Sponsored

Audio system issue - cutting in and out

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
3 degrees Fahrenheit this morning in Minnesota, mine is still working. Camera replaced in March 2019.
Thanks @Brent - I've made the decision to replace the camera myself. I looked up the part numbers on Mopar's website, and since my RAM doesn't have the surround view cameras, replacing the rear camera only costs $100 (CDN). At this point, I'd rather replace the camera myself than go through the trouble of convincing the Service Advisor at the dealership that it is the culprit, and have them replace parts that isn't faulty, possibly causing more issues and/or scratching up the interior of my new truck.

Once I replace the camera I'll provide an update.

FWIW - I looked up the camera models for both JL Wranglers and DT RAM 1500s. It looks like there was a hardware part revision for both, most likely the original being problematic.
Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
24 pages later... I survived my first winter in the JLU just fine the first time around, but now Iā€™m experiencing this. Havenā€™t noticed the backup camera lines but also happened to start losing FM volume the day my XM subscription ended and thought it was some scam do get me back. I need to try some of these suggestions but assuming Iā€™ll need to take it in for service.

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
UPDATE

NOTE - THIS IS FOR A 2019 RAM 1500 - same issue as the JL Wrangler. Reference links below.

Rear back-up camera replaced, as well as recall V61 was also completed. I dropped off the truck at 8:45am, but according to my dash cam, the technicians didn't get to it until 6:00pm that evening. I picked up the truck for 7:00pm. Regardless, the camera was replaced and the V61 recall was addressed. No damage. I understand that dealerships are busy this time of the year (winter tire swaps, etc).

FWIW - I personally purchased the rear back-up camera out of pocket. This was the only way to avoid the whole "diagnosing" stage, as the technicians were not able to previously diagnose it (it was in 2-3 times before). When I spoke to the Service Manager regarding my issues, I asked him if he could perform the replacement labour free-of-charge, and he obliged.

When I picked-up the truck in the evening, I spoke with the Service Advisor and the Technician. A few notes:

1. They were not able to replicate the issue. Although when I dropped off the truck that morning, I was experiencing the issue (audio cutting in/out, no rear back-up camera guidelines, etc). When I listened to the dash cam audio when the Technician got to my truck, it appeared that the issue wasn't happening, so it would be impossible to replicate since the truck would need to sit for at least another 30mins turned off, and even then that would only be a chance for it to happen again (weather dependent).

2. All dealerships are privately owned. They only sell and maintain the vehicles. Therefore, they only perform repairs based on what FCA engineers advise. If they cannot diagnose the issue on their own, they look to FCA. If FCA doesn't know, then they don't know. Simple as that.

3. Note every issue, every single time you bring your vehicle in for service. This puts a note on their files, which they officially have to report to FCA for unresolved issues. They say eventually issues get resolved, but it takes time based on volume and urgency. This also puts a record on your profile with the dealership, for when your vehicle is out of warranty and the issue is still there, they have records to fall-back on so they can perform retro-warranty fixes.

4. Any warranty repairs that involve replacing parts, needs to be verified by the dealership with FCA. This is because FCA requires that the part be sent back to them for diagnosing. If the part is not faulty, the dealership gets charged for the part. This presents a few issues, where the dealership will be very critical about diagnosing issues. If they are incorrect with their diagnosis, they will eventually pay for the replacement part. This is the EXACT reason why I decided to purchase the camera myself. It forces the replacement (regardless if you pay for the labour).

Regarding the rear back-up camera, it was as I suspected - there was a hardware part number change. When I did my research for the replacement part number, I found that #68414414AA replaced #68322864AF. I found this odd, considering my truck is a 2019, and there was a revision in the middle of the year. Here's a link for reference: https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-rear-camera-68414414aa

This is the original camera (I kept it since I purchased the replacement, I own this. This is not to be sent back to FCA). Note the hardware part number (#68322864AF)

sDNRwqEl.jpg

6jRYwSMl.jpg

This is the replacement part number.

z70LruHl.jpg

######################################################​

As most of you can tell, I am obsessed with this issue. I've never been so upset on a new vehicle purchase, yet when the truck works, I love it. Its a love-hate relationship for sure. Will advise in the coming days if the issue returns. Fingers crossed.

