Sponsored

Bad welds what to do???

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The part you keep missing is that having a dealership bolt a part on is a much different endeavor than having something welded. But you do you man.
Feel better now? The part you’ve missed the entire time is dealerships don’t fix welds. But I reminded you about that like 15 posts ago. My previous post was about time, something myself and another member (not you) spoke about. Nothing at all to do with bolt on’s and whatever direction you were headed there. Nice try though.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have an '18 Sport but haven't received any recall about welds or tracker bar or anything... is it just a matter of time? lol (no biggie just wondering...)
Have you checked the website yet? If it’s not listed on your VIN, there is recall information in the “issues and warranty’s” sub-section that has the build dates based on VIN. Hope this helps!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Feel better now? The part you’ve missed the entire time is dealerships don’t fix welds. But I reminded you about that like 15 posts ago. My previous post was about time, something myself and another member (not you) spoke about. Nothing at all to do with bolt on’s and whatever direction you were headed there. Nice try though.
Not what I said at all, but whatever.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
LOL

You got me there.

I liked two of your posts because you keep me engaged, wheels turning.

Until next time wise cricket.
Don't you find it slightly ironic that you got all butthurt about someone generalizing about a generation, but then you go on a tirade about how anyone who chooses to fix something differently then you is ignorant?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you find it slightly ironic that you got all butthurt about someone generalizing about a generation, but then you go on a tirade about how anyone who chooses to fix something differently then you is ignorant?
Never said that not one time. In fact, I said clearly that I myself do it out of warranty to keep things moving. Also said, in my opinion, that paying for a warranty knowingly or not and DIY’ing a major issue during that period is essentially financially ignorant. (Paying twice)

If you can find a quote by me saying exactly this:

“anyone who chooses to fix something differently than me is ignorant”

then by all means, produce it :)

I’ll be waiting...

Wheels turnin’ baby! I got all night!

EDIT:

I thought there was some good stuff that came out of those conversations! I got to see another members point of view, which I did value.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Never said that not one time. In fact, I said clearly that I myself do it out of warranty to keep things moving. Also said, in my opinion, that paying for a warranty knowingly or not and DIY’ing a major issue during that period is essentially financially ignorant. (Paying twice)

If you can find a quote by me saying exactly this:

“anyone who chooses to fix something differently than me is ignorant”

then by all means, produce it :)

I’ll be waiting...

Wheels turnin’ baby! I got all night!

EDIT:

I thought there was some good stuff that came out of those conversations! I got to see another members point of view, which I did value.
I'm not gonna keep going in circles with you man. Like I've said several times, to each their own.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Good luck with that. I’m preparing a post to be put up in the next couple of days, chronicling my weld woes. Short version is, my 18 Sahara was part of the track bar frame bracket weld recall. It was repaired before I took delivery by the dealer, but the repair looks worse than the off-seam weld probably did. After I had 3 independent inspections by three qualified welders, all who stated the repair was unacceptable, jeep will still not correct the faulty weld repair. I am in the process of exploring all legal remedies.

Approved tracker bar bracket weld

9TpooV4.jpg

My tracker bar bracket repair weld

cS1q3MW.jpg
Case in point.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Case in point.

Switching gears here a bit much but I’m stinkin’ with ya. Like a spider monkey.

... okay, #1 again, dealerships do not repair welds, it is out of their capabilities, this is why FCA sends someone just to inspect them in THIS case if they are questionable. If they are bad, it’s not like your dealership is paying a welder trade to sit around all day (call your dealership and ask if they have a certified welder on staff, I bet they don’t), Keep in mind 99% of vehicle maintenance done at your local dealership does not require an actual welder trade. It would be far too expensive to hire a welder to basically just sit around all day. They make pretty good money actually. The dealerships will usually hire a third party welder to come in and perform the weld and then that weld is inspected again by an FCA rep in THIS case (likely a materials engineer or tech rep) at a pass or fail basis.

Don’t get it twisted, this entire debate came on when someone told the OP to just fix it at home himself. Clearly the OP based on his/her initial post is not experienced in welding and had asked “what if anything Jeep can do” to remedy his/her weld issue. So, again, I wouldn’t recommend someone attempting to fix something at home they are not comfortable with and furthermore, again, why do it anyways when you’re paying for the service.

Results may vary, whether you do it yourself while under warranty (no one is perfect we’ve all screwed up at some point) or you have a dealership deal with it.

Welding repairs to the general public is a major repair because you must (should be) be certified to do it.

Now, most auto manufacturers have welders on staff at the actual plant and most custom shops in town do as well because they are heavily modding but your local dealerships do not, they have them on speed dial when required.

If you cannot understand what I’ve said above, very clearly, then I’m afraid I cannot help you understand.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Switching gears here a bit much but I’m stinkin’ with ya. Like a spider monkey.

... okay, #1 again, dealerships do not repair welds, it is out of their capabilities, this is why FCA sends someone just to inspect them in THIS case if they are questionable. If they are bad, it’s not like your dealership is paying a welder trade to sit around all day (call your dealership and ask if they have a certified welder on staff, I bet they don’t), Keep in mind 99% of vehicle maintenance done at your local dealership does not require an actual welder trade. It would be far too expensive to hire a welder to basically just sit around all day. They make pretty good money actually. The dealerships will usually hire a third party welder to come in and perform the weld and then that weld is inspected again by an FCA rep in THIS case (likely a materials engineer or tech rep) at a pass or fail basis.

Don’t get it twisted, this entire debate came on when someone told the OP to just fix it at home himself. Clearly the OP based on his/her initial post is not experienced in welding and had asked “what if anything Jeep can do” to remedy his/her weld issue. So, again, I wouldn’t recommend someone attempting to fix something at home they are not comfortable with and furthermore, again, why do it anyways when you’re paying for the service.

Results may vary, whether you do it yourself while under warranty (no one is perfect we’ve all screwed up at some point) or you have a dealership deal with it.

Welding repairs to the general public is a major repair because you must (should be) be certified to do it.

Now, most auto manufacturers have welders on staff at the actual plant and most custom shops in town do as well because they are heavily modding but your local dealerships do not, they have them on speed dial when required.

If you cannot understand what I’ve said above, very clearly, then I’m afraid I cannot help you understand.
Never mind. We are obviously failing to communicate. I understand perfectly that dealerships don't have welders on staff. You are again completely missing the point. I know several people who are certified welders. I wouldn't trust any of them to weld on my Jeep. The one person who I would trust has no certification. Your results will most definitely vary.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Your results will most definitely vary.
Hey! We agree on something! :)

It’s all good, have a good evening brother and happy Wheelin’ that’s all that really matters!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Already countered with my earlier relation of RAV4 story. Wonder why you didn't tag me on it? ;)

Glad it was taken care of quickly for you......... :like:

Sidenote: What's an "AE" trackbar?
I figured you were watching, it was fresh.

It was awesome!

the AE denotes the revision. So if you take most part numbers the last two letters will denote the revision. Most new revised parts are currently on an ending of AE I believe. At least the newest trackbar is at the AE revision so far. They’ll probably be another soon LOL

EDIT:

Note: If there isn’t two letters at the end of a given part number for your rig that would mean there are no revisions yet.

Also, I just realized they moved this thread lol
Sponsored