Really Dumb But, Heads Up for Old Manual Transmission Users

a4_quattro28

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4Door
So I've been driving manual Jeeps since the 1980's. My last wrangler was a 2004. I'm at the dealership now picking up my new 2019 JLU Sport. Went to go on my first inspection drive having only test driven the automatic transmission.

Get in, look at the knob, note that reverse is the first "notch" so put it in 1st.

Stall. Repeatedly. Get it going up the hill. Stall at the stop sign. Really have to dump it. Lots of smoke. Finally make it down the road and stop for gas.

THAT'S when I realize you have to pull up that red ring to engage reverse. I'd been starting it in 3rd the whole time!

I'm an idiot. Don't be me...
It stall - is it because of Auto Stop/Start thing? If you think the traffic light will not hold long, keep the clutch pressed so the Auto Stop/Start will not activate, OR, remember to press the A button before you hit the road or before you hit your first stop. Just a thought.
Sponsored

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been driving manual Jeeps since the 1980's. My last wrangler was a 2004. I'm at the dealership now picking up my new 2019 JLU Sport. Went to go on my first inspection drive having only test driven the automatic transmission.

Get in, look at the knob, note that reverse is the first "notch" so put it in 1st.

Stall. Repeatedly. Get it going up the hill. Stall at the stop sign. Really have to dump it. Lots of smoke. Finally make it down the road and stop for gas.

THAT'S when I realize you have to pull up that red ring to engage reverse. I'd been starting it in 3rd the whole time!

If it's any consolation, my last manual was a YJ 15 years ago. Bought the JL and the first week I kept finding myself leaning down and left after starting the vehicle and coming up confused... Finally realized I was looking for the YJ E-Brake release...

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
It stall - is it because of Auto Stop/Start thing? If you think the traffic light will not hold long, keep the clutch pressed so the Auto Stop/Start will not activate, OR, remember to press the A button before you hit the road or before you hit your first stop. Just a thought.
He was in 3rd. Slot one was "reverse" (really first), so he put it in the next available slot, which was 3rd, thinking it was 1st. Gearing is low, but it takes some doing to start smoothly from 3rd.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Thi
He was in 3rd. Slot one was "reverse" (really first), so he put it in the next available slot, which was 3rd, thinking it was 1st. Gearing is low, but it takes some doing to start smoothly from 3rd.
This is correct. I was able to get it going too! The hill start at the stop sign was a trip.

Hammerton

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I've had a number of manual vehicles and still had two "well that's new..." moments with my new Jeep.

1) Hill Start Assist - had no idea you can take your foot right off the break on any hill and the jeep will not roll back until you start to release the clutch. Nice touch! Been doing the quick foot for years!

2) You can't stall the thing in idle. Great for traffic, first and second gear, take your foot off the gas and it just keeps going. Even up steep hills! My old cars would have stalled going down hill. :)

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I've had a number of manual vehicles and still had two "well that's new..." moments with my new Jeep.

1) Hill Start Assist - had no idea you can take your foot right off the break on any hill and the jeep will not roll back until you start to release the clutch. Nice touch! Been doing the quick foot for years!

2) You can't stall the thing in idle. Great for traffic, first and second gear, take your foot off the gas and it just keeps going. Even up steep hills! My old cars would have stalled going down hill. :)
On flat ground I idle at 20 mph in 4th. Great for driving though the neighborhood, one foot covering clutch, the other covering the brake. Kids in my neighborhood are worse than squirrels and deer.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon

I only recognized this during my test drive because I had a kia koupe right after I graduated college that had the same reverse pattern with "finger ring" thing
Sponsored