Sponsored

Auto Start/Stop

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
About 6 months ago my auto start/stop on my '19 Sahara stopped working (thankfully)! The light is illuminated on the dash (I really don't care) but I am taking it in this week for an oil change and already know they will tell me that if the battery that operates that system is dead, at some point it could prevent the Jeep from starting altogether. Is this some sort of "scare tactic" to have me fix it so they get the warranty money or is it a legitimate concern? I hate that stupid feature and as long as it isn't working then I don't have to buy something to override it (yes I can push the button each time I start it but that is a PIA in my opinion)! Thank you for any feedback you have!
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's a legit concern on '18 JLs that don't have the ECM flash upgrade. '19s and up have the upgrade so you will be able to start the Jeep but it will require multiple presses of the start button. All in all, if one or both of the batteries are shot it's in your best interest to replace both of them. The fact that batteries can go within 2 years, well that's a different matter. 2 years is on the early side, most report the batteries going during the 3rd year.

This is a problem on all modern vehicles because of the amount of "always on" devices they have now. Old-school lead acid batteries don't handle that well and the JLs with dual batteries don't help. If the vehicle isn't a DD or you often take short trips the batteries can go rather quickly.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Replace both batteries. Your Aux is probably dead/dying. Tons of info here about this.

G.

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
It's a legit concern on '18 JLs that don't have the ECM flash upgrade. '19s and up have the upgrade so you will be able to start the Jeep but it will require multiple presses of the start button. All in all, if one or both of the batteries are shot it's in your best interest to replace both of them. The fact that batteries can go within 2 years, well that's a different matter. 2 years is on the early side, most report the batteries going during the 3rd year.

This is a problem on all modern vehicles because of the amount of "always on" devices they have now. Old-school lead acid batteries don't handle that well and the JLs with dual batteries don't help. If the vehicle isn't a DD or you often take short trips the batteries can go rather quickly.
I'm not positive it is the battery, but feel it is. This JL sat on the lot for a year before I purchased it and the dealership replaced the main battery when I purchased it. I work in a city so every time I stop at a light it cuts off - it annoys me (yes I could push the button but I don't remember it till it cuts off sometimes, plus it can't be good for the starter I wouldn't think. Thank you for the info!! :)

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
Replace both batteries. Your Aux is probably dead/dying. Tons of info here about this.

G.
That's what I figure it is, the main battery should be good - it was replaced 18 months ago when I purchased it as this Jeep sat on the lot for a year before I bought it. This girl only has 9K miles on it. I just can't stand that start/stop feature

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
No complaints with my start/stop, but I have the eTorque and no aux batt. Most of time I don't even notice it, and it's really smart. In this summer weather, it hardly ever stops.
18 months on your main doesn't sound too bad. the aux is probably needing a replacement.

G.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's what I figure it is, the main battery should be good - it was replaced 18 months ago when I purchased it as this Jeep sat on the lot for a year before I bought it. This girl only has 9K miles on it. I just can't stand that start/stop feature
It's not the ESS feature that's doing it. Only 9k miles suggests that the Jeep either sits a couple days between trips or mostly goes on short trips that don't give enough time to fully recharge the batteries. I'm in the same boat so I often put a battery tender on to help battery longevity.

It's too bad they only replaced the main battery. It's the smaller aux battery that seems to go first (which you have if you don't have e-torque). Should have insisted that they replace both. Oh well, live and learn.

But even though the ESS isn't the culprit of your battery issues, if you really hate it you can get a Tazer and disable it permanently.

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
No complaints with my start/stop, but I have the eTorque and no aux batt. Most of time I don't even notice it, and it's really smart. In this summer weather, it hardly ever stops.
18 months on your main doesn't sound too bad. the aux is probably needing a replacement.

G.
That's what I'm thinking, but it's nice not having it cut off every time I stop. lol

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
It's not the ESS feature that's doing it. Only 9k miles suggests that the Jeep either sits a couple days between trips or mostly goes on short trips that don't give enough time to fully recharge the batteries. I'm in the same boat so I often put a battery tender on to help battery longevity.

It's too bad they only replaced the main battery. It's the smaller aux battery that seems to go first (which you have if you don't have e-torque). Should have insisted that they replace both. Oh well, live and learn.

But even though the ESS isn't the culprit of your battery issues, if you really hate it you can get a Tazer and disable it permanently.
You are correct, I do not have a long commute daily and seldom go on long trips unfortunately! lol I may let them change it and maybe argue the battery cost with them! It's just nice not pushing that button. I had thought of getting something to override that system before it stopped working, but then there was Devine intervention! lol. That Tazer is a bit pricey, is there another brand that is a little cheaper? Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@HellaYellaChick

The 2 batteries are hooked up in parallel. Not uncommon at all for the Aux (ESS) battery to go bad and eventaully take out the Main battery with it ... and then you will be stranded / in a no start situation.

Prudent / Wise JL (2018-2021) owner will get the batteries BOTH load tested by the dealer and have them replace one or both batteries as needed under warranty....

................then that owner if he/she desires to purchases say a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS. A unit like that costs $129 which you will get most of it back someday, when your sell it to the next guy/gal.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Replace. My 18 did the same thing for about 3 months and then just quit cranking all together.

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
@HellaYellaChick

The 2 batteries are hooked up in parallel. Not uncommon at all for the Aux (ESS) battery to go bad and eventaully take out the Main battery with it ... and then you will be stranded / in a no start situation.

Prudent / Wise JL (2018-2021) owner will get the batteries BOTH load tested by the dealer and have them replace one or both batteries as needed under warranty....

................then that owner if he/she desires to purchases say a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS. A unit like that costs $129 which you will get most of it back someday, when your sell it to the next guy/gal.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Thank you, I never considered that little battery would run down the other one. I will have them test both when I take it in!

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
Replace. My 18 did the same thing for about 3 months and then just quit cranking all together.
That is what they said would happen but I wasn't sure if that was just them trying to get more money:) Thank you!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thank you, I never considered that little battery would run down the other one. I will have them test both when I take it in!
@HellaYellaChick

Service Departments are notorious for saying they load tested BOTH batteries but in fact they load tested one or both.... or neither.... 8-(

Take your JL in and ask to please speak to the Service Manager... not the Service Writer...

Speak to the Service Manager and very politely.... again, politely ask to see the paper printout of each of the 2 batteries in regard to their load testing... this way you know both were tested ..... YOU saw the results....

You want to address BOTH batteries if you are close to the end of your 36,000 mi warranty.... and also if you do not want to get stranded thanks to them not doing what they should be doing in regard to testing BOTH batteries..

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
@HellaYellaChick

Service Departments are notorious for saying they load tested BOTH batteries but in fact they load tested one or both.... or neither.... 8-(

Take your JL in and ask to please speak to the Service Manager... not the Service Writer...

Speak to the Service Manager and very politely.... again, politely ask to see the paper printout of each of the 2 batteries in regard to their load testing... this way you know both were tested ..... YOU saw the results....

You want to address BOTH batteries if you are close to the end of your 36,000 mi warranty.... and also if you do not want to get stranded thanks to them not doing what they should be doing in regard to testing BOTH batteries..
Thank you for the suggestions! My Jeep only has 9K miles on it and I've only had it 18 months. It sat on the lot for a year before I purchased it and in fact they put a new battery in it when I bought it. I will definitely ask for the load test and print out. Thanks! :) At the time I didn't know about the second battery.
Sponsored