Bad welds what to do???

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well quite a few of us don't trust a dealership to change the oil, let alone weld on the frame. I personally think it's ignorant to let the dealership touch anything I can do myself, warranty or not. I know what it takes to become a dealership tech and it ain't much.
Good luck with that. My dealerships been great. Must have a bunch of 40 & 50 year old problem solvers back there I guess..

Btw the dealership doesn’t fix the welds.
Advertisement

wvgasguy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Well actually, unless we are x-raying the welds, we really don't know if they are "good or bad". We only know that they aren't aesthetically pleasing.
No X-Ray? Just cut a strap out and do destructive testing Then you know for sure if the weld was good

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Agree on the generational thing. Once again, broad generalizations may be somewhat correct in the aggregate, but fail miserably when applied to individual cases.

As for fixing it yourself....I'm in the camp that says if you want something done right, (or to the level you require, based upon your own understanding of acceptable practices)....do it yourself. It's the best way to be sure it was done to your standards.

Not sure how that equates to being financially 'ignorant' (if ignorance is defined as 'lacking education or knowledge') and seems as arbitrary and presumptuous based upon yet another broad generalization of 'vehicle warranty issues' as some of the generational commentary.
Again, fixing something yourself is fine and dandy, I do it quite a bit, however, if you’re still in warranty and you make all these large repairs yourself, it would appear that you would “lack knowledge” of personal finance.

Whether or not you believe it, the 3-5 year warranty period was factored into the price you paid. Otherwise vehicles would be much cheaper to an extent.

So, the fact that you’re already paying for it and then go choose to do it yourself and spend more money doesn’t mean you’re some kind of billy badass, it just means you’re paying for something twice.

So, since we are talking about a quite major repair (frame welds) for all you problem solvers over 40 this question goes out to you:

Assuming you’re still in your warranty period, if your engine were to blow-up, I’m guessing instead of a dealership visit, you’d prefer to rip the motor apart in your garage and rebuild it? Same for the transmission, you would pull it and repair it and if it’s not repairable you would buy a new one and put it in yourself vs just having the dealership pick it up and replace it?

I think not..

Again, fine line between fixing something yourself out of warranty to keep things moving and having FCA fix it under the warranty you all paid for knowingly or not.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Cut through all the B.S., With the dealerships, if you dont have the time, and take it to a reputable welder. He should be able to touch up about anything, in a few minutes. Then get a can of spray paint to keep it from rusting. People over think these things.

Nah, heck with that.

We pay big$$ for these things...Jeep owns it and should fix it and carry the warranty of the repair.

Doing it yourself voids warranty and could void any other warranty if the dealer notices it and wants to make a stink about it.

...and I sure ain't buying rattle cans and spraying the frame. That paint will flake off, not match and in no time and will begin showing rust.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Again, fixing something yourself is fine and dandy, I do it quite a bit, however, if you’re still in warranty and you make all these large repairs yourself, it would appear that you would “lack knowledge” of personal finance.

Whether or not you believe it, the 3-5 year warranty period was factored into the price you paid. Otherwise vehicles would be much cheaper to an extent.

So, the fact that you’re already paying for it and then go choose to do it yourself and spend more money doesn’t mean you’re some kind of billy badass, it just means you’re paying for something twice.

So, since we are talking about a quite major repair (frame welds) for all you problem solvers over 40 this question goes out to you:

Assuming you’re still in your warranty period, if your engine were to blow-up, I’m guessing instead of a dealership visit, you’d prefer to rip the motor apart in your garage and rebuild it? Same for the transmission, you would pull it and repair it and if it’s not repairable you would buy a new one and put it in yourself vs just having the dealership pick it up and replace it?

I think not..

Again, fine line between fixing something yourself out of warranty to keep things moving and having FCA fix it under the warranty you all paid for knowingly or not.
Hey mort, since you included me in your over 40 comment, I’ll respond. Of course I would warranty anything major, but if it’s something I can fix relatively inexpensively or have it fixed by someone that’s qualified to fix it, I choose not to get into it with the dealership. The back and forth, the trying to get them to do something about it crap. Waiting on him to call her or, I’ll get back with you, etc.... no thanks. Just saying.... hell some of these people are getting lawyers, no thanks, that kinda money will buy a lot of mods...... peace brother...:)

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey mort, since you included me in your over 40 comment, I’ll respond. Of course I would warranty anything major, but if it’s something I can fix relatively inexpensively or have it fixed by someone that’s qualified to fix it, I choose not to get into it with the dealership. The back and forth, the trying to get them to do something about it crap. Waiting on him to call her or, I’ll get back with you, etc.... no thanks. Just saying.... hell some of these people are getting lawyers, no thanks, that kinda money will buy a lot of mods...... peace brother...:)
I agree with you there, small things can be addressed at home especially if you plan on upgrading whatever it is in the future.

My main things is major repairs, and folks are eluding that they do everything at home which is cool, to each their own, but it just doesn’t make sense in the beginning if it’s something major.

