Auto start/stop malfunction

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Finished a 200 mile trip this morning . While almost home, I was stopped at a light and the auto start stop kicked in, stopped the engine, then immediately started back up and an error message appeared that "auto start stop unavailable. Service auto start stop". It didn't work after that.

I gotta tell you, I was thrilled! I thought I'd never have to push the off button again!

Ha, anyway when i shut off the vehicle and restarted, all was back to normal and no trace of the error message.

Aside from my disappointment and on a serious note, anyone had this happen and know why?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Finished a 200 mile trip this morning . While almost home, I was stopped at a light and the auto start stop kicked in, stopped the engine, then immediately started back up and an error message appeared that "auto start stop unavailable. Service auto start stop". It didn't work after that.

I gotta tell you, I was thrilled! I thought I'd never have to push the off button again!

Ha, anyway when i shut off the vehicle and restarted, all was back to normal and no trace of the error message.

Aside from my disappointment and on a serious note, anyone had this happen and know why?
I’ll answer the ‘why’ first.
There are little creatures of mythical origins, controlled by a ruler named Tony in the lands of Fix It Again. Known as ‘electrical gremlins’ that come and go to cause havoc as they please..

Nasty little buggers.

There is however a magical spell you can cast called ‘Just Empty Every Pocket’ to keep the evil forces at bay.

Last edited:

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I randomly got this message once and it went away. Jeep works fine and the auto start stop works when I activate it, but most most time it's disabled with the tazer mini setting. I thought maybe the pcm was seeing the tazer which caused message to appear.

Does anyone else that got this message also have the tazer installed?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I randomly got this message once and it went away. Jeep works fine and the auto start stop works when I activate it, but most most time it's disabled with the tazer mini setting. I thought maybe the pcm was seeing the tazer which caused message to appear.

Does anyone else that got this message also have the tazer installed?
@MattT69

All the Tazer JL in essence does, is do the ESS button press for you and no more... The Tazer JL disables nothing in regard to ESS... has no other effect on ESS.

With that said.... Message has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Tazer JL...

StingrayMRB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 37s
@MattT69

All the Tazer JL in essence does, is do the ESS button press for you and no more... The Tazer JL disables nothing in regard to ESS... has no other effect on ESS.

With that said.... Message has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Tazer JL...

I know this is old but I disagree. I had no errors until adding the Tazer JL. I then started receiving this message at random times. Removing the Tazer solves the problem. I later found it had to do with a setting in Tazer that seemed to cause it. When I disabled that one feature I never got the error again until recently. I had new gears put on my Jeep last week. I told them I had a Tazer but doesn't look like they listened because they said they calibrated my speedo with the new gears but my Tazer settings were still the old gear ratios. Not sure what effect using a speedo calibrator with a Tazer would have but I am getting the error again and I lose gear display. Because my gear is unknown, the backup camera doesn't work in reverse. Removing the Tazer resolves so the Tazer does affect the vehicle's electronics and relates specifically to this setting.

By the way, if anyone has seen what I'm seeing now, let me know if you have a fix.

StingrayMRB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 37s
I know this is old but I disagree. I had no errors until adding the Tazer JL. I then started receiving this message at random times. Removing the Tazer solves the problem. I later found it had to do with a setting in Tazer that seemed to cause it. When I disabled that one feature I never got the error again until recently. I had new gears put on my Jeep last week. I told them I had a Tazer but doesn't look like they listened because they said they calibrated my speedo with the new gears but my Tazer settings were still the old gear ratios. Not sure what effect using a speedo calibrator with a Tazer would have but I am getting the error again and I lose gear display. Because my gear is unknown, the backup camera doesn't work in reverse. Removing the Tazer resolves so the Tazer does affect the vehicle's electronics and relates specifically to this setting.

By the way, if anyone has seen what I'm seeing now, let me know if you have a fix.
I found out through Google that many have experienced this issue after a gear change. I have to basically remove the negative battery terminal to reset and that should help. It is specifically related to having the Tazer.
Sponsored