Sponsored

Auto Start/Stop

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
You don't happen to know if TSB 18-041-18 REV B will implement the fix that allows the Jeep to start with low Aux Battery do you? It was superseded by TSB 18-092-19 on 11/6/19. It looks like they just updated the "symptom conditions" with DTC's that could be present. I just want to make sure the software "fix" for both of the TSB's is the same. I got the TSB done for the loud cooling fan, but want to make sure I got the aux battery enhancement too.

In other words, If I got the older TSB done, should I take it back and have it updated with the newer version even though they look exactly the same with exception of the list of potential DTC's? Unfortunately neither TSB list the revision number of the software they flash so that I can compare.
@brewtus98

I and other's here had TSB 18-041-18 Rev B applied and it did not see/get what TSB 18-092-19 accomplished, in regard to how the dual battery system was handled.

Suggest you test to see IF, if your JL say at the factory (some 2018's did) or afterwards at dealership, had the PCM updated so it behaves like a 2019-2021 JL.

Disconnect the ESS negative cable on your JL. (#6 in the pic below) .....Now try to start the JL.

IF the JL starts on the second try then it behaves like a 2019-2021. You will also see an EVIC light come on, but once you reconnect the ESS negative, in a short time frame the EVIV light will go out on it's own. IF it does not behave like a 2019-2021, it just won't start..

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start/Stop battery numbered
Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
@brewtus98

I and other's here had TSB 18-041-18 Rev B applied and it did not see/get what TSB 18-092-19 accomplished, in regard to how the dual battery system was handled.

Suggest you test to see IF, if your JL say at the factory (some 2018's did) or afterwards at dealership, had the PCM updated so it behaves like a 2019-2021 JL.

Disconnect the ESS negative cable on your JL. (#6 in the pic below) .....Now try to start the JL.

IF the JL starts on the second try then it behaves like a 2019-2021. You will also see an EVIC light come on, but once you reconnect the ESS negative, in a short time frame the EVIV light will go out on it's own. IF it does not behave like a 2019-2021, it just won't start..

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start/Stop battery numbered
awesome, thanks!!

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@HellaYellaChick

The 2 batteries are hooked up in parallel. Not uncommon at all for the Aux (ESS) battery to go bad and eventaully take out the Main battery with it ... and then you will be stranded / in a no start situation.

Prudent / Wise JL (2018-2021) owner will get the batteries BOTH load tested by the dealer and have them replace one or both batteries as needed under warranty....

................then that owner if he/she desires to purchases say a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS. A unit like that costs $129 which you will get most of it back someday, when your sell it to the next guy/gal.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Great advice on having each battery load tested!
IS this something that should be done for the larger 48v battery in the etorque system. I don't have any issues with the ESS and I normally don't even notice when it stops or starts so I leave it active, even tough I have the Tazer mini (for other reasons).

The main reason I am asking about the load testing is because I bought a 2018 JLRubi in 2020 that only had 8K miles (great deal at under 40K). So does the 48v battery suffer the same non-use or short commute recharge issues like the 12v aux? Can the lack of consistent use for 2 years affect the 48v battery life expectancy?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great advice on having each battery load tested!
IS this something that should be done for the larger 48v battery in the etorque system. I don't have any issues with the ESS and I normally don't even notice when it stops or starts so I leave it active, even tough I have the Tazer mini (for other reasons).

The main reason I am asking about the load testing is because I bought a 2018 JLRubi in 2020 that only had 8K miles (great deal at under 40K). So does the 48v battery suffer the same non-use or short commute recharge issues like the 12v aux? Can the lack of consistent use for 2 years affect the 48v battery life expectancy?
@MattT69

You lost me kinda..... You're talking a 2018 JL /no etorque ?

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@MattT69

You lost me kinda..... You're talking a 2018 JL /no etorque ?
Oh sorry, I am asking about my 2018 JLR with the 48v e-torque system that I bought in 2020 with only 8K miles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01

So went ahead and disconnected battery as described and started with no problem. Did get the ESS not working warning. So I understand I effectively removed aux battery from system and started successfully so no need to get newer version of TSB right?

Therefore no worries about getting stranded due to aux battery dying?

