Sponsored

392 DIY Oil Filter preference

Which oil filter are you running/plan to run on your 392?

• MOPAR 04892339AC (Factory installed)

• MOPAR 899

• MOPAR 041

• Aftermarket (Fram, WiX, other)

• Whatever the dealer service department uses

Results are only viewable after voting.

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Being that the 392 is still running its inaugural year, there is limited information on which oil filters should be considered when performing an oil change on your 392 Wrangler.
I have catalogued a few above that both forum members and a quick web search have suggested compatible and recommended.
Iā€™m curious to see which forum members opt for when performing their initial oil change(s).
Sponsored

Last edited:

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Being that the 392 is still running its inaugural year, there is limited information on which oil filters should be considered when performing an oil change on your 392 Wrangler.
I have catalogued a few above that both forum members and a quick web search have suggested compatible and recommended.
Iā€™m curious to see which forum members opt for when performing their initial oil change(s).
Great idea and thanks for creating this. Also, it may be a good idea to mention what are the oil capacities of the early build 392ā€™s with the aluminum oil pans and the more recent builds with steel panā€˜s? I believe the steel pans require 7 quarts and didnā€™t the aluminum require 6.7 quarts?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Having previously owned a 2018 Dodge Challenger T/A and being a member over on www.challengertalk.com .....the preferred filter by lots of 5.7L and 6.4L owners was the MO 041. There was one post comparing various filters (including two of the MoPar versions) via some actual cutaways.

jgray1975

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU 392 XR Granite Crystal
Having previously owned a 2018 Dodge Challenger T/A and being a member over on www.challengertalk.com .....the preferred filter by lots of 5.7L and 6.4L owners was the MO 041. There was one post comparing various filters (including two of the MoPar versions) via some actual cutaways.
Yes I just watched that today..

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I did the first oil change around 2k miles using the mo041 the larger srt oil filter. It is tight, and very hard to get a good grip and I have to grind the lip off the oil filter wrench to fit on it. I did cut open both OEM and mo041, the mo041 is definitely well build and much more heavy duty, but I'm sticking with the Factory installed filter due to it's size and fitment. I'm changing the oil every 5k miles so I see no difference.

Sponsored

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
I have seen at least two different versions of the 392 performance supplement. One said capacity was 7.0 quarts, the other 7.5. I'm really hoping for 7.0, I hate dealing with fractional quarts of oil.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I have seen at least two different versions of the 392 performance supplement. One said capacity was 7.0 quarts, the other 7.5. I'm really hoping for 7.0, I hate dealing with fractional quarts of oil.
Really funny you bring this up today as I just changed mine. Manual says 7 but it was low after filling with 7 quarts. Called a friend who is a shop manager at a dealer in Northern Calif and he said yeah add the .5 and itā€™ll be fine. I actually added maybe 1/3 and it brought it right to the full mark.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really funny you bring this up today as I just changed mine. Manual says 7 but it was low after filling with 7 quarts. Called a friend who is a shop manager at a dealer in Northern Calif and he said yeah add the .5 and itā€™ll be fine. I actually added maybe 1/3 and it brought it right to the full mark.
which oil pan you have? Cast aluminum or stamped steel? Mine has the cast one and 7qt is right on the top mark.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
which oil pan you have? Cast aluminum or stamped steel? Mine has the cast one and 7qt is right on the top mark.
Well I thought it was the steel but you got me second guessing myself. Think my build date was Oct 21 and it was my understanding the pans Pryor to October were the Aluminum. Hell now Iā€™m not sure

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I thought it was the steel but you got me second guessing myself. Think my build date was Oct 21 and it was my understanding the pans Pryor to October were the Aluminum. Hell now Iā€™m not sure
They look miles apart, like apples and watermelon, canā€™t mix them up. Cast aluminum is silver in color and drain plug on bottom hanging super low. Steel is painted in black and drain plug on side.

Sponsored

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
They look miles apart, like apples and watermelon, canā€™t mix them up. Cast aluminum is silver in color and drain plug on bottom hanging super low. Steel is painted in black and drain plug on side.
Mines the black steel with the plug aimed toward the rear

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I did mine over the holiday break using the factory filter (339) and it took 6.25 quarts to fill to the top of the hash mark. Oil was 185Ā° when i drained it and that was for approx 8 minutes. When full the oil pressure at operating temperature is ~32 psi at idle and ~55psi under load.

And yes, the oil filter drain makes a huge mess on the tie rod, drag link and especially the steering stabilizer boot. I have done a bunch of oil changes and thought I was slick and could catch it all in a glass jar. Evidentally, I am indeed not slick, so I recommend to make a tin foil funnel from the filter housing down to guide the drain.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Whatā€™s kind of odd is that I checked the engine oil level a day or two after I took delivery of the new Jeep and found that the oil level was at aboit the half mark on the stick. I think they dump in 7 and call it a day.

OP
OP
JDLouisville

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change (6 mos old, 2000 miles)
ā€˜21 392: Took 7.0 quarts. Aluminum oil pan.

Last edited: