Auto Start/Stop

lsufan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Dealer just replaced the smaller battery today. I noticed over the past 2 weeks that the ESS was not working and had this message start/stop not ready battery charging. 2019 with the 3.6 right at 25k miles
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I say if you hate ESS and donā€™t want to use it at all then invest in a SSS module then install a jumper and disconnect the ESS negative off the main and just keep up on maintaining the ESS battery so you will have it if needed. There are lots of other options but the least evasive and cheapest is a jumper.

As we all know the ESS system on the Wrangler is terrible but there are lots of ways to deal with it depending how deep your pockets are.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
My ESS has been intermittent for several months now....works for several days then doesn't work for several days....Finally took it to the dealer to address that and another problem and they told me it was because I connected the ground cable for my winch to the negative post on the battery...The Tech said that Jeep recommends not doing that as it will mess with the ESS battery so he moved it to the firewall ground and they charged me $200+.....Over 200$ to move the ground 14inches?
Does this seem feasible as the winch has been connected there for 2 years and only used a couple times to test?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My ESS has been intermittent for several months now....works for several days then doesn't work for several days....Finally took it to the dealer to address that and another problem and they told me it was because I connected the ground cable for my winch to the negative post on the battery...The Tech said that Jeep recommends not doing that as it will mess with the ESS battery so he moved it to the firewall ground and they charged me $200+.....Over 200$ to move the ground 14inches?
Does this seem feasible as the winch has been connected there for 2 years and only used a couple times to test?
@Mwags

I know at install time, I would not have connected that winch ground wire (or any others) to the Main battery negative terminal. Dealer Tech was right moving it.

Did they load test each of your 2 batteries? Did you ask to see the load test print out for each?

IBS sensor is at #5 in the pic below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start/Stop battery numbered

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mwags

I know at install time, I would not have connected that winch ground wire (or any others) to the Main battery negative terminal. Dealer Tech was right moving it.

Yes I connected to #6 but could that be the cause of start/stop issue?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I connected to #6 but could that be the cause of start/stop issue?
@Mwags

Your ESS issue could be related to a host of things.. just because the Tech moved that ground, does not guarantee that you will no longer have issues... Yes, that ground was best not there ...

Your 2018's 2 batteries are aging out. Ready for replacement now or soon..

IF you are going to keep that 2018, do change out your 2 batteries. Easy to do. Will cost you say $350+- with decent batteries.... if you do yourself.

IF still under warranty, get that 2018 to the dealer while still under warranty and politely, respectfully, ask the SERVICE MANAGER (not Service Writer) to have the tech do a load test on each battery... Ask him to please do and that you would please like to see the load test print out for each... This way you know they will test both and you have proof you did.

IF under warranty still, let them replace on their dime if load test(s) fail.

Also, since you have a 2018 read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/replacing-aux-battery-video.68317/post-1438920

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mwags

Your ESS issue could be related to a host of things.. just because the Tech moved that ground, does not guarantee that you will no longer have issues... Yes, that ground was best not there ...

IF you are going to keep that 2018, do change out your 2 batteries. Easy to do. Will cost you say $350+- with decent batteries.... if you do yourself.

IF still under warranty, get that 2018 to the dealer while still under warranty and politely, respectfully, ask the SERVICE MANAGER (not Service Writer) to have the tech do a load test on each battery... Ask him to please do and that you would please like to see the load test print out for each... This way you know they will test both and you have proof you did.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/replacing-aux-battery-video.68317/post-1438920

It is still under warranty.....I will request the load test politely and respectfully.....Thanks
BTW...They ordered a new sensor.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is still under warranty.....I will request the load test politely and respectfully.....Thanks
BTW...They ordered a new sensor.
@Mwags

New IBS sensor is a positive thing.... when they install the new IBS sensor, it will take a a couple of days+- for the sensor to learn and all ESS related things to get back to normal lets say.

DO ask to meet and to talk to the SERVICE MANAGER.

