Aux Battery

Icinia

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk’n
Anyone else experience problems with the aux battery? At the beginning of Covid I didn’t drive my Jeep for 5 days and it died. The electrical system went crazy and it had to be towed to the dealership. They replaced the aux battery then. In Montana the windchill has been -35* so I’ve been starting my vehicle or driving it somewhere daily. Today while out running errands the check engine and aux battery light comes on at a red light. Call the dealership while I’m stopped and they tell me it’s ok the aux battery does that when it’s cold. I ask if I’m good to finish errands. They tell me yes. Pull up to a coffee kiosk to get coffee, put it in park, (engine still running) finish my transaction, put it in drive, and I hear a clunk and the Jeep won’t budge and the aux battery and sway bar disconnect light is flashing. Put it back in park, then drive, and it does the same thing. Wont budge, and the D on the gear shift is flashing. Tried jumping the battery twice. Long story short I ended up having to have it towed to the dealership but it’s Friday and they are booked tomorrow so can’t look at it till Monday. Anyone else have weird issues with the aux battery crapping out so easily and causing other issues?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Anyone else have weird issues with the aux battery crapping out so easily and causing other issues?
Yes. Search the forum for “battery” and you will find 100 threads. Worst. Design. Ever.

The rabbit hole is deep, so let me get you started:

Jerry’s bypass solution is simple, cheap, and effective. That said, you need a Tazer or Smart Stop Start unit. (Search forum for Tazer - ZAuto is liquidating refurbished units at a major discount.)

You need a battery tender regardless of whether or not you decide to bypass. Any brand is fine, just be careful that you don’t get one too beefy because that little AUX battery can’t take much... A Deltran Battery Tender Plus is great for $50, or lots of people like Noco and CTek. Again, just don’t throw a 5 or 10 amp charger at that little battery.

After you digest that, go here next.

OP
OP
Icinia

Icinia

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk’n
Yes. Search the forum for “battery” and you will find 100 threads. Worst. Design. Ever.

The rabbit hole is deep, so let me get you started:

Jerry’s bypass solution is simple, cheap, and effective. That said, you need a Tazer or Smart Stop Start unit. (Search forum for Tazer - ZAuto is liquidating refurbished units at a major discount.)

You need a battery tender regardless of whether or not you decide to bypass. Any brand is fine, just be careful that you don’t get one too beefy because that little AUX battery can’t take much... A Deltran Battery Tender Plus is great for $50, or lots of people like Noco and CTek. Again, just don’t throw a 5 or 10 amp charger at that little battery.

After you digest that, go here next.
Thanks. That’s what I’ve been hearing, that’s it’s better to just by pass. Another owner just had to replace both batteries on her 21’ because of the cold and they were not covered by warranty. Cost her $500. This is ridiculous and frustrating because it’s so very obviously a design flaw

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else experience problems with the aux battery? At the beginning of Covid I didn’t drive my Jeep for 5 days and it died. The electrical system went crazy and it had to be towed to the dealership. They replaced the aux battery then. In Montana the windchill has been -35* so I’ve been starting my vehicle or driving it somewhere daily. Today while out running errands the check engine and aux battery light comes on at a red light. Call the dealership while I’m stopped and they tell me it’s ok the aux battery does that when it’s cold. I ask if I’m good to finish errands. They tell me yes. Pull up to a coffee kiosk to get coffee, put it in park, (engine still running) finish my transaction, put it in drive, and I hear a clunk and the Jeep won’t budge and the aux battery and sway bar disconnect light is flashing. Put it back in park, then drive, and it does the same thing. Wont budge, and the D on the gear shift is flashing. Tried jumping the battery twice. Long story short I ended up having to have it towed to the dealership but it’s Friday and they are booked tomorrow so can’t look at it till Monday. Anyone else have weird issues with the aux battery crapping out so easily and causing other issues?
Make sure you have TSB 18-092-19 applied if you haven't already done so. Among many other things, This updates the Aux battery logic so a dead AUX battery alone won't strand you (even without the N1 & N2 bypass jumper mentioned above)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks. That’s what I’ve been hearing, that’s it’s better to just by pass. Another owner just had to replace both batteries on her 21’ because of the cold and they were not covered by warranty. Cost her $500. This is ridiculous and frustrating because it’s so very obviously a design flaw
that’s total bullshit. The aux battery has a minimum 1 year warranty and the main battery is a 3 year free replacement.

OP
OP
Icinia

Icinia

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk’n
Make sure you have TSB 18-092-19 applied if you haven't already done so. Among many other things, This updates the Aux battery logic so a dead AUX battery alone won't strand you (even without the N1 & N2 bypass jumper mentioned above)
Thank you

Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Yes. Left me stuck in a busy intersection and had to get tow. Dealer replaced the aux battery and fuse array. Posted it here about a month ago.