Ive repaired/replaced plenty of major things out of warranty to keep things moving but during warranty I’d rather not (in a major repairs sense).

higbyz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
agreed...... I fix anything I can myself, or what I can’t, I get it done by my buddy, who is a welder. I’ll let the dealership deal with any computer or electronics problems, as it’s above my pay grade...lol. This will only cost a minimal amount of money, if any, maybe a few beers. But it’s worth it for the piece of mind... I know some people believe they need to have Jeep fix everything or they feel like their getting ripped off, but I’m getting older, and don’t sweat the small stuff anymore......:)
Hehehehe,not worth it

anigif_sub-buzz-8886-1473170903-6.gif

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Good luck with that. My dealerships been great. Must have a bunch of 40 & 50 year old problem solvers back there I guess..

Btw the dealership doesn’t fix the welds.
Good luck with what, getting something fixed right the first time? I don't know why you keep dancing around the age thing, I think 1 person made a stupid comment about that. I don't find most dealership service departments to be very competent. Has nothing to do with age. Of course if a motor or tranny blows I'm going to let Jeep take care of that. If I let a dealership or whoever Jeep sends out weld on my rig I see a giant pissing match that just ends in me fixing it myself anyway. To each his own.

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean K.

I’ve actually worked in all of the fields you mention lol

Mechanic
(Heavy Equipment & Aerospace)

Industrial Engineering Technician
(Aerospace Engineering & Mechanical Engineering)

Production Control (Aircraft)

Logistician (Aircraft)

I’ve worked with weld shop employees for nearly 9 years now in the Aerospace Industry.

What I do or have done at work has nothing to do with what I’m willing to do under warranty in my garage on my spare time with my spare money.

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't say it did...what I said, if you'll re-read is that I've seen inexperienced technicians do some really stupid stuff. I'm very surprised having worked in those industries that you say you haven't.
Believe me I have lol Both young Engineers and technicians but that doesn’t mean they are all bad and doesn’t mean those that I’ve observed making mistakes will ever make the same mistakes again with proper remedial training. In the Aerospace Industry you are not afforded too many mistakes before you see the door and for obvious reasons.

Either way, I see some of your points and understand you.

I deal with this stuff every day at work with my big boy pants on because I’m paid to do it. I paid FCA while they are work to do it for me during a period of time so that I could value the precious time with my children and wife. No sweat for me dropping it off at the dealer as much as takes on their dime and during their contractual time.

Now, when my warranty is up, I’ll certainly join you and maybe learn a thing or two.

Semper Fi

Cheers!

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Again, never said it did. I'm saying having seen what I have...I don't want to risk that an inexperienced tech at the dealer will screw something up I know how to do properly.

And I agree whole-heartedly, the time reference is much better spent with family rather than arguing with FCA about whether or not they'll warranty something (if it becomes a point of contention). Just went through a very similar "warranty" issue on our 3 month old Rav4 Hybrid and Toyota denied the claim and I fixed it myself rather than fighting it. Wife helped out too....guess that killed two birds with one stone, lol. ;)
Not at all what I said but ok..

Also with your most recent experience, Toyota denied your warranty claim, meaning instead of fixing it initially yourself you took it in for warranty lol My point exactly and thank you!! If I were denied I’d probably fix it myself as well (being there is no other option) but much like you, I’d at least bring it in initially and let them pay for it possibly. Glad this came full circle. I feel like a news reporter that just got my big break haha

1C63BB95-DD85-4BF5-9FFD-1435A742B316.gif

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
I would reach out to @JeepCares for guidance, and they will also work with your dealer if necessary.
Good luck with that. I’m preparing a post to be put up in the next couple of days, chronicling my weld woes. Short version is, my 18 Sahara was part of the track bar frame bracket weld recall. It was repaired before I took delivery by the dealer, but the repair looks worse than the off-seam weld probably did. After I had 3 independent inspections by three qualified welders, all who stated the repair was unacceptable, jeep will still not correct the faulty weld repair. I am in the process of exploring all legal remedies.

Approved tracker bar bracket weld

9TpooV4.jpg

My tracker bar bracket repair weld

cS1q3MW.jpg

MORTON

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just dropped the rig off at the dealership to have the new AE trackbar installed (for free under warranty).

5 min exchange, in a brand new 2019 loaded RAM 1500 Longhorn loaner for lunch.

Nice being able to value my time eating a delicious bacon cheeseburger vice dirty, stinky, sweaty in my garage on my back and all the while saving some coin potentially.

Call me crazy :)

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have an '18 Sport but haven't received any recall about welds or tracker bar or anything... is it just a matter of time? lol (no biggie just wondering...)

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just dropped the rig off at the dealership to have the new AE trackbar installed (for free under warranty).

5 min exchange, in a brand new 2019 loaded RAM 1500 Longhorn loaner for lunch.

Nice being able to value my time eating a delicious bacon cheeseburger vice dirty, stinky, sweaty in my garage on my back and all the while saving some coin potentially.

Call me crazy :)
What does that have to do with welds?

Advertisement

ATO4x4

Advertisement