Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
I like amsoil. I use it in my GSX-S1000F. I'd use it in my Jeep too, but I'm still on the "free oil chnge" deal from the dealer when I bought it, and I don't think it makes that much difference. Any good synthetic with a modern engine is going to give you close enough to the same results that with regular oil changes shouldn't make a bit of difference. (Lord, forgive me.. I got sucked into another oil thread). :CWL:
I just had my first free oil change at my Jeep dealership where I bought my Wrangler. They stock AMSOIL and used it with no extra charge. Another Jeep dealership near me also stocks AMSOIL. You might ask your dealership to stock it as well. Dilema solved.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
and, I have a sneaky suspicion that after ten years, and the rigorous study of the engines, there would be no statistical differnce between oil 1 and oil 2, 3, 4, 5 in normal driving. But I have no idea. Amsoil May turn out to be the clear winner or not.
There is a statistical engineer on BITOG who has tens of thousands of UOAs across various engine families and oil brands and with the exception of engines with known design issues the difference between oils which meet a designated specification and how they perform in engines is miniscule if detectable at all. So you would be quite right in your suspicions.

I would take that engineer's data all day over a marketing campaign that proves nothing. I use Amsoil gear oil (pretty much all I use), but Amsoil engine oil would not get a second glance. If Amsoil Signature Series is SO good, then why does it not have an API certification?

Amsoil's response - Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils? Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing (see the Ask AMSOIL entry above for more information).

Never have I read such a load of bovine scatology. If that is true, why not drop the API certification from its bottom tier oil and place it on their flagship oil? Does Amsoil sell more oil than ExxonMobil/BP Amoco/Chevron/Shell such that it cannot maintain a supply chain? Is Amsoil's supply chain so fragile that any additional certifications tax its system to the point of failure? Funny, how all of the majors are able to keep up with supplies AND maintain an API certification.

This Pentastar managed 626,000 miles on Mobil 1 and Valvoline--I suppose that Amsoil would have made 1 million?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34672...s-chrysler-pentastar-v6-is-after-626000-miles

Last edited:

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really could give a crap about ”28% better acid neutralizing power” if it does zip to improve my engine life. 28% better over something that is already (maybe) exceptionally good does nothing to better protect my engine. Has it been shown By Amsoil that Mobil 1’s inability to ”neutralize acid” is HURTING my engine? Is that Amsoil‘s claim? No, only that they are 28% better than something that already isn’t hurting my engine
Maybe this will help.
"How about engine cleanliness? A clean engine is a more efficient, longer-lasting engine. And, after pouring your time and hard-earned money into your vehicle, you expect it to last.

An oil’s total base number (TBN) is a measure of its ability to neutralize harmful acids that lead to engine deposits. When we pit AMSOIL vs Mobil 1 in TBN testing, AMSOIL delivers 28% more acid-neutralizing power than Mobil 1 to help your engine stay cleaner, longer." From https://blog.amsoil.com/amsoil-vs-m...8e8d4b-c91d-e911-9102-005056acc85a&zo=1181889

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I would love to run 5w-30 or even 10w-30 in the south Georgia heat, but I'm not taking any chance to 'void the warranty.' I just did the first change at 2200 miles, Penzoil 0w-20 was the only one in Autozone that met Jeep's particular spec.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a statistical engineer on BITOG who has tens of thousands of UOAs across various engine families and oil brands and with the exception of engines with known design issues the difference between oils which meet a designated specification and how they perform in engines is miniscule if detectable at all. So you would be quite right in your suspicions.

I would take that engineer's data all day over a marketing campaign that proves nothing. I use Amsoil gear oil (pretty much all I use), but Amsoil engine oil would not get a second glance. If Amsoil Signature Series is SO good, then why does it not have an API certification?

Amsoil's response - Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils? Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing (see the Ask AMSOIL entry above for more information).

Never have I read such a load of bovine scatology. If that is true, why not drop the API certification from its bottom tier oil and place it on their flagship oil? Does Amsoil sell more oil than ExxonMobil/BP Amoco/Chevron/Shell such that it cannot maintain a supply chain? Is Amsoil's supply chain so fragile that any additional certifications tax its system to the point of failure? Funny, how all of the majors are able to keep up with supplies AND maintain an API certification.

