Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
As a 2018 JL 3.6L owner, please offer me reasons why it would be a bad idea to to today, go out and preventatively buy myself a replacement main battery like this beauty:

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Batt...20+Battery&qid=1626540743&s=automotive&sr=1-1

...and a compatible ESS battery,

...charge them up and stick them in a cool dry place for the inevitable need to replace my vehicle's factory batteries?

One answer I've thought of is that it makes more sense to buy a portable jump starter. Another answer I've though of is the reality that the rig has rarely been used (once a week) since Covid starts, and sits parked on my driveway on a trickle charger.

Another reason might be the storage life of the new batteries versus my aggressive idea of when the existing batteries will die.

I honestly do not know how much useful life, if any, such trickle charging adds to an otherwise infrequently used rig's batteries.

I'm pretty sure that I'll replace both batteries at the same time.

Thanks.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You could also keep them on a smart battery trickle charger to keep them at a healthy level. It’s probably not a bad idea, you’re just getting ahead of the inevitable.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I've been having a similar quandary. Titanium 4 handled with forever seal or a traditional wooden with six brass handles.

But then I remember, by the time I have to worry, it'll be someone else's problem.

I really don't care what happens to the vessel as long as my statue is flattering and made of bronze. Does that make me a bad person? 🤔

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
As a 2018 JL 3.6L owner, please offer me reasons why it would be a bad idea to to today, go out and preventatively buy myself a replacement main battery like this beauty:

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Batt...20+Battery&qid=1626540743&s=automotive&sr=1-1

...and a compatible ESS battery,

...charge them up and stick them in a cool dry place for the inevitable need to replace my vehicle's factory batteries?

One answer I've thought of is that it makes more sense to buy a portable jump starter. Another answer I've though of is the reality that the rig has rarely been used (once a week) since Covid starts, and sits parked on my driveway on a trickle charger.

Another reason might be the storage life of the new batteries versus my aggressive idea of when the existing batteries will die.

I honestly do not know how much useful life, if any, such trickle charging adds to an otherwise infrequently used rig's batteries.

I'm pretty sure that I'll replace both batteries at the same time.

Thanks.

If you are worried about the batteries replace them. It may be worth it just for piece of mind.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I've been having a similar quandary. Titanium 4 handled with forever seal or a traditional wooden with six brass handles.

But then I remember, by the time I have to worry, it'll be someone else's problem.

I really don't care what happens to the vessel as long as my statue is flattering and made of bronze. Does that make me a bad person? 🤔
So, I think that you’re talking of the coffin that when you assume occupancy of you’ll be dead an unaware of: that same coffin visible to your survivors for 30 minutes between service and burial.

Wow, great analogy!(not). I hope to survive the assumption of new batteries.

“survey said”: -200

my batteries are 3 years old ace, not 3 months old. This planning, if nothing else, is not paranoid.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
So, I think that you’re talking of the coffin that when you assume occupancy of you’ll be dead an unaware of: that same coffin visible to your survivors for 30 minutes between service and burial.

Wow, great analogy!(not). I hope to survive the assumption of new batteries.

“survey said”: -200

my batteries are 3 years old ace, not 3 months old. This planning, if nothing else, is not paranoid.

I see, I see. What you are trying to articulate is that I am indeed; not a bad person. Thanks Brov.:rock:

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I have purchased a jump start pack. Never thought of one until this new era of vehicle.
Not only on board if needed but able to help others as well.
One I personally needed it, purchase new batteries.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What is the advantage of buying now vs buying when you need it? Getting ahead of inevitable inflation? Convenience? Convenience value can only be determined by you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through this myself a month ago. The batteries were getting weak and creating all sorts of electronic gremlins.

I drove to O'Reiley's and got exact replacement for the main and the auxiliary batteries in their in-house brand, Super Last. They seem to get very good reviews. The main battery was $199 and the auxiliary battery $109.

I replaced them myself. The auxiliary battery was a PITA; hope they last at least 3 years.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Would buying them now mean less warranty when you put them in?

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Are we facing a battery supply shortage too? Possible since many things are in short supply. I do not follow the logic of buying new batteries to save until you might need them unless there is a supply issue. Otherwise at the first sign of trouble you just go down to the store and buy what you need. If you are simply wanting to be proactive with a known problem area on your vehicle by replacing the batteries before they have failed that makes sense. I wouldn't go to the store, buy new batteries to save on a charger in my garage though. I am not seeing the advantage to doing that.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
The stock battery on my 2017 Renegade pooped out a couple of months ago. I think 4 years is about all you can expect from an OE battery, so I'd look at a replacement pretty soon.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The only problem that I see with buying batteries in advance is that they are aging as they sit waiting for use. They have a lifespan that will be shorter by however long they sit on a shelf before installation. If it’s a couple of months it’s probably not an issue. If it ends up being an extended period, then you’ve gotten less useful life than if you’d bought fresh ones when needed.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The JL's are not known for being equipped with long lasting, quality batteries. I agree with buying a high quality battery, but you lost me on then keeping it on the shelf waiting for the stock battery to die.

You're already on borrowed time with your stock battery. If you're buying an upgraded battery, why not just install it? There's no downside to replacing the stock battery with an Odyssey. With tires, it's easy to see them wear and know approximately when they'll need to be replaced. Not so easy to do that with your battery. Replace it before it actually stops working and be done with it. The Odyssey should give you peace of mind for many years, unlike the stock battery.
Sponsored