Sponsored

E torque ESS issue

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Just starting this thread for info on what I am currently going through. 2021 JLUR 3.6 w/ e torque.
I ran a portable air compressor to test it out and “top off” my tires without the jeep running, strictly off the main battery. The next day, I noticed my ESS was not working. Placed the main battery on a trickle charger overnight and all was good the next day. Fast forward a couple weeks and I put in a dashcam that I ran all the way back to the rear 12v port that is “always on”. Couple days later I noticed my ESS was not working and placed the main battery on the trickle charger again thinking maybe the dashcam was parasitic draw. Next day ESS still not working and my dashcam will not turn on, I figured the charger overloaded the capacitor in the dashcam, day later the dashcam works.
ESS has not worked since.
I took it into the dealer as I wanted to make sure the etorque system is not jacked:
Two DTC were discovered, a bad solar sensor which they replaced and a bad ac control module which they replaced. They informed me everything is operational and no codes showing but ESS still states not ready. They are kind of stuck as to what is next at the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back from the dealer. All is well. They had engineers from FCA on it and long story short after replacing the solar sensor and ac control module, the system needed time to reset.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
What is a solar sensor? And dang you could use some better luck. Must be where you live...

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is a solar sensor? And dang you could use some better luck. Must be where you live...
It is the little round sensor on the top center of the dash. Luck?!? Lol, its a Chrysler. Lol

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Glad they got it figured out. Any idea how/why those two items failed??

G.

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad they got it figured out. Any idea how/why those two items failed??

G.
I am guessing I caused a short somewhere with my trickle charger. Its a cheap one from autozone. We had a couple power blinks during a storm and I forgot it was on the charger. Next morning when I got in the jeep, all my setting were erased and apps were loading. Thats the only thing I can think of.
Sponsored