Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
So I've been driving manual Jeeps since the 1980's. My last wrangler was a 2004. I'm at the dealership now picking up my new 2019 JLU Sport. Went to go on my first inspection drive having only test driven the automatic transmission.

Get in, look at the knob, note that reverse is the first "notch" so put it in 1st.

Stall. Repeatedly. Get it going up the hill. Stall at the stop sign. Really have to dump it. Lots of smoke. Finally make it down the road and stop for gas.

THAT'S when I realize you have to pull up that red ring to engage reverse. I'd been starting it in 3rd the whole time!

I'm an idiot. Don't be me...
Sponsored

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
So I've been driving manual Jeeps since the 1980's. My last wrangler was a 2004. I'm at the dealership now picking up my new 2019 JLU Sport. Went to go on my first inspection drive having only test driven the automatic transmission.

Get in, look at the knob, note that reverse is the first "notch" so put it in 1st.

Stall. Repeatedly. Get it going up the hill. Stall at the stop sign. Really have to dump it. Lots of smoke. Finally make it down the road and stop for gas.

THAT'S when I realize you have to pull up that red ring to engage reverse. I'd been starting it in 3rd the whole time!

I'm an idiot. Don't be me...
Lol and thanks. I’m getting to pull the trigger on a real Jeep also. There are very, very few 2-door, soft top, manuals here on dealer lots. May order without Auto without ever driving a stick JL also...

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Lol and thanks. I’m getting to pull the trigger on a real Jeep also. There are very, very few 2-door, soft top, manuals here on dealer lots. May order without Auto without ever driving a stick JL also...
I bought mine a month ago, I did a nationwide search for a 2dr, manual, soft top, Rubicon and there were only 86 left on dealer lots in the entire country (2018’s)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Reverse lockout isn't a new thing; my '86 Saab had it. And not all new cars have it; you didn't have to push/pull the stick to engage reverse on my F30 BMW, I don't think. It still wouldn't let you shift into reverse at speed, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Reverse lockout isn't a new thing; my '86 Saab had it. And not all new cars have it; you didn't have to push/pull the stick to engage reverse on my F30 BMW, I don't think. It still wouldn't let you shift into reverse at speed, though.
I'd never seen it. I learned something new! Goodness I've been having fun driving around the Driftless Edge today! I love the feel of this transmission.

Also of note, the salesperson was with me the whole time. He was no help as he'd never driven a manual. You should of seen his face as I dumped the clutch!

A humbling experience for me today.

Here's my new friend.

IMG_20181217_153308_868.jpg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Also of note, the salesperson was with me the whole time. He was no help as he'd never driven a manual. You should of seen his face as I dumped the clutch!

A humbling experience for me today.

Here's my new friend.

[/ATTACH]

Jeep dealership personnel being of no help...what a surprise... ;)

I don't necessarily believe a salesperson should know how to drive stick, but surely someone experienced should be present on a test drive...answer questions, get you out of a jam, etc. I'm glad you managed to figure it out, albeit the hard way.

Vive le baton!

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I had a reverse lockout on my first car, and I've driven several VWs that make you push down on the stick to get it in reverse. Had an 03 maxima with the reverse collar too. When I took my test drive, it took a really long time and then finally the sales guy just came and got me. I put it in reverse pulling the ring and he just looked at me with a quizzical look and said. "Oooh, that's the trick." I'm not sure, but I suspect he couldn't figure it out so just decided to put me in and see what would happen. Not sure what he would have done if I didn't know how to do it either.

Don't feel bad. Most people can't even drive a manual anymore. Taking a bit of time to find the reverse lockout is no biggie.

gfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I'm with you on this one, though I hadn't seen reverse lockout before and was confused when I saw the gear label on the shifter. Luckily the salesperson was in the passenger seat and told me about the lockout so I wasn't worried about accidentally shifting into reverse!

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
My first car also had a key switch. You had to press the button under the steering column to turn the key and get it out of the ignition. My GF, who was one of the few people that could drive a stick even then, borrowed my car when hers blew the radiator hoses. She was going to a job interview, but couldn't get the key out. She ended up calling me from the restaurant worried she'd broken my car. I told her about the switch and all was well...after she got the job. Prior to that she did have some "words" for me for not telling her about the &$#% switch!

Sponsored

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
My first car also had a key switch. You had to press the button under the steering column to turn the key and get it out of the ignition. My GF, who was one of the few people that could drive a stick even then, borrowed my car when hers blew the radiator hoses. She was going to a job interview, but couldn't get the key out. She ended up calling me from the restaurant worried she'd broken my car. I told her about the switch and all was well...after she got the job. Prior to that she did have some "words" for me for not telling her about the &$#% switch!
Good times. I remember those too. Ha!

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
Roger that. I had an early 80's VW Rabbit. Had to push the stick down towards the transmission and into gear for reverse.

Bronx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Yep, first time I drove my JL home it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get it in reverse. Had a 74 Corvette at one time with a R lockout so it wasn't a real shock, just unexpected after driving a manual Ranger for 18 years without one.

MoparTH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon Unlimited
I was surprised it doesn't have a lockout solenoid like my GTO and Challenger did, it is energized below 3MPH to allow you to go into reverse but blocks reverse engagement above those speeds.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Dont feel bad, in the mix of waiting for my JL and my JK suffering a blown motor the dealer let me borrow a 19 Rebel for a bit so I could get to work. I didnt catch my sales guy starting it with the fob and it was my first time driving a push button and those funky turn dial shifters. Sat in the parking lot for an easy 5 min trying to figure out how to get it into drive hahaha. Then I realized I had to push the start button for everything to actually come on :facepalm:
Sponsored