Vehicle Showcase

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Nice design, noticed you mention printed in PLA, I would suggest Nylon for Heat/Weather and Flex. If I find some time I will try to print one and see if I can offer any advice.
That would be great. Iā€™ve wanted to start playing with nylon and/or CF-reinforced filaments but just havenā€™t taken the leap.

JeeperJC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR and 2020 Jeep Gladiator
That would be great. Iā€™ve wanted to start playing with nylon and/or CF-reinforced filaments but just havenā€™t taken the leap.
I was using ABS a lot for heat/strength, but then started using PET-G and have had great success. Great middle ground of the ease of printing with PLA and the (close enough for my use) heat/strength of ABS without the warping/cooling issues or the horrible smell associated with ABS.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
PLA+ is a bit more heat resistant than standard PLA. I'm using COEX PLA Prime (US made).
Many of the 2A device printers recommend PLA+ for its impact and heat resistance.

Last edited:

JeeperJC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR and 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Created another 3d print file to share with the forum. This is pretty specific to my use, but thought it may be useful to others or you could start with the bracket and modify for your use case. My goal was a simple mount that would prevent me from needing to drill holes in the Jeep.

I have a Midland MXT575 with the remote control panel on the mic. I wanted to have the ability to plug it in at the dash for use on trips like normal, but also wanted the option to pop the tailgate open and have easy access to the mic from the rear of the vehicle (base camp).

I made a simple cat6 splitter so I can have a port at the dash and one in the rear and ran a cat-5 cable to the back of the jeep:
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_9028.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_9030.JPEG

Then picked up a waterproof cat6 connector for the back on amazon:
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1667950063199

and then created a bracket to zip tie it to the bottom of my XG Cargo Wrangler Gama storage bag frame (came out sturdy, can use one handed):
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_9031.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_9036.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_9037.JPEG

I run a dash mounted magnet on the front of the jeep, so I picked up a molle compatible magnet on amazon and that's what holds the handset up:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1667950243269

Here is the bracket and the link to the file on Thingiverse:
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1667950458556

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5616718

Sponsored

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently
Awesome thread! What 3d printer should I get? I want to start doing this type of stuff

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
its a learning curve for sure , i wish i knew everything now when i first started. lol
if you wish to just tinker around and make decent prints without spending a ton on a printer/s

get stock ender 3
they print nice and are not that much money
but you do alot of tinkering to get them to print better and better

if u want great prints
prusa printers are hard to beat but are pricey

u can also build your own like a voron but that takes some time and knowledge with printers

you can goto www.tinymachines3d.com
they take stock machines and add aftermarket parts to make them run to perfection
so lets say you could get the ender3 s1 plus from them and not have to tinker much at all
there are tons of machines you can purchase
its a $$$$ hobby ask how i know lol
i have way to many machines and parts for each one .
you will get hooked for sure once u print your fisrt thing.

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently
its a learning curve for sure , i wish i knew everything now when i first started. lol
if you wish to just tinker around and make decent prints without spending a ton on a printer/s

get stock ender 3
they print nice and are not that much money
but you do alot of tinkering to get them to print better and better

if u want great prints
prusa printers are hard to beat but are pricey

u can also build your own like a voron but that takes some time and knowledge with printers

you can goto www.tinymachines3d.com
they take stock machines and add aftermarket parts to make them run to perfection
so lets say you could get the ender3 s1 plus from them and not have to tinker much at all
there are tons of machines you can purchase
its a $$$$ hobby ask how i know lol
i have way to many machines and parts for each one .
you will get hooked for sure once u print your fisrt thing.
Wow thanks for all of the information I am going to look into this.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_1296

print some nerdy helmets and watch tv - the wife will just love it hahahahahaha

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer

L06An_5

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wheeler JLU
Added some 3D-printed white bling to my new bumper.

Those 5 circular openings just needed "something."

Before:

And after adding some TPU-printed bling (the 5 white rings):

Are the clip in or screw in backs?

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
Are the clip in or screw in backs?
I have a center channel that they slip in. 3mm over on the front side, 3mm over on the back side, and a 0mm abutment through the center.
Theyā€™re TPU, so they give enough to squeeze in, but arenā€™t going anywhere once theyā€™re in.

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
I just installed Teraflex Nomad wheels on my JLR, which were a 0mm offset vs. the OEM 44.5mm offset. This swap prevented the factory tailgate bump stops from hitting the spare tire, which isn't ideal. Looking for ideas on the forum, I ran across this thread. Unfortunately it didn't have a solution that either moved me, or didn't cost a significant amount of money: Tailgate Bumpstops?

After thinking about it a little bit, I figured I'd try to 3D print something, which ended up working great. Here is what I came up with, and I designed it in SolidWorks:

In the image below, I made the spacer transparent to show the ID feature, which accepts the factory bump stop just like it was installed from the factory. I tried to design the ID in a way to not need any support structure when printing, and I used existing dimensions off the Jeep wherever possible for all features. I also added a boss on the LH side to fit in the existing tailgate hole where the factory bump stop was installed, and the undercut you see on the LH OD was clearance for the Mopar tailgate reinforcement. If you don't have one of those, you won't need that undercut, and you only need one spacer with that undercut as the Mopar tailgate reinforcement doesn't extend to the drivers side spacer.

To hold it on the Jeep, I used a short lag screw and washer I had laying around. This was installed from the inside of the tailgate as you can see in the picture below, and the boss centered it in the existing hole. To access that area, you have to remove the inner tailgate panel, which literally snaps right off and re-installs pretty effortlessly.

This design is also pretty flexible from a length standpoint, and you can change it based on your combination of tire & wheel width & offset. Mine was a pretty straightforward swap so I made it a nominal 1.75" long, which is almost exactly 44.5mm. Mine was also long enough that I didn't have to trim off the end of stop, however there is enough material there you could easily do it if you needed to make a shorter spacer.

After the print, the only thing I had to do was sand the LH face of the spacer, which had to be up during the print, and came out rougher than I would have liked. I didn't want that roughness against the paint (because of OCD), but it ended up to be as smooth as the other side when I was done. I also put a little grease on the retention part of the rubber stop to help it install easier, and hopefully come out when I get bigger tires after my factory ones wear out.

It ended up as solid as I could expect, and maintained the same compression on the bump stop as it had prior to the wheel swap. I hadn't seen anything like this on the forum, but appears to be an ideal and flexible solution.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers image001

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_6446

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_6445

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Many here will remember the ongoing discussions in regard to the iffy, windshield defrosting on a JL.

Myself and many others over the last few years have been using square plastic plugs placed strategically to improve hot air direction in order to improve on the JL's windshield defrosting.

Well, I can report that the strategically placed plugs did the deed for me... but recently a fellow forum member sent me the 3D printed diverters seen in the picture below to try out.

Can tell you the guy that printed these diverters did a terrific print job on them. They look factory and once placed they stay put.. inside of the diverters there is a angled channel that takes the forced hot air coming out of the diverter and directs it forward, directly toward the windshield.

Anyway, I can report the diverters are a positive addition to my strategically placed plugs.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 20221213_162950 1

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 20221213_161918 1

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 20221213_161926 1
Sponsored

Last edited: