Sponsored

392 Oil Temp

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I'm considering doing an oil cooler and transmission cooler. I did those on my WJ, and they seem to have worked great. I do have bypass valves on them so that fluid doesn't go through the aux coolers until it hits 180 degrees, but I doubt that's necessary unless you're driving up in the arctic.

I'm also researching alternate fluids - I've always used Red Line in everything and I've got a lot of 200k+ cars that still run like new. Their power steering fluid is great - but I have no idea if it's compatible with the 392. Seems like these things have some really weird "Mopar only" fluid specs.
Sponsored

Lambert

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Bringing this thread back to life. I'm averaging around 240 oil temp when i'm having some fun, not super aggressive driving but harder than normal. Seems high but also seems that's pretty average. Anyone else want to weigh in?
Mine averages the same but has definitely been higher on warmer days during spirited driving.

CJ-JLURXR

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
I'm considering doing an oil cooler and transmission cooler. I did those on my WJ, and they seem to have worked great. I do have bypass valves on them so that fluid doesn't go through the aux coolers until it hits 180 degrees, but I doubt that's necessary unless you're driving up in the arctic.

I'm also researching alternate fluids - I've always used Red Line in everything and I've got a lot of 200k+ cars that still run like new. Their power steering fluid is great - but I have no idea if it's compatible with the 392. Seems like these things have some really weird "Mopar only" fluid specs.
Let us know if you end up installing a cooler, I’d like to see how it goes.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Anyone done a cooler yet? 285 seems excessively high.

Looks like Jeep is calling the thing the oil filter screws into an “oil cooler”. With the lines coming in/out of it, it seems likes a relatively easy spot to plumb an external cooler to.

2CB07D02-92FB-4126-81F8-70F225895385.jpeg

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone done a cooler yet? 285 seems excessively high.

Looks like Jeep is calling the thing the oil filter screws into an “oil cooler”. With the lines coming in/out of it, it seems likes a relatively easy spot to plumb an external cooler to.

2CB07D02-92FB-4126-81F8-70F225895385.jpeg
Curious what were doing at that time? Ive only seen mine go up to 230, the highest ive seen for an NA engine was my C63 which was 245 but it had a cracked mainfold plate which also cause the idle to be higher and rough.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Playing in the snow. And yes, I clear the grill every time I stop. (I was leading and plowing when it got that hot)

746F3B92-8092-452A-A268-22870B3AE489.jpeg

OP
OP
beckbuilt

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the small cooler is inside the filter adapter and most likely just a coil that gets hot coolant circulated through. It seems adequate for general use but doesn’t have much extra cooling capacity if the engine is being worked hard.

I’d love to add an external air to oil cooler. There isn’t much room behind the grill but I think one could be slipped in.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Playing in the snow. And yes, I clear the grill every time I stop. (I was leading and plowing when it got that hot)
Off-road with a coolant temperature of around 230F I notice my fan kicks up to turbine mode. The oil temp will be higher, maybe 250F. The fan then runs like that until the coolant is down to around 200F, then repeats that cycle. The oil temp seems to move roughly in parallel.

Are you noticing your fan running full tilt with those temperatures? Kind of amazing that even with 29F outside air temp that the cooling system might be approaching its limits.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Off-road with a coolant temperature of around 230F I notice my fan kicks up to turbine mode. The oil temp will be higher, maybe 250F. The fan then runs like that until the coolant is down to around 200F, then repeats that cycle. The oil temp seems to move roughly in parallel.

Are you noticing your fan running full tilt with those temperatures? Kind of amazing that even with 29F outside air temp that the cooling system might be approaching its limits.
Yeah, fan ramps up, but….

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Yeah, fan ramps up, but….
I hear you. The hottest I've seen mine is at 10 mph. Will be interesting to see how it does with my 2500lb camper heading up a 6% pass at 100F this coming summer.

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
A lot of well known Hemi tuners install 180 thermostats when adding power to Hellcats and 392s. I’m going to add one and have it tuned accordingly for it when I do my cam swap either this year or next year. Getting rid of the MDS lifters.

As said above I also believe the oil cooler is cooled via coolant. Read that somewhere but can’t remember where. Hotter the coolant the less effective it is at taming those oil temps. Modern 203 and hotter thermostats are more for emissions than performance/engine longevity.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You are correct, I noticed it when I just changed my oil. I also saw a parts diagram of it while searching last night. Of course I can't find that now... I want the Livernois tuning anyway, this is definitely more motivation to do that with a lower thermostat!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
You are correct, I noticed it when I just changed my oil. I also saw a parts diagram of it while searching last night. Of course I can't find that now... I want the Livernois tuning anyway, this is definitely more motivation to do that with a lower thermostat!
Those would pair quite nicely! Easy tune adjustment on their end. For now my humble recommendation is stick to 5K mile *max* oil changes and a high quality synthetic oil/good filter is a must.

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I use my Tazzer to keep my 2020 2.0L cool when it gets to 230 Degrees. I will probably put one on my 392 also.
My 392 oil runs over 235 degrees running around town. That just feels too high…..
Sponsored