Am I really this dumb?

Wstevenson94

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Willys
I thought if I put a volt meter across the 2 battery leads I should get a reading of 12 volts. I am getting a zero reading and the Jeep starts and runs fine. What am I missing? It is a 2021 Willys 4 cyl.
Sponsored

OffRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I thought if I put a volt meter across the 2 battery leads I should get a reading of 12 volts. I am getting a zero reading and the Jeep starts and runs fine. What am I missing? It is a 2021 Willys 4 cyl.
It should measure closer to 13 V. Are you sure you're using your voltmeter correctly? VDC? not AC.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I thought if I put a volt meter across the 2 battery leads I should get a reading of 12 volts.
Already mentioned but realize that battery voltage is a "nominal" number. A 12V battery is apparently not really 12V, for reasons that I can't say. And battery voltage depends on the state of charge. As the charge in the battery is used the voltage will drop, this is how some devices such as your cellphone can estimate how much battery is left. Different battery types decline in different ways- flash light dry cells will decline faster as the battery is used than litium ion batteries that tend to hold voltage better until they get really depleted.

Deleted member 59498

Just for information 12.7 is when the battery is bad?

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Thanks

My sons 2007 Liberty, man they ride like go-carts but really are reliable so far for years and years, and great for snow.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Thanks

My sons 2007 Liberty, man they ride like go-carts but really are reliable so far for years and years, and great for snow.
I think you are the first person I have heard say the Liberty is reliable! I almost bought my wife a used model a few years back but went to the Liberty Forum and all the owners were expressing their hatredā€¦ erā€¦ regret maybe for their purchase. Some were going so far as to scrap them rather than sell them!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
If it makes you feel any better, here's a dumb story involving a meter.

I decided I was tired of powering my wood shop with an extension cord, and I wanted to run a dedicated circuit out there to the shed. I only wanted to run one set of wires, so I went to the electrical supply and bought the biggest, baddest, most gigantic honking ass breaker money could buy.

It was a double pole breaker. I didn't know that a double pole breaker straddles TWO bus bars, and provides 220 VAC.

So I ran my 10 gauge wires out to the shop, wired up all my outlets, hooked my shop lights to the new wiring, and fired everything up.

My fluorescent light fixtures started making a weird noise, and then they started smoking.

What's up with that?

So I got out my handy dandy meter, and the last thing I saw before the meter exploded in my hand was the number 220 on the display.

The name is DuMass. :blush:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Already mentioned but realize that battery voltage is a "nominal" number. A 12V battery is apparently not really 12V, for reasons that I can't say. And battery voltage depends on the state of charge. As the charge in the battery is used the voltage will drop, this is how some devices such as your cellphone can estimate how much battery is left. Different battery types decline in different ways- flash light dry cells will decline faster as the battery is used than litium ion batteries that tend to hold voltage better until they get really depleted.
Each of the 6 cells in the battery produce 2.2 volts, so your 12V lead acid car battery should show 13.2 Volts fully charged.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I think you are the first person I have heard say the Liberty is reliable! I almost bought my wife a used model a few years back but went to the Liberty Forum and all the owners were expressing their hatredā€¦ erā€¦ regret maybe for their purchase. Some were going so far as to scrap them rather than sell them!
My wife bought an '03 Liberty Limited in September of '02. We gave it to my son last year when he turned 17 and got his license. It's got around 90K miles on it and runs great. We lifted it and he wheeled it out once at Rausch Creek with no problems. We've done all regular maintenance and some other repairs, but nothing we haven't been able to handle on our own....though, I'm really not looking forward to replacing the steering rack bushings LOL.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I hear this a lot but I see a ton of older Jeep libertys around my area in the North east chugging right along. My son has a 2002 we bought for him in 2015 and its run fine the whole time. The only issues weā€™ve had have been with the radiator/ cooling system and some rusted out exhaust system pieces. Engine starts every morning.

Conversely, we bought a 2004 Toyota Highlander for my daughter in 2018 and had nothing but problems, just junked it as several major issues cropped up that made the car un-drivable this year and it was more to repair than its worth.

Doesnā€™t mean anything statistically of course and I believe there may be issues with them but people seem to like them. Remember that more people with axes to grind post on online forums than happy owners.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I hear this a lot but I see a ton of older Jeep libertys around my area in the North east chugging right along. My son has a 2002 we bought for him in 2015 and its run fine the whole time. The only issues weā€™ve had have been with the radiator/ cooling system and some rusted out exhaust system pieces. Engine starts every morning.

Conversely, we bought a 2004 Toyota Highlander for my daughter in 2018 and had nothing but problems, just junked it as several major issues cropped up that made the car un-drivable this year and it was more to repair than its worth.

Doesnā€™t mean anything statistically of course and I believe there may be issues with them but people seem to like them. Remember that more people with axes to grind post on online forums than happy owners.
Thanks for that - but I wonā€™t share this with my wife. She was really quite enamoured with the Liberty and had I not poured cold water all over that ideaā€¦. Well, she would be a proud Jeep owner too! šŸ¤

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Yes, Was on DC. Turns out the meter is bad. Tested on a couple of other things with no result. Thanks for the reply.
Were you able to fix it? This happened to me too a few months ago. If you didn't toss the meter yet, I'd check inside.

Turned out that the sleeve the probe plugs into got pushed back and couldn't complete the circuit. Opened it and pushed it back out, and took the chance to change the plain jane "Do not open unit, no User serviceable parts" AAA battery.

Saved a few bucks, and didn't have to add to the landfill.
Sponsored