Swoooze the SM a bit.... tell him you know other owner's that say he is aok and a good guy to deal with, etc.. THEN, ask politely for what I mentioned.. and that for your own learning experience, etc.. you want to see the load test print outs.... BOTH of them!

I myself also ask to speak to the Tech that deals with my JL. Get him in your corner and you will be far better off. I also do tip a Tech that does me / my ride right... I also send an email to the dealership owner and SM telling them Tech did a great job, Service is tops when they do me right..

I also politely speak up ... to all if they do me wrong... try to play me, etc..

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mwags

New IBS sensor is a positive thing.... when they install the new IBS sensor, it will take a a couple of days+- for the sensor to learn and all ESS related things to get back to normal lets say.

DO ask to meet and to talk to the SERVICE MANAGER.

Swoooze the SM a bit.... tell him you know other owner's that say he is aok and a good guy to deal with, etc.. THEN, ask politely for what I mentioned.. and that for your own learning experience, etc.. you want to see the load test print outs.... BOTH of them!

I myself also ask to speak to the Tech that deals with my JL. Get him in your corner and you will be far better off. I also do tip a Tech that does me / my ride right... I also send an email to the dealership owner and SM telling them Tech did a great job, Service is tops when they do me right..

I also politely speak up ... to all if they do me wrong... try to play me, etc..

I usually deal with the assistant SM and we have a pretty good rapport...She loves my Jeep and has her own Willys.
I also met the tech who has 27 yrs experience so I feel I'm pretty good in that department...I gave them both good reviews the other day.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@HellaYellaChick

The 2 batteries are hooked up in parallel. Not uncommon at all for the Aux (ESS) battery to go bad and eventaully take out the Main battery with it ... and then you will be stranded / in a no start situation.

Prudent / Wise JL (2018-2021) owner will get the batteries BOTH load tested by the dealer and have them replace one or both batteries as needed under warranty....

................then that owner if he/she desires to purchases say a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS. A unit like that costs $129 which you will get most of it back someday, when your sell it to the next guy/gal.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
I had my aux battery go on the first morning of vacation. I was a couple hundred miles from 50,000 in less than two years. I replaced only the aux and haven't had an issue since. I do plan to go to the Genesis dual battery system soon.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@Mwags

Did they load test each of your 2 batteries? Did you ask to see the load test print out for each?

Good info. Moving all my accessories to the ground stud on the side!

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Good info. Moving all my accessories to the ground stud on the side!
Can you show exactly where your putting it? A picture would be great.
Thanks

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I say if you hate ESS and donā€™t want to use it at all then invest in a SSS module then install a jumper and disconnect the ESS negative off the main and just keep up on maintaining the ESS battery so you will have it if needed. There are lots of other
As we all know the ESS system on the Wrangler is terrible but there are lots of ways to deal with it depending how deep your pockets are.
How do you permanently get rid of it and no idiot lights or warnings, with out buying a tazer. Etc.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
@Mwags

You don't happen to know if TSB 18-041-18 REV B will implement the fix that allows the Jeep to start with low Aux Battery do you? It was superseded by TSB 18-092-19 on 11/6/19. It looks like they just updated the "symptom conditions" with DTC's that could be present. I just want to make sure the software "fix" for both of the TSB's is the same. I got the TSB done for the loud cooling fan, but want to make sure I got the aux battery enhancement too.

In other words, If I got the older TSB done, should I take it back and have it updated with the newer version even though they look exactly the same with exception of the list of potential DTC's? Unfortunately neither TSB list the revision number of the software they flash so that I can compare.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
You are correct, I do not have a long commute daily and seldom go on long trips unfortunately! lol I may let them change it and maybe argue the battery cost with them! It's just nice not pushing that button. I had thought of getting something to override that system before it stopped working, but then there was Devine intervention! lol. That Tazer is a bit pricey, is there another brand that is a little cheaper? Thanks!
Iā€˜m not sure about manuals but on automatics rather than pushing the button every time, when you stop just let a little pressure off of the brake pedal and it will not shut off but still hold the vehicle in place.
Sponsored