Sponsored

Anyone else wrenching during quarantine?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I ordered my 2020 JLU Altitude with the hitch package. Then deleted it last second because i read on the Jeep brochure ir was only a 1 1/4" receiver that shipped with the tow option. Of course the info was wrong! I'll be installing the 2" receiver when the Jeep finally shows up.

The hitch is puppy piss easy but it looks like the wiring harness has to send a hot lead all the way up to the battery?? This seems odd, as the last 2 vans i put hitches on , Honda and Chevy, the wiring harness got everything off the tail light assembly. simple plug and play.

Anybody find an easier solution than feeding a line up to the battery? It's not the end of the world to do that but there has to be an easier way
All the after market wiring harnesses need battery power as well, they're only using the tail lights for inputs to trigger relays. They try to keep the vehicle wiring isolated from the trailer wiring so a shorted trailer doesn't fry anything on the vehicle side since everything is canbus these days.

I finally managed to get a piece slag knocked off and hitch installed yesterday, finishing the wiring today, the hardest part is finding a safe route over the rear axle, after that you can run it along the inside of the frame over the gas tank skid to the front and just fish it up behind the battery.
@desync0 is correct. I had it easy because I'm only using the hitch for my new @Quadratec bike rack, so I just needed the receiver. No worries about fishing the wires through.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I only work till noon on Saturdays, so I'll have more daylight hours to chop my front fenders to make way for the AAL fender brace/led, retention hardware kit, and inner fender liners. I've also got a synergy front track bar reinforcement to install.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Spent the last week getting the following installed/done:

RK 2.5" Adv Series 1 lift with Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks
Synergy Tie Rod, Drag link, and TB/Sector Shaft Brace
Fox 2.0 IFP SS
Dynomax muffler delete pipe
Warn winch plate and VR EVO 10S winch
Front/Rear Diff fluid changed
Painted rings for the Vision wheels
Metalcloak Sportgate tire carrier

Still have to do:
Install and wire Warn Power Interrupt Kit for winch

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Took advantage of Corona social distancing to complete some projects. :)

Added a Trailer Hitch, Rubicon Rails, Teraflex ST1 (4 door) Lift, Mopar Longer LCAs, Rubicon Wheels, 33" KO2s, Venator Bumper (still deciding if I want to add the overider bar), 9,500lb winch, Factor 55 Flat Splicer hook..I still need to install longer shocks and remote wire the winch controller.

IMG_20200503_134806867.jpg

IMG_20200503_134455410_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200503_134527824_HDR.jpg

View attachment 315375

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
20200507_224050.jpg
With many forms of usual entertainment shut down here in Colorado, I’ve brought forward some of my planned upgrades. Last weekend was installation of Synergy drag link, tie rod and stabilizer. Just ordered the front trackbar and sector shaft brace. Awaiting delivery of a rear bumper, installed backup lights (still have to wire them up) and will finally get around to painting the dashboard pieces. I had originally planned to spread this stuff out, but you can only binge on so much TV!
I was but then this happened... 4 weeks lost and 2 more to go. By the time I'll be able to go back wrenching, warm weather will be here :(

View attachment 315403
IMG_20200408_104305_714.jpg
the culprit...
IMG_20200408_123940_227.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I was but then this happened... 4 weeks lost and 2 more to go. By the time I'll be able to go back wrenching, warm weather will be here :(

the culprit...
IMG_20200408_123940_227.jpg
I sprained my wrist the same way. It's amazing how much torque those big drills transfer when the bit gets stuck.
After that incident I went out and bought a used old Dayton drill press and cleaned it up and have been using that ever since -- except when absolutely necessary to use a hand drill.
I can't imagine a busted finger, though. I am a software engineer and would be screwed if I couldn't type.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
...I installed my new premium soft top late last week and got to drive around with it this weekend. All I can say is that the hard top might be going up for sale. 1. at least while new, the soft top is more quiet than the hard top! 2. The soft top couldn't be any easier to fold down. 3. I'm not sure I'm ever going to be willing to take all the soft top hardware off so I can put the hard top back on.

I got the garage mostly organized this weekend so I actually have some room to work.

As for wrenching I already did my winch interrupt. But I never liked the way I wired my accessory switches to my accessories. So I'm going to mount up some power distribution blocks and organize that birds nest.

Then I'm going to start to work on a custom aluminum storage box for the rear cargo area. I know there are aftermarket boxes, but i need to keep it short so the dogs can sit on top of it and still stand up and turn around. Then there is the matter of the sub-woofer location in the 2 door which none of the aftermarket drawers address. So out comes the tig welder. Next issue is to find someone with some aluminum sheets so I don't have to buy new. Aluminum is really expensive right now.

I've also got some LED bulbs coming in for the front DRL and flashers. That's only a 20 minute job but still counts as wrenching, right?

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I sprained my wrist the same way. It's amazing how much torque those big drills transfer when the bit gets stuck.
After that incident I went out and bought a used old Dayton drill press and cleaned it up and have been using that ever since -- except when absolutely necessary to use a hand drill.
I can't imagine a busted finger, though. I am a software engineer and would be screwed if I couldn't type.
I also bought a drill press. Hope it gets here before my doctor gives me the green light to go back to the garage to finish the project I was working on when this happened. Right now the rear axle is on jack stands.
Most of my work is in front of a computer. Fortunately, not much typing, but I did have to learn to use the mouse with my left hand.
Sponsored