agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Well it made it to 4 days of driving and went to go to work this morning and all the bells and whistles are on the dash, locked in park, another call to the dealer and another drive 45 minutes away for them to look at it again. I guess it wasn't the aux. battery.
Sponsored

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Well I guess it wasn't the aux battery. 4 days after it started with all the bells and whistles, locked in park. Had to leave it at home and take our truck so back to the dealer it goes this week.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well I guess it wasn't the aux battery. 4 days after it started with all the bells and whistles, locked in park. Had to leave it at home and take our truck so back to the dealer it goes this week.
It may very well have been... battery(2) related last time.

If they replaced the Aux battery and left / did not replace a problematic, on it's last legs, Main battery well, that problematic Main battery that is connected in parallel with the Aux battery may have killed your new Aux battery..

Also, if the Tech that replaced that Aux battery screwed up and he blew N3 fuse in the high amp fuse array.... then your JL's alternator has not been charging your Aux battery (it can't thanks to blown N#) and it has depleted.

I did mention in an earlier post to get load test results for BOTH batteries for the Service Dept.
This time ask for load test results for each battery.

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
It may very well have been... battery(2) related last time.

If they replaced the Aux battery and left / did not replace a problematic, on it's last legs, Main battery well, that problematic Main battery that is connected in parallel with the Aux battery may have killed your new Aux battery..

Also, if the Tech that replaced that Aux battery screwed up and he blew N3 fuse in the high amp fuse array.... then your JL's alternator has not been charging your Aux battery (it can't thanks to blown N#) and it has depleted.

I did mention in an earlier post to get load test results for BOTH batteries for the Service Dept.
This time ask for load test results for each battery.
Yes you did and I forgot to ask. We replaced the main battery about 2 weeks ago thinking it was that, so that battery is brand new. It's going back on Thursday. :(

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Yes you did and I forgot to ask. We replaced the main battery about 2 weeks ago thinking it was that, so that battery is brand new. It's going back on Thursday. :(
My husband disconnected the main battery after I left for work and he said pushed down on the fuse box. And it went right into drive for him. hmmmm

Sponsored

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Great day 5 after the last visit to the dealer and once again I head out to work and it goes through all it's checks and balances and locks me in park, service ess system, service everything basically. Called the dealer, can't do anything for us until after 9/27 really! Called a dealer closer and they don't want to be bothered with it. Now waiting on the dealer that we bought it from to see if they can get it in sooner. This is really getting old - over an hour one way to drop it off and then another back.

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Great day 5 after the last visit to the dealer and once again I head out to work and it goes through all it's checks and balances and locks me in park, service ess system, service everything basically. Called the dealer, can't do anything for us until after 9/27 really! Called a dealer closer and they don't want to be bothered with it. Now waiting on the dealer that we bought it from to see if they can get it in sooner. This is really getting old - over an hour one way to drop it off and then another back.
Update - nothing really has changed - have an appointment for 9/27 but still driving it or trying to when it lets me. Yesterday it felt like I lost power steering when I came to a stop and the drive light was flashing.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Update - nothing really has changed - have an appointment for 9/27 but still driving it or trying to when it lets me. Yesterday it felt like I lost power steering when I came to a stop and the drive light was flashing.
That's terrible. The issue with the battery system in the JLs is that when the aux dies it will deplete the main and kill it because theyre connected in parallel. When you replaced the main only and left the dead AUX in place it probably killed your brand new main. Now your brand new main is killing your new AUX.

Have yo try connecting a trickle charger to it? it could be that the MAIN was very low and it drained the AUX and you are stuck on this endless cycle of both batteries draining each other.

Expensive lesson for you but.

1) Never trust the dealer. I know we want to trust them and they have a shiny venue. But their business model is deceiving by nature. You're gonna keep going there and fighting them and throwing money at overpriced shitty service. It isn't worth it.
2) Whenever you replace either AUX or MAIN, you have to replace both batteries. Learn how to do the job yourself and if that is too much you can always bypass the AUX battery and just have somebody else deal with your main.
3) Buy a trickle charger and plug your Jeep once every 2 weeks or every week.

I went through a similar nightmare you are going through. I replaced both batteries with new ones and my Jeep is now perfect. All your issues would be over if you just go ahead and buy two new batteries. I trickle charge weekly. As soon as I notice AUX battery issues I am gonna bypass it forever. My next battery is gonna be a Main battery only.

This story of people getting shafted by dealers keeps popping over and over again. And somehow, there is always someone who bends over and has to post about how his/her dealer is "great".

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
That's terrible. The issue with the battery system in the JLs is that when the aux dies it will deplete the main and kill it because theyre connected in parallel. When you replaced the main only and left the dead AUX in place it probably killed your brand new main. Now your brand new main is killing your new AUX.

Have yo try connecting a trickle charger to it? it could be that the MAIN was very low and it drained the AUX and you are stuck on this endless cycle of both batteries draining each other.

Expensive lesson for you but.

1) Never trust the dealer. I know we want to trust them and they have a shiny venue. But their business model is deceiving by nature. You're gonna keep going there and fighting them and throwing money at overpriced shitty service. It isn't worth it.
2) Whenever you replace either AUX or MAIN, you have to replace both batteries. Learn how to do the job yourself and if that is too much you can always bypass the AUX battery and just have somebody else deal with your main.
3) Buy a trickle charger and plug your Jeep once every 2 weeks or every week.

I went through a similar nightmare you are going through. I replaced both batteries with new ones and my Jeep is now perfect. All your issues would be over if you just go ahead and buy two new batteries. I trickle charge weekly. As soon as I notice AUX battery issues I am gonna bypass it forever. My next battery is gonna be a Main battery only.
I watch my battery levels while I'm driving now and it's staying between 13 and 14. What is weird though when I take my foot off of the gas, the battery level goes up. I would think while I've got the foot on the pedal it should be charging the battery? Me being a girl maybe I'm wrong I don't know. We haven't tried hooking up a battery charger to the main battery

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I watch my battery levels while I'm driving now and it's staying between 13 and 14. What is weird though when I take my foot off of the gas, the battery level goes up. I would think while I've got the foot on the pedal it should be charging the battery? Me being a girl maybe I'm wrong I don't know. We haven't tried hooking up a battery charger to the main battery
Plug a battery charger. it will charge both main and aux because they are connected in parallel. The numbers you are seeing are the alternator voltage trying to charge the battery.

If the alternator is always charging your batteries there is a good chance there is an issue. In my case, after trickle charging or driving for over 20 minutes or so my voltage stays at around 12.8~12.7. That's when the batteries aren't charging.

When my Jeep had issues I tested the voltage of BOTH main and aux with my voltmeter and the voltage was good on both. A weak battery will still charge up. You need a load test if you really wanna test them. IMO the best thing you can do is get rid of those pos batteries and get some solid ones. I got odyssey as my main and diehard platinum as aux. Solid batteries. I also had a dealer replace a dead AUX battery on my Jeep under warranty. I kept having issues until I replaced both main and aux at the same time.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Update: The dealer replaced the aux battery yesterday, not under warranty, it's a maintenance thing but should have lasted closer to 5 years not 3. $374 later.
It’s a 1 year battery. It fits in one hand.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Why not by-pass the aux and see if you still have issues? Just remember to disable the start stop by pressing in the button prior to using your jeep.

OP
OP
agpthng

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I absolutely HATE the "because I'm a girl....." I don't hate you. I hate that someone instilled this into your head.

Don't sell yourself short nor let anyone else trash you because of your gender.
I have several female friends who are engineers at NASA. aka if you need a rocket scientist SHE can help.

A better way to phrase it would be to say ... "I don't know much about electricity..."

Lots of guys (and girls) are pretty clueless in the "sparks and magic" category of electrical engineering. No shame in not knowing. And lack of knowledge has nothing to do with your plumbing.
Thank you for the positive MOJO!

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Why not by-pass the aux and see if you still have issues? Just remember to disable the start stop by pressing in the button prior to using your jeep.
What happens if you forget to press the start stop button?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
What happens if you forget to press the start stop button?
ESS event will use your main battery. It’s ok if you forget once in awhile but you definitely don’t want to make a habit of it.
Sponsored