Thanks so much for the info!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh sorry, I am asking about my 2018 JLR with the 48v e-torque system that I bought in 2020 with only 8K miles.
@MattT69

I not up to speed so to speak in regard to the 48 e-torque system. I am not a good resource regarding same.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01

So went ahead and disconnected battery as described and started with no problem. Did get the ESS not working warning. So I understand I effectively removed aux battery from system and started successfully so no need to get newer version of TSB right?

@brewtus98

Well, it seems either your 2018 JL left the factory with the PCM updated or the dealer updated the PCM during one of your Service Dept. visits. ... as your JL is behaving as a 2019-2021 would.

Do know that your 2 batteries on your 2018, are aging out.

Many 2018 owner's have already seen their battery(s) age out/die..

With that said you still could lets say have your Aux battery get iffy and take out / cause the Main to deplete and then you still would see the JL leave you "stranded".

IF you travel lots and are not around home often, are out in the boonies lots, you might just want to be pro active and go ahead and replace both your Main and Aux with new batteries... You can easily do this yourself... use quality batteries ... can be done for as little as $350.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@brewtus98

Well, it seems either your 2018 JL left the factory with the PCM updated or the dealer updated the PCM during one of your Service Dept. visits. ... as your JL is behaving as a 2019-2021 would.

Do know that your 2 batteries on your 2018, are aging out.

Many 2018 owner's have already seen their battery(s) age out/die..

With that said you still could lets say have your Aux battery get iffy and take out / cause the Main to deplete and then you still would see the JL leave you "stranded".

IF you travel lots and are not around home often, are out in the boonies lots, you might just want to be pro active and go ahead and replace both your Main and Aux with new batteries... You can easily do this yourself... use quality batteries ... can be done for as little as $350.

Yes I had the PCM updated under rev B of TSB 18-041-18 on July 26 2019- so it must have picked up latest update. Mine was built 9/1/2018 so donā€™t think it left factory that way.

Thanks for battery advice - well taken.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brewtus98

Curious... has your JL been into the Service Dept. for anything since that TSB 18-041-18 update?
I know that update did not make my 2018 act like the 2019-2021 in regard to what we are talking about...

Also, yes there is a decent chance that your 9/1/18 build date got the pcm update that makes it behave like a 2019-2021. (other forum member's JL's, built around that date did)

My 5/5/18 3:22am build date did not as I mentioned.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@brewtus98

Curious... has your JL been into the Service Dept. for anything since that TSB 18-041-18 update?
I know that update did not make my 2018 act like the 2019-2021 in regard to what we are talking about...

Also, yes there is a decent chance that your 9/1/18 build date got the pcm update that makes it behave like a 2019-2021. (other forum member's JL's, built around that date did)

My 5/5/18 3:22am build date did not as I mentioned.
Only steering box recall which reprogrammed power steering in Sept of 2020.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01

Well now I created my own problem by testing this "feature". The ESS not available/warning will not go away now. I've started/stopped the Jeep about a dozen times and still there. Maybe coincidentally the aux battery died when I tried this?

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
UPDATE: Took my Jeep to the dealer they were changing out the ESS battery (which has been discontinued and the new one changed to a new design making installation even more of a beast) and some how they blew the main fuse so the Jeep will not start. New fuse box ordered and hope to get her back today 48 hours later. Finger crossed, the F150 they gave me to drive is not my favorite - although the Eco Boost is pretty quick but no better on gas than an 8 cylinder IMO.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Took my Jeep to the dealer they were changing out the ESS battery (which has been discontinued and the new one changed to a new design making installation even more of a beast) and some how they blew the main fuse so the Jeep will not start. New fuse box ordered and hope to get her back today 48 hours later. Finger crossed, the F150 they gave me to drive is not my favorite - although the Eco Boost is pretty quick but no better on gas than an 8 cylinder IMO.
@HellaYellaChick

The Service Dept. is spewing crapola to you.... Not sure what they did but the Aux battery is easy easy to swap out and that "new design" crapola they spewed is nonsensical. And...... if they did blow a fuse in the High Amp Fuse Array, in the PDC, it is a $25+- Fuse Array they need and not the whole fuse box/ PDC. Sounds like your Service Dept. / Tech is .......... not so great....

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
My auto start/stop stopped working after 1 month of ownership. Blessing in disguise or should I have the dealership look into it?
Sponsored