Backup Camera issue

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Yes sir, I do believe so, for me its been a long three years. I resorted to listening to music from my iPhone 11 pro with the ear buds for the last year.

I don't really understand why FCA / Uconnect has not fixed this problem sooner, however after three years of dealer service visits, hours of frustration on the phone with Uconnect support and their representatives... I received the first over the air update which made everything worse..... I really didn't think things could get worse, but Uconnect totally failed.

FCA Uconnect was no help, they simply ignored my emails and calls.

My last resort was posting the five video's on my post here in the forums and @JeepCares responded asking for my vin number. I again explained my problems to @JeepCares and the next day I received a noticed from them that I should be on the lookout for for an over the air download.

I was driving for about 30 minutes and when I turned the vehicle off, a notice flashed on the Uconnect screen that I had an over the air download. I selected install and when I returned from lunch the download installed. This is the SECOND over the air update,, I noticed an immediate difference.

All systems were operating correctly.....

Backup camera with words and lines - Working.
AM / FM / XM - Working.
Off Road Pages . Working.
iPhone connects via Bluetooth - Working
iPhone connects via USB - Working
Maps - Working (I'm no long in the pacific ocean)
Phone - working (No longer calling 911 on its own)

So, the second update is a WIN.

I again just don't understand why FCA / Uconnect makes it so hard and frustrating to get the update / FIX. Also this is a common problem, the dealer sales and service have to know it exists. I personally have been complaining for three years.

My advise is contact @JeepCares and ASK for the update. Send them your issue, your vin, and pic of your JL Uconnect software version. ASK for the over the air update.

I hope this helps you. Tim
Well I am getting my unit replaced Monday for a delamination issue (2 months into ownership). If the new one doesn't have the updated software I will be contacting @JeepCares . This is ridiculous for a 50k vehicle. I'm so frustrated with it. Thanks for your reply and glimmer of hope.
Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So frustrated. Got my new radio installed. Backed up no lines. How is it's they know there's a working update and yet they send an old radio with no update?!?! @JeepCares please message me

Resized_20210531_121212(1)(1).jpeg

Resized_20210531_121158(1)(1).jpeg

Resized_20210531_121222(1)(1).jpeg

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Took mine into the dealer, they said there's nothing they can do since it's the most recent firmware/flash update. They also stated they never see this issue with Apple CarPlay users, but since I'm using Android Auto, I'm the first time they've seen this (I don't believe it). The UConnect services finally fully activated, so that issue is resolved.

In doing my own testing, it appears to be a "race condition" when connecting my phone to either of the USB ports. Sometimes it'll recognize my phone, sometimes it won't, sometimes the backup lines are there before/after connecting the phone, sometimes they're not. I believe the system needs to be fully booted up (takes about 30-60 seconds, give or take), and only THEN I connect the phone: it all works perfect. Connect my phone and then start the car: no more backup lines. It's an odd issue, but keeps coming and going.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Took mine into the dealer, they said there's nothing they can do since it's the most recent firmware/flash update. They also stated they never see this issue with Apple CarPlay users, but since I'm using Android Auto, I'm the first time they've seen this (I don't believe it). The UConnect services finally fully activated, so that issue is resolved.

In doing my own testing, it appears to be a "race condition" when connecting my phone to either of the USB ports. Sometimes it'll recognize my phone, sometimes it won't, sometimes the backup lines are there before/after connecting the phone, sometimes they're not. I believe the system needs to be fully booted up (takes about 30-60 seconds, give or take), and only THEN I connect the phone: it all works perfect. Connect my phone and then start the car: no more backup lines. It's an odd issue, but keeps coming and going.
Just to give you one more data point with an Android user. For short drives I rarely plug my phone in. Even when I don't, it's still a 50/50 shot on whether or not I'll have lines backing out of the garage. My wife and I have started calling whether or not we think they'll be there when I start the Jeep.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Yeah, I've narrowed it down to that for now. Going to continue testing and see what happens.

I've also noticed that sometimes the Android Auto will only go to the right side speakers and no audio adjustments can be made. I unplug, plug back in, and it all comes back like normal (backup lines are a hit-or-miss). So strange and buggy...I really hope UConnect gets their act together to resolve this. Yes, I know it's a minor issue and doesn't impact driveability, however for a $50K vehicle, I expect stuff to work. Period.

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC

they are full of bull...CarPlay users have the same disappearing magic lines issue....my 2 month old Rubicon has the same problem.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
My wife's 2021 Sport Altitude with 8.4 has the same dissapearing backup lines. Ironically if we remote start it first, they are there. I'd equate it to boot time, but if we start it normally, the lines aren't there even after we get where we are going and try it again. Doesn't sound like I should bother taking it back at this point.

My 20 gladiator on the other hand, same 8.4, the lines are always there, 100% of the time (Shrug)

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer

Mine does this... and I use Apple CarPlay. Sometimes the lines are there, sometimes they aren't. Second day home with the Jeep (I've had it for about 4 weeks) and the screen was black when backing up, but that resolved itself by the evening.

I've had some issues recognizing the phone but I think I got moisture in the phone's charging port after a bike ride, which wouldn't be the Jeep's fault.

jetpuck73

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I now have ā€œcamera system unavailable ā€œ.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
For what itā€™s worth,

For my first 60 days of ownership my reverse lines were intermittent. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didnā€™t. I fought the problem good and hard pressing the VOLUME AND TUNE buttons doing the reset EVERY TIME to get them going again.

For the last 4 months my reverse lines have been working PERFECTLY. I donā€™t know why my radio is 100% perfect now.

There is no fix coming from Jeep imho. This problem has been an issue since 2018.

DO YOUR RESET!

Fight the fight! Press and hold that VOLUME AND TUNE BUTTON EVERY TIME the reverse lines disappear. Do this for 60 days.

Sponsored

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
For what itā€™s worth,

For my first 60 days of ownership my reverse lines were intermittent. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didnā€™t. I fought the problem good and hard pressing the VOLUME AND TUNE buttons doing the reset EVERY TIME to get them going again.

For the last 4 months my reverse lines have been working PERFECTLY. I donā€™t know why my radio is 100% perfect now.

There is no fix coming from Jeep imho. This problem has been an issue since 2018.

DO YOUR RESET!

Fight the fight! Press and hold that VOLUME AND TUNE BUTTON EVERY TIME the reverse lines disappear. Do this for 60 days.
When you do this reset do you lose any settings?

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Any update @onpatrol99 ? Still working flawlessly?
Sorry for the delay in response!

since the update, I have no experienced any problem or any of the previous outlined issues.

the update is a WIN in my book!

I am disappointed that it took 2 years for the problems to be addressed and resolved. Thatā€™s two years I could not use the very expensive UCONNECT system and all of the functions. Iā€™m more disappointed that the dealer sales and service are still selling the vehicle with various outdated versions of the defective Uconnect software.and the service departments which act like this Uconnect problems are something new and never seen before.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the delay in response!

since the update, I have no experienced any problem or any of the previous outlined issues.

the update is a WIN in my book!

I am disappointed that it took 2 years for the problems to be addressed and resolved. Thatā€™s two years I could not use the very expensive UCONNECT system and all of the functions. Iā€™m more disappointed that the dealer sales and service are still selling the vehicle with various outdated versions of the defective Uconnect software.and the service departments which act like this Uconnect problems are something new and never seen before.
I am still fighting with @JeepCares to get the update. Really frustrated, however, I have hope with your feedback. Thanks on behalf of the entire community suffering with this problem for your update to the resolution.
Sponsored