Sponsored

ARB Compressor - single vs. dual

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
Hello all! I am trying to decide which ARB compressor unit I should purchase. Initially, this will be the purpose of inflating/deflating the tires. Eventually, I might purchase an ARB locker, but that would be after the LSD in my M220 wears out.

My questions are these:
  • Is there any performance difference between the ARB compressors when operating of a locker or lockers? Or is the single just as capable as the dual in this regard?
  • Other than the speed at which my tires would inflate and/or deflate, are there any capabilities the dual compressor would offer that the single compressor would not?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've never had air lockers. From what I've seen a single with a tank is common. I have an ARB twin and no tank for airing up 37's and it works just fine.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
ARB single is 50% duty cycle, vs. 100% for the dual - you'd need to let the single cool down for 30 minutes after 30 minutes of use - at least according to the docs.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
With a tank and a dual compressor you can run power tools.

I have the dual for tire inflation, takes my 35s from 12 psi to 28 in about 1 min 35 seconds a tire

A38A0DD4-0382-4132-81C4-74B28382A672.jpeg

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@sourdough, @LanceMagnum, and @Burt....thank you very much for all your input.

@Burt, most of the YouTube videos I can find regarding this topic confirm what you state - that the ARB dual compressor will inflate a tire in approximately 90 seconds or so. But these same videos suggest the ARB single compressor only takes about twice that amount of time. 4 tires at 3 minutes per tire is 12 minutes total. Add in some time to connect the air supply and such and you have maybe 15 or 16 minutes of total time.

@LanceMagnum, this seems to fall well within the recommended duty cycle ARB publishes and would easily allow for an appropriate cooling period to occur.

I do not currently use air tools. Is this the only advantage? I think I am most concerned what would happen if I added one or two ARB air lockers; would the single work the same way as the dual or does the dual offer some benefit?

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The compressor won't be running the whole time for the lockers, just to actuate them. You'd be fine with the single.

The simple answer is the dual compressor is exactly that, two compressors working at the same time to provide twice the CFM (cubic feet per minute). It will allow you to inflate tires roughly twice as fast. Potentially allow you to run some air tools as well, as they require a minimum CFM to operate.

Some people choose to use a single compressor and an air tank to accommodate for additional air-flow requirements or increase air-up times (also ability to quickly burp air into a tire to reset a bead).

You can save time or money. Your choice. ;-)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The answer is depends on a few things:

1) What size tires do you plan?
2) Where you air down is there an air station if your compressor fails? If no, how far away?
3) Will you be doing single tire at a time or a multi-tire setup for airing up?
4) Do you plan to run air tools?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP, a twin is nice for blowing that fine silt dust out of a rig too.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Hello all! I am trying to decide which ARB compressor unit I should purchase. Initially, this will be the purpose of inflating/deflating the tires. Eventually, I might purchase an ARB locker, but that would be after the LSD in my M220 wears out.

My questions are these:
  • Is there any performance difference between the ARB compressors when operating of a locker or lockers? Or is the single just as capable as the dual in this regard?
  • Other than the speed at which my tires would inflate and/or deflate, are there any capabilities the dual compressor would offer that the single compressor would not?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I chose the dual to have the 100% duty cycle. I also got it for 20% on a Black Friday Sale last year from Northridge 4X4. I have used it many times to fill my tires after off-roading and to fill others who had inexpensive air compressors that are more suited to airing up a regular car tire. I mounted it under the passenger seat so that it was less obvious to criminal types. Even with the doors off it is fairly innocuous as the black mounting plate hides the blue of the compressors and you can only see the quick air coupling.

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@GearWhore and @oceanblue2019 and @_olllllllo_ ....thank you.

@oceanblue2019, here are my responses to your questions....
I plan to run a tire no larger than 35". Currently, I have the stock Willy's tires (255/75-17). Airing up one tire at a time is fine for me. I do not own any air tools. My answer to your questions about the location of an air station is "...I really do not know as I have not thought about it before." It is a great question and something I need research.

@sourdough, that might be the one thing I would do if I had the capability!

@_olllllllo_, great idea suggesting seeking out a black friday deal.
Sponsored