Reference Links:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
24 pages later... I survived my first winter in the JLU just fine the first time around, but now Iā€™m experiencing this. Havenā€™t noticed the backup camera lines but also happened to start losing FM volume the day my XM subscription ended and thought it was some scam do get me back. I need to try some of these suggestions but assuming Iā€™ll need to take it in for service.
Hi Kraty1, if you do end up going back to your dealership, please feel free to let us know. I would be happy to get a case escalated so everything goes smoothly while you are in for service.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Hi Kraty1, if you do end up going back to your dealership, please feel free to let us know. I would be happy to get a case escalated so everything goes smoothly while you are in for service.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thanks! It looks like I do have an update and will get it done asap, and will let you know if that doesn't fix the issue. Btw River Front Jeep in North Aurora Illinois is great at taking good care of things for me!

Sponsored

purplehaze227

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well it happened all weekend. The good news is I took it yesterday morning to my dealer while it was happening, left the car running, they looked at it and ordered me a new camera. So the installation is pending but the action is underway. I asked the Service Rep if they wanted to disconnect the camera as a test and he said 'no, they've been seeing more and more of this' and replacing the camera was the right thing to do.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
Well it happened all weekend. The good news is I took it yesterday morning to my dealer while it was happening, left the car running, they looked at it and ordered me a new camera. So the installation is pending but the action is underway. I asked the Service Rep if they wanted to disconnect the camera as a test and he said 'no, they've been seeing more and more of this' and replacing the camera was the right thing to do.
So glad to hear that FCA is finally letting their dealers get the cameras replaced.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I had the cutting out issue happen this morning and took it into the service area at my dealership unscheduled. They got some scans while it was happening. They said they didnā€™t have anyone in today that can look at it closer today but would call me after thanksgiving and were hopeful about a fix. Weā€™ll see.

Iā€™ve added a CB and rear bumper lights so I hope they donā€™t try to use that as an excuse to not cover under a warranty.

Will update as I hear back.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Sorry if I missed it, but do any have the mopar part number for the rear camera for the Jeep? I believe the part numbers mentioned by Ric3boy are for the Dodge camera, not Jeep.

At MoparAmerica, the possible part numbers for the camera appear to be either:

- 68452959AA
-68414411AA (specified as the replacement for part number 68288397AC)

Does anyone have advice RE which is the one to get?

I experienced this same intermittent audio (sound cuts in and out, rear camera guide lines go absent) issue all last winter and tried to ignore. It's back again this winter.

Called up my jeep dealership and the rep's conversation did not confidence that this is something that they'll resolve. I'm half inclined just to fix it myself as others have, and avoid concern that the dealer will spend a lengthy amount of time not figuring it out.

An indicator of the dealership's general attitude: I also asked them to address the the muffled audio issue, wherein the speaker by the steering column (near driver's left knee) emits terrible muffled / muddled audio at certain frequencies. I offered that this is a known issues, and the problem/fix documented in star case number S1808000278. The rep could not have been any more disinterested in the case number to resolve. "No, I don't need to take the number down, we'll just have to look at it."

Honestly, I have less of an issue with the fact that the JLUR is a bit finicky, but more of an issue with the fact that the dealerships appear to be consistently poor. I've bought cars based on service experience in the past.

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
I'm at a full week now, the issue hasn't returned. Get your rear cameras replaced!

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I wanna do it myself, can you advise the part number?

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
It looks like they didnā€™t charge you. Do you have a sense for how much the cost would be to replace the backup camera out of pocket (in the U.S.)? (Assuming a dealership would charge a Jeep owner the full amount)?

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
It looks like they didnā€™t charge you. Do you have a sense for how much the cost would be to replace the backup camera out of pocket (in the U.S.)? (Assuming a dealership would charge a Jeep owner the full amount)?
They didn't charge me in that the vehicle was (and still is) in warranty.