Backup camera stopped working

jjolts

First Name
Joanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Compass
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass, 32k in miles. A few trips ago the backup camera stopped working. I only have a black screen that reads check entire surroundings. I have driven car twice since this happened still have the black screen, so annoying and a safety issue.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Try dis/reconnecting your battery

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Since this is a Wrangler JL Forum, I am not too sure about the Compass. Try the simple first. Does the rest of the screen work, for other things? Check all fuses to make sure they are seated fully. Have someone sit inside, in park, and put it in the manual rear camera mode. If it is still black, keep it in this mode and start wiggling wires that go to the camera, and see if there are any signs of a short.
Personally, I could live without the camera.
If the car is under 3 years old, since you bought it, it should still be under warranty.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass, 32k in miles. A few trips ago the backup camera stopped working. I only have a black screen that reads check entire surroundings. I have driven car twice since this happened still have the black screen, so annoying and a safety issue.
Others have fixed this issue by disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes. This resets everything.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I doubt it's a wire, and is more likely a software issue. My camera did that once, and was working again the next time I drove it. My wife's Renegade did the same thing. We will also occasionally get the camera image, without guidance markers (green, yellow, red lines). Being that it's a rare occurrence, and happing on two different models, I'm doubtful we both have a connection problem. It almost has to be software related. Almost like something isn't booting up or loading properly.

My dealership couldn't replicate it on either vehicle, but to be fair I can't either. Black screen has only happened once, and no lines has only happened a hand full of times over the last 2.5 years.