This Pentastar managed 626,000 miles on Mobil 1 and Valvoline--I suppose that Amsoil would have made 1 million?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34672...s-chrysler-pentastar-v6-is-after-626000-miles
What is the engineer's name and who does he work for? Does he have current API SP listed AMSOIL Signature Series data with severe service extended oil and filter change intervals compared to other oil brands severe service extended intervals? Can he release the data publicly so it can be scrutinized by other oil company experts like AMSOIL's claims and data are? Please provide along with the Project Farm 4 ball test and Dawn dishwashing liquid 4 ball test results that outperformed motor oil that you mentioned earlier.

AMSOIL has their 100% synthetic OE and XL oils for those customers that demand API certification. Signature Series is not API certified for the reasons you listed above. Exxon ran out of some of their synthetic base oils during a hurricane event. They were under contract to supply AMSOIL and other companies before they could use them theirselves. As a result, they released a Mobil 1 product that did not meet label requirements and were caught. Other major oil companies have also not met the specifications listed on their labels. Some API certified oils tested off the shelf did not meet their label specifications.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why do ppl argue over this? Just use what you feel is better! ....makes zero difference to your vehicles engine, if others agree with your opinion or not! there are plenty good oils out there. Despite what others feel is best, the upside is.... Your engine will still receive the lubricant YOU feel is BEST!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Maybe this will help.
"How about engine cleanliness? A clean engine is a more efficient, longer-lasting engine. And, after pouring your time and hard-earned money into your vehicle, you expect it to last.

An oil’s total base number (TBN) is a measure of its ability to neutralize harmful acids that lead to engine deposits. When we pit AMSOIL vs Mobil 1 in TBN testing, AMSOIL delivers 28% more acid-neutralizing power than Mobil 1 to help your engine stay cleaner, longer." From https://blog.amsoil.com/amsoil-vs-m...8e8d4b-c91d-e911-9102-005056acc85a&zo=1181889
Let’s just be really really clear here. You can quote this marketing BS until the cows come home And it is utterly non-persuasive.

Answer me these questions:

1) Are you, as a dealer for Amsoil making the claim that (in this case) the use of Mobil 1 will hurt a vehicle’s engine because Mobil 1 doesn’t neutralize acid properly?
2) are you as a dealer for Amsoil telling me that using Amsoil is going to actually extend the working life of my engine more than all other premium synthetic oils?

no marketing BS please. The answers above can be answered by you as either : “Yes” or ‘no“ or “I don’t know”.

you should consider that the marketers at Amsoil have likely spent many days with Amsoil lawyers crafting their marketing message that you continue to quote.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Not to get into a tree marking contest, but a few thoughts:

1. If you are not running extended OCIs (and I would not with either the 3.6 or 2.0), then Amsoil is a waste of money. It is meant for 20K+ OCIs and does nothing better than any quality full synthetic oil will for short ones.
2. In the real world, it is very difficult to state that one oil is better than another and even more difficult to prove--especially when anecdotally any oil that meets specifications will typically allow the engine to outlast the chassis.
3. Project Farm is good entertainment, but is nothing more than that. 4 ball tests in no way simulate engine environmental conditions--Dawn dishwashing liquid will perform as well as motor oil in that test, but we know what would happen if used in an engine.
4. The quality of air filter plays a significant part in engine cleanliness and durability versus oil and oil filters.
5. Choose any oil that meets specifications and rest easy in your choice, your engine will be fine.
At what mileage do YOU change your oil? Thanks!

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s just be really really clear here. You can quote this marketing BS until the cows come home And it is utterly non-persuasive.

1) Are you, as a dealer for Amsoil making the claim that (in this case) the use of Mobil 1 will hurt my engine because Mobil 1 doesn’t neutralize acid properly?
2) are you as a dealer for Amsoil telling me that using Amsoil is going to actually extend the working life of my engine more than all other premium synthetic oils?

no marketing BS please. The answers above can be answered by you as either : “Yes” or ‘no“ or “I don’t know”.

you should consider that the marketers at Amsoil have likely spent many days with Amsoil lawyers crafting their marketing message that you continue to quote.
The Spamsoil troll must be back. Nearly every post is about Amsoil, none about Jeeps. I have him on permanent phuque off, so I don't have to read his drivel and deflection. He should head over to BITOG and spread his propaganda there.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Why do ppl argue over this? Just use what you feel is better! ....makes zero difference to your vehicles engine, if others agