First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Not sure about powering a ham radio this way. There could be a lot of rf interference re the cars systems. It’s always been recommended to me to power my radios direct to battery.
73 de M5PM 🇬🇧
To echo M5PMs comment above, it is generally a best practice to "home run" positive and ground directly to/from battery with radios.

However, I deviated from this principle wiring two ham radios, a Yaesu ftm 400 and a Yaesu 891, to Aux 1 and Aux 2 respectively and used a ground stud in the pax footwell for ground. I have no noted interference from ABS which I ALWAYS experience on other vehicles, or any other sources, knock on wood. I do have the 392 which has a metal hood and do have the hood grounded via a braided ground strap to the body.

Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is experimenting, tinkering, and seeing what does or does not work. If you have the Aux switches and struggling to route wires directly to the battery, try the Aux switches staying mindful of the radio's amperage needs along with the Aux switch amp capacity.

Edit: I do prefer to mount my antennas on the hood rather than on the roof (Sky One touch) or the rear as the forward mounts usually provide for more reliable ground plane and better SWR performance. In my 392 install, I am below 1.5:1 on all VHF/UHF frequencies with the Diamond antenna and ftm 400. The HF ATAS 120a (can serve as VHF/UHF too) is tuned via the Yaesu 891 radio responding exceptionally well to hood mount.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
All,
I need help. Can I connect a dashcam (Rexing V1P max) and radar detector (Beltronics V995) together to the Accessory wire (#5, Orange/Pink Stripe wire), so that both of them turn on when the ignition is on, without creating load problems on Accessory wire #5?

Also, does the #5 wire has an internal fuse, or should I add a separate inline fuse to each accessory line?

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
To echo M5PMs comment above, it is generally a best practice to "home run" positive and ground directly to/from battery with radios.

However, I deviated from this principle wiring two ham radios, a Yaesu ftm 400 and a Yaesu 891, to Aux 1 and Aux 2 respectively and used a ground stud in the pax footwell for ground. I have no noted interference from ABS which I ALWAYS experience on other vehicles, or any other sources, knock on wood. I do have the 392 which has a metal hood and do have the hood grounded via a braided ground strap to the body.

Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is experimenting, tinkering, and seeing what does or does not work. If you have the Aux switches and struggling to route wires directly to the battery, try the Aux switches staying mindful of the radio's amperage needs along with the Aux switch amp capacity.

Edit: I do prefer to mount my antennas on the hood rather than on the roof (Sky One touch) or the rear as the forward mounts usually provide for more reliable ground plane and better SWR performance. In my 392 install, I am below 1.5:1 on all VHF/UHF frequencies with the Diamond antenna and ftm 400. The HF ATAS 120a (can serve as VHF/UHF too) is tuned via the Yaesu 891 radio responding exceptionally well to hood mount.
Thanks John. is that Diamond antenna on your hood (bonnet?) … mine‘s a Diamond mounted on the rear door hinge but I can’t get the SWR below 2

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Thanks John. is that Diamond antenna on your hood (bonnet?) … mine‘s a Diamond mounted on the rear door hinge but I can’t get the SWR below 2
You may not have a good ground and I have always struggled with rear mounted antennas getting SWR down even with a braided 1" wide ground strap between antenna base and the frame. I have much better success front mounting my antennas and chock it up to the ground plane from the hood (but just a hypothesis).

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Since this seems to be the authoritative thread on the AUX switches, I wanted to point out that we've decoded enough information in the CAN bus reverse engineering thread to allow you do power on/off any AUX devices, or change any particular AUX switch's configuration through software on certain user-created devices.

See the spreadsheet in this first post. Message ID is $314 on the CAN-IHS bus. If you have any questions, please ask in that thread. There's a learning curve to working with the CAN bus, but once you have the basics behind you, you can work magic with all of your AUX devices through software. It just takes a good use case and a programmer's mindset.

