Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I recently did an oil change about 700 miles ago. The dealership reset the oil life gauge back to 100%. I noticed today that it shows at 89% after just 700 +/- miles. I know computers aren't 100% accurate and you shouldn't rely on them much, but it seems like it drains fast. Granted these engines de in terms of displacement and demand more in oil. I know oil consumption would increase with a larger engine but I'm used to changing it every 5k-6k miles not 4k (which is around 6 months). I dont drive it aggressive from a stop every single day I am driving it. I don't think any this is wrong but just wanted to hear others input about what they have experienced now that the 392 Wrangler has been out awhile.

Note: My 392 is completely stock and doesn't have the XR package.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This implies 6,363 miles OCI. Seems OK.

How long do you expect to go?

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This implies 6,363 miles OCI. Seems OK.

How long do you expect to go?
OCI? I when I had the 3.6 and it was time for its oil change it would be at 50% at 5k miles. I know the engine is obviously different, but it just seems like its consuming oil a lot faster than it should. I can see if I was punching the gas pedal all time that it would be using more oil.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
OCI? I when I had the 3.6 and it was time for its oil change it would be at 50% at 5k miles. I know the engine is obviously different, but it just seems like its consuming oil a lot faster than it should. I can see if I was punching the gas pedal all time that it would be using more oil.
It’s not consuming oil it’s just wearing it faster. Pretty normal for a high performance V8. The oil temps on these 6.4s runs pretty high IMO which leads to faster thermal breakdowns. Change it every 5K miles and you won’t have any issues.

Sponsored

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
It’s not consuming oil it’s just wearing it faster. Pretty normal for a high performance V8. The oil temps on these 6.4s runs pretty high IMO which leads to faster thermal breakdowns. Change it every 5K miles and you won’t have any issues.
I agree, I was confused by the consuming description. I figured it would be the heat and nature of the 392 that would cause the life to be somewhat “short” on a relative basis. I also thought I read that the oil change interval was not supposed to exceed 6 months, regardless of mileage anyway.

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have been changing it around 4k because by the point the oil is 35% and I already had a C63 have problems from the previous owner (which I traded in for something else) and I dont want to risk it. Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!!

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, I was confused by the consuming description. I figured it would be the heat and nature of the 392 that would cause the life to be somewhat “short” on a relative basis. I also thought I read that the oil change interval was not supposed to exceed 6 months, regardless of mileage anyway.
Is the consuming description mentioned in the owner's manual? Do you know what page it was on so I can look. So far with the mileage I drive a day it's been right at or slightly past 6 months.

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oil change interval.

I change the oil in my 3L at 5K miles. Don't care what the computer says.
The thought of 35% and 4K is what was scary to me. Now if it was reading 50% and 5k or something Id still change it out of habit because ive always changed it at 5k regardless.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
You're over thinking it. What is your OCI? Change it then. Done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
right now im doing it at 4k or so.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
You're good

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're good
Just seems to get consumed so fast lol my other V8 granted not N/A doesn't kill oil that quick lol

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Tendancy is to think a computer or algorithm is "smarter" but consider the program was probably created by a junior employee manager by a middle manager directed by a director with self interested motivation to drive the stock price in order to pad their own bonus.

Is this aligned with your priorities for your asset?

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tendancy is to think a computer or algorithm is "smarter" but consider the program was probably created by a junior employee manager by a middle manager directed by a director with self interested motivation to drive the stock price in order to pad their own bonus.

Is this aligned with your priorities for your asset?
? on the last sentence
Sponsored