Sponsored

392 DIY Oil Filter preference

Which oil filter are you running/plan to run on your 392?

• MOPAR 04892339AC (Factory installed)

• MOPAR 899

• MOPAR 041

• Aftermarket (Fram, WiX, other)

• Whatever the dealer service department uses

Results are only viewable after voting.

MTGOAT

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GTO,14 Abarth,18 Velar,19 JLUR,22 392 XR
And yes, the oil filter drain makes a huge mess on the tie rod, drag link and especially the steering stabilizer boot. I have done a bunch of oil changes and thought I was slick and could catch it all in a glass jar. Evidentally, I am indeed not slick, so I recommend to make a tin foil funnel from the filter housing down to guide the drain.
I had this issue with my last 392 in my 2013 GC SRT. Knowing it would be the same issue on this engine I am looking at remote filter options. Just need to find enough room in the bay.
Sponsored

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I am finding the 04892339aa, 04892339ab, but not the 04892339ac filters online. Any difference between the three filters that impact fitment on the 392?

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’m going to use the MO-041 on all changes. It is bigger and kind of a PITA to screw off/on but I’m a fan of the extra filtration. Did the initial change at ~1100 miles and will do them every 5K.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 DIY Oil Filter preference 5F6AC5CF-CDCE-4DB2-A2DB-E8AB0B04C34D

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I had this issue with my last 392 in my 2013 GC SRT. Knowing it would be the same issue on this engine I am looking at remote filter options. Just need to find enough room in the bay.
I love the idea of remote filters, but if you're a do-it-yourselfer type and you've never installed one before, just be extra certain that you get any hose clamps sufficiently tight. I lost an engine in an older Toyota 4-runner that way once. The clamps were a PITA to tighten, and although they were a challenge, I thought had done a good enough job tightening them. Unfortunately, not so much. Lost an oil line that was attached to the adapter part that goes on the original filter mount on the block while playing in snow one day and didn't notice it had lost all it's oil until I started to hear a loud knock coming from the motor.

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I have a metric ton of Viper Gen IV and Gen V filters - at one point, they were the standard SRT filters for the hellcats and Demon. I'm trying to figure out if I can use them on the 392. Some of my Viper friends warn me that the bypass pressure is different (my Viper ACR-E idles at around 100 psi) so I 'm scratching my head. Seems there is a bizarre filter shortage these days, and some filters (like the Viper specific filter) aren't available. That said, it's about the highest quality filter you can get, and if it'll fit on my 392 safely, I'll use it.

Also, if people haven't already done so, at the earliest oil change possible, send a sample to Blackstone. That way you have a baseline to compare to when the engine wears in. I always get a sample at 500 miles, and then send in samples from there. Very helpful to see if anything is amiss.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to use the MO-041 on all changes. It is bigger and kind of a PITA to screw off/on but I’m a fan of the extra filtration. Did the initial change at ~1100 miles and will do them every 5K.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 DIY Oil Filter preference 5F6AC5CF-CDCE-4DB2-A2DB-E8AB0B04C34D
Interesting - this is the standard SRT Viper filter that I have. I'm scratching my head as to whether I want to use it or not - it's a great filter, but if the bypass settings are a problem, I'm looking for more info.

How's it working out for you so far?

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Interesting - this is the standard SRT Viper filter that I have. I'm scratching my head as to whether I want to use it or not - it's a great filter, but if the bypass settings are a problem, I'm looking for more info.

No issues. Just did my second oil/filter change with this setup.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just read a very extensive explanation of all the filters that will work on the Hemi engines. The 041 has some advantages and there doesn't seem to be any downside. They have more filtering material inside, and they have what looks to be a more stout and reliable bypass valve. I'm going to switch away from the stock filter at 500 miles, have a Blackstone test done, and use that as a benchmark going forward. It's also easier to just keep one filter on the shelf - I've got Vipers and Hemis, and I don't want to have to stock all kinds of different filters.

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 041AA filters are easy to find now. I just had a dozen of them delivered at about $15 each. Supposedly, in November Mopar is going to issue a new upgraded batch (probably called 041AB) that is slightly different. It's still the same thread pitch and overall size, so I'll get some of those when they come out. If you're interested, last I checked CARiD had about a hundred of them in stock. Here's the link: https://www.carid.com/mopar/engine-oil-filter-mpn-05038041aa.html

h2oriderz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
RockAuto has the 041 filter in stock now for $9.90 — easily the lowest price around at the moment.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No horse in the race, but no stranger to oil and filters and I would find a synthetic media filter when there is one available.

It will trap more dirt and flow more oil than a cellulose media based filter.

OP
OP
JDLouisville

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just read a very extensive explanation of all the filters that will work on the Hemi engines. The 041 has some advantages and there doesn't seem to be any downside. They have more filtering material inside, and they have what looks to be a more stout and reliable bypass valve. I'm going to switch away from the stock filter at 500 miles, have a Blackstone test done, and use that as a benchmark going forward. It's also easier to just keep one filter on the shelf - I've got Vipers and Hemis, and I don't want to have to stock all kinds of different filters.
Interested to hear results—Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
JDLouisville

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
1,000 miles, initial change on new ‘22 392.
Steel oil pan on this one—took 7 qtz, (as did my ‘21 w aluminum pan).
Went with MO-899 filter this time.

Anyone else w experience using this filter?

A53F7E58-E62B-4B55-A56D-A8B963D22BB5.jpeg

B68AD401-BC27-4249-A7F6-F2F85A79C479.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: