Sponsored

Auto Start/Stop

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well now I created my own problem by testing this "feature". The ESS not available/warning will not go away now. I've started/stopped the Jeep about a dozen times and still there. Maybe coincidentally the aux battery died when I tried this?
@brewtus98

You can use a code reader/SGW bypass to clear the code. You can try a total 12v power kill as that might also clear the code..

I mentioned load testing each battery as your 2018's batteries are aging out. IF, you have dealer do a load test ask them to keep/show you each paper printout.... a printout for each battery. This way you know they actually did the load tests..

Here is how a way total 12v power kill on the JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start/Stop Jeep power disconnect
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My auto start/stop stopped working after 1 month of ownership. Blessing in disguise or should I have the dealership look into it?
@Gladius Nova

Naah, just wait til you are stranded.... in a no start situation and then have the JL flat towed to the stealership on FCA's dime as you would be covered / all would be paid for under warranty.... to include towing as long as you have less then 3 yrs. and 36,000 miles on the JL and you have it towed to the closest dealership.

Reality is, really would be best to have the dealer address the JL's issue(s) now.

IF you do not like ESS, spend the $129 for a SmartStopStart unit which is easy to install, and easy to sell when you finally sell your JL.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
@brewtus98

You can use a code reader to clear the code. You can try a total 12v power kill as that might also clear the code..

I mentioned load testing each battery as your 2018's batteries are aging out. IF, you have dealer do a load test ask them to keep/show you each paper printout.... a printout for each battery. This way you know they actually did the load tests..

Here is how a way total 12v power kill on the JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start/Stop Jeep power disconnect
Thanks again! Couple of quick questions - If Aux battery is DEAD and I chose to just drive with it that way for a little while will the only negative effect by the Aux dragging down the Main Battery? I believe that to be true & obviously the error code is preventing the ESS from working which is fine.

If I disconnect the "supplemental negative" that runs to the aux battery would that help prevent main from being dragged down?

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
My ESS stopped working. I have started another thread about it because it is a 2021 w/ e torque. Dealer has had it 2 weeks now and still cant figure it out.

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
My auto start/stop stopped working after 1 month of ownership. Blessing in disguise or should I have the dealership look into it?
This was my thought too, but it seems that it could possibly drain the main battery and/or cause actual starting issues (yes if the main battery is dead the Jeep will not startšŸ˜œ)..

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
somedude922, where is the other thread??

G.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Well now I created my own problem by testing this "feature". The ESS not available/warning will not go away now. I've started/stopped the Jeep about a dozen times and still there. Maybe coincidentally the aux battery died when I tried this?
Mine did the exact same thing so I took it to the dealership and the IBS had a melted wire and they fixed it under warranty.

DKAwildcat

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, & 2015 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 @brewtus98
My JLU was built 9/5/18 and I had TSB 18-041-18 REV B completed on 7/22/19 due to the loud fan. I tried to have the latest PCM update (TSB 18-092-19) done last month when I had my Jeep in for service, but was denied since I hadnā€™t experienced issues related to the TSB. I have not experienced any ESS issues yet, but I plan on replacing both batteries in the next couple of weeks since theyā€™re just turning three years old. Just so I understand correctly, did TSB 18-041-18 address the non-start issue?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 @brewtus98
My JLU was built 9/5/18 and I had TSB 18-041-18 REV B completed on 7/22/19 due to the loud fan. I tried to have the latest PCM update (TSB 18-092-19) done last month when I had my Jeep in for service, but was denied since I hadnā€™t experienced issues related to the TSB. I have not experienced any ESS issues yet, but I plan on replacing both batteries in the next couple of weeks since theyā€™re just turning three years old. Just so I understand correctly, did TSB 18-041-18 address the non-start issue?

@DKAwildcat

NO, TSB 18-041-18 Rev. B definitely does not "address" / change the battery behavior, however TSB 18-092-19 definitely does.

Have you tested (easy) to see if your 2018 possibly left the factory or was updated thereafter with a pcm update that sees it behaving like a 2019-2021 in regard to batteries?

Read here in regard to what to do to get TSB 18-092-19 applied to your JL:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/post-1357760

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 @brewtus98
All I can tell you is I had 18-041-18 B done to mine and it behaves like the 2019+ ESS systems. Listen to @Rhinebeck01 as he knows what he is talking about! Yours and mine were built about the same time (mine a few days earlier) - mine may have left factory with updated PCM software OR mine may have been updated unknown to me at some other service visit. You can just check HOW yours functions as in post #31 above - that's what I did to verify I wouldn't get stranded if my Aux battery crapped out. Good luck. Let me know what batteries you go with - I should be doing the same.

DKAwildcat

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, & 2015 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 @brewtus98

I took my Jeep into the dealership today to have new batteries installed since theyā€™re three years old and to have the TSB done to address the intermittent surge issue (I didnā€™t have to lie since Iā€˜ve experienced it several times). They said the batteries were tested at 65% life and they saw no need to change them until they get down to 25%. They would not do the TSB since they didnā€™t experience it on their test drive (uh, itā€™s ā€œintermittentā€œ as stated in the TSB). I plan to call Customer Care tomorrow to see what they say about that. Luckily, they didnā€™t charge me, but I still left frustrated.

I saw on Facebook tonight in one of the Jeep threads that several others have gotten stranded due to the auxiliary battery dying and they had to get towed to a dealer. When will Jeep wake up to this problem and address it??

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 @brewtus98

I took my Jeep into the dealership today to have new batteries installed since theyā€™re three years old and to have the TSB done to address the intermittent surge issue (I didnā€™t have to lie since Iā€˜ve experienced it several times). They said the batteries were tested at 65% life and they saw no need to change them until they get down to 25%. They would not do the TSB since they didnā€™t experience it on their test drive (uh, itā€™s ā€œintermittentā€œ as stated in the TSB). I plan to call Customer Care tomorrow to see what they say about that. Luckily, they didnā€™t charge me, but I still left frustrated.

I saw on Facebook tonight in one of the Jeep threads that several others have gotten stranded due to the auxiliary battery dying and they had to get towed to a dealer. When will Jeep wake up to this problem and address it??
Sorry to hear you are having trouble at the dealer. I will say I disconnected my "-" that goes to the aux to check and see if I would get stranded should the aux battery die and my Jeep started on second attempt - check yours that way. Mine may have left the factory with the '19 software in it and was built only a few days prior to yours.

I am not totally sure they got the "surge" issue corrected as I have had mine still do that intermittently numerous times. UUGH. Good luck.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My dash message recently displayed that the start stop is not available and to get it serviced... BUT the Jeep is functioning normally. I just got back from a 500 mile mountain trip with no issues.

My question, should I take it to the dealership to fix? What is the downside of the start/stop not working...

FYI: I have the I4-2L Turbo with the 48v e-torque system. I also have installed the Tazer mini for its other custom options but I am not sure if the tazer start/stop memory setting affect the Jeep when that option is NOT active.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
My dash message recently displayed that the start stop is not available and to get it serviced... BUT the Jeep is functioning normally. I just got back from a 500 mile mountain trip with no issues.

My question, should I take it to the dealership to fix? What is the downside of the start/stop not working...

FYI: I have the I4-2L Turbo with the 48v e-torque system. I also have installed the Tazer mini for its other custom options but I am not sure if the tazer start/stop memory setting affect the Jeep when that option is NOT active.
I would like to know the same thing. Mine stopped working after less than a month of ownership. I don't miss it.
Sponsored