Sponsored

dswolfpack

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT S 80TH ANNIVERSARY
Has anyone installed a power inverter using the cabin wires. Is it a good idea to use the always on battery wire?

ak47ok47

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 1993 Ford F150 4x2 5.0 AOD
Howdy!
just got a used 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU. Previous owner has this thing installed. Jeep has a winch which seems to have it’s own relays and does not need the button this is connected to. The front light bar has it‘s own switch and fuse, same for pods. Aftermarket Radio has it’s own fuse as well. This is on a 20 amp fuse, I’ve traced the wires but they just disappear into the center console. I can post more pics if needed. The switch is a button that just clicks, don’t know if it’s a momentary or not. No emblems. Everything is just black plastic and the button is a dark greenish color

Any help will be much appreciated!!
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification A36FB94F-5918-4814-9C54-91FE49EA5D3D
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 853C4AD4-ED94-42D7-85E2-D2002FD62C6F
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 7C5897DF-15EB-4756-A679-1023021AEFDF

nofd843

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 / 2021 JLUXR
Does anyone have a pic or better determination of where there wire bundle was located in the passenger footwell... I pulled the panel and still could not find the appropriate bundle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jarg1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 1997 911 (aka 993), 2021 Telsa 3
Occupation
Jeep modder, among other things.
Does anyone have a pic or better determination of where there wire bundle was located in the passenger footwell... I pulled the panel and still could not find the appropriate bundle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I don't have a picture but I recently found the wires looped back very close to the center console. The end was wrapped with tape so it wasn't apparent it was the auxiliary wires. I could get to it without removing panels.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Behind and under the glovebox? That's where mine is. Take the glove box out for ease of use.

nofd843

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 / 2021 JLUXR
Found it, it was located left side of passenger footwell towards top of carpet folded back on itself and taped. Thanks for the help.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Found it, it was located left side of passenger footwell towards top of carpet folded back on itself and taped. Thanks for the help.
Is it just me, or does the offical Jeep Wrangler AUX wire installer just roll a dice and place the wires accordingly?! glove box, center consul, right footwell... SHEESSHHHH! hope no one with OCD is following this thread! :).

Thanks all for the great input on this thread and the entire forum! I've had so many JL questions answered and found some answers that I hadn't even questioned yet. Great community, thanks again!

Capt Starboard

Reactions: MOC

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
@Shots

I see you are preparing for your install and thinking it through ahead of time. That is a positive move.

DO think over what ground point you will use. Actually, think multiple ground points you could use in case one you think will work will not.

I have had a few guys PM or call me while they were in the process of doing the install... they could not get their light set working and their issue, all went back to a ground point..... that was no good, iffy, intermittent.

I pointed out a ground point or two, early on in this thread. Some guys have found the ground points worked and a couple of guys had issues with them.

At the ground point, do clean off all paint, etc..

Do use a ring connector and not just wind wire around a ground point bolt.

Best bet is to verify with a tester that your ground point is aok .... do this before you do your actual light set install.

You can use a 12v tester to test or just use say an old 12v trailer lamp receptacle or similar.

Point of this post is to let you and other's know that ground points, can often be lets say, a tiny stumbling point during an install using the Aux wires. YOU may be aware of what I just mentioned buy many are not aware of same..

Here is a great chart of all the GROUND points in the JL. This comes from the "JL Wiring Diagrams" download on this site, which has 90 items. Have found these resources REALLY good when working on the Jeep.

Cheers,
Capt Starboard

Attachments

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
My 2022 Sahara came from the factory with just a soft top. I bought a hardtop from a guy who had the daul top package from the factory. So it is a factory hard top. I have the Trailer and tow package, can I just buy the Mopar hard top cable to get the defroster and wiper to work from one of my Aux switches. Since it would power the defroster, I would think it would need to be one of the 40amp switches. Can I get the wiper and defroster to work off one of the Aux switches? Or is it going to take somebody that knows more about the wiring to get it working?
Sponsored