyone in a generation. Those of us under the age of “40” aren’t all lazy or lefty..

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Some of the comments in this thread are priceless lol

There’s a very fine line between finding a problem after warranty is up and fixing it and finding a problem during warranty period and having FCA fix it. That doesn’t mean this guy is lazy or under 40 years old.

Nothing at all to do with generations.

Financially it would be very ignorant to pay out-of-pocket for an issue that is covered under warranty in my opinion.

It’s also very ignorant to label everyone in a generation. Those of us under the age of “40” aren’t all lazy or lefty..
Well quite a few of us don't trust a dealership to change the oil, let alone weld on the frame. I personally think it's ignorant to let the dealership touch anything I can do myself, warranty or not. I know what it takes to become a dealership tech and it ain't much.
Sponsored