RacerX1015

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Hello,
I am starting to make some mods to my 2018 JLU sport and could use some advice. I don't do much off roading, but drive on the beach often. I am replacing the stock bumper and replacing with a Rampage rock rage bumper. It's heavier and I'm concerned about sag in the front end. I also want to go up to a slightly larger tire on stock wheels.

I would like to add a spacer leveling kit but wonder if that will be enough to support the added weight. Keeping budget in mind any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A spacer kit would certainly fit your needs, while also being mindful of budget. They don't change the performance of the suspension and weight carrying ability, just ride height.

If your Jeep is sitting level now, take measurements before and after the bumper is installed so you know how much the front end sags. Than you will know how thicker of a spacer is needed for the front compared to the rear. How tall of a spacer kit that's needed will be determined by what size tire you want. If you like the stance now, get a spacer thickness that matches the increased radius of the new tire height.

Also, try to stick with a C-rated tire. That's the load rating. D's and E's will get increasingly stiffer and can have a negative impact on driver comfort.

Welcome to the community!

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Get a set of Rubi take off wheels (or just tires) for the traction you need on the beach-285’s will look good and work well with minimum impact on mpg’s, etc.. for the bumper-if you must change it, check out an aluminum on. I added a Rockhard Patriot aluminum AND a Smiitybuilt winch and it was only like 60 lbs more than the stock plastic-no suspension change/spacer, etc needed. Mine works great and I do a fair amount of trail running in moderate stuff,

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking bumper to be sure. If you are going to go that route, The added weight will cause some sag in the front. A spacer kit will level it out but spacers only add height and they do not help with added weight. The Weight will still compress the springs.

Probably the best solution is to find some take off springs from a Diesel or 4XE JLU. Bing they have more weight due to the drive trains, that should put you back to stock height or maybe slightly more. Just remember spacers do ad lift but they do not add supporting the weight!

Another thing I would do is make sure the BACK SIDE of the new bumper is coated with something to protect it. POR 15, Undercoating, something. I’ve seen too many start to rust from the backside and cause issues down the road.
Sponsored