392 Coolant Mixing with Oil?

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I have a 2018 Ram Powerwagon with the 6.4 liter Hemi and it spells like it’s leaking coolant and has done that since new (91k miles now). I worried about it for a few weeks but I never had a leak and the coolant levels never dropped too low.
Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Your coolant tank looks totally normal. Residue will build up and stain the plastic. When theyre mixing you will know it`.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Check the radiator tank to core seals closely. This is a known issue with the V6, and considering the radiators are built the same way, possibly an issue for the 392 as well.

Mine was losing coolant fairly quick as well, and never had a single drop hit the ground. Radiator tank seam on the driver side was the culprit.

Every modern vehicle has a closed cooling system. If the level is dropping and you smell it - you have a leak somewhere. Passing a leak check doesn't necessarily mean everything is good. It's possible that there's a small leak somewhere that will only manifest when the system is at operating temp. Leak checks aren't done at operating temp.

I know it's a long shot, but it could be something as simple as a defective cap. Water will evaporate before coolant does, and if the cap seal is bad it will allow the water vapor to escape causing the overall level to drop.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
On the plus side, you've got 60,000 miles to figure this out.
<30,000 miles. Power train doesn’t cover the radiator/hoses. But, I should not have to top off every two weeks.
unless it's black & white, you can physically see it leaking, dripping, broken, missing or have a constant error code. They are unlikely to Warranty repair it.
Indeed. I was turned away many times before. I was told to come back when the level was below min. It didn’t take long. It was only above the min because I was refilling it. my photos didn’t matter.

Today they towed it back in with the intention of replacing the radiator to see if that was it. However, the residue in the tank has them thinking.
Your coolant tank looks totally normal. Residue will build up and stain the plastic.
But, that residue wasn’t there until today. I know; I’ve been monitoring closely for weeks. Other JLs I’ve owned did not have this. I always check coolant levels before long trips. Have never seen this before
Radiator tank seam on the driver side was the culprit.
I had that problem before on another Jeep.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. This is hard to diagnose.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a 2018 Ram Powerwagon with the 6.4 liter Hemi and it spells like it’s leaking coolant and has done that since new (91k miles now). I worried about it for a few weeks but I never had a leak and the coolant levels never dropped too low.
Wow. So they’re not telling me some BS? Why would the engine smell like coolant if it wasn’t leaking coolant? Did you have to refill periodically?

Sponsored

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Wow. So they’re not telling me some BS? Why would the engine smell like coolant if it wasn’t leaking coolant? Did you have to refill periodically?
Not once and I’ve driven it on many multi day hot desert off-road adventures. Here it is stretching its legs on Silver crack near Moab (7 Mile Rim)

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not once and I’ve driven it on many multi day hot desert off-road adventures. Here it is stretching its legs on Silver crack near Moab (7 Mile Rim)

Fun times! I was hoping the coolant smell wasn’t a thing so that a radiator replacement might fix it.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
It definitely can't hurt to have a Blackstone test done. They'll tell you if you have coolant in the oil, and they'll also give you an analysis of how your engine is doing.

If it were me, I'd do a UV light leak test on it. You can get all the things you need from any Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. Or, get the stuff online. The kit will have the UV dye, and a UV light. Put the dye in, let it circulate for several hot/cold driving cycles, and then at night, take the light and point it all over your engine bay and under your Jeep where you normally park.

If you have a leak, you'll be able to track it down pretty quick. Even if it's just a tiny leak that's evaporating before it hits the ground, you'll see it.

I use this stuff - works with any UV light. If you search for UV light, you'll find a million of them that work great. https://www.amazon.com/FJC-4926-Universal-Radiator-Coolant/dp/B0049MEDJ4

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I do have a problem. My coolant level has been steadily dropping over weeks. I’ve gone through half a jug refilling it. The loss is slow. There is a leak somewhere, and what’s in the photos of the reservoir is the only thing that looks unusual. I’ve never seen residue on the inside of the reservoir until today.

Not a ‘nervous wreck’, just looking for some help.
You could have loose clamps that leak coolant when there is some pressure in the system and stop leaking once you turn the engine off. so maybe look up the torque on those hose clamps and check them or replace those spring clamps and see if that stops the coolant level going down.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks to all for your help. If anyone has photos of residue in the coolant reservoir or reports of normal coolant-like smells from the 392 radiator, please post. Thanks again.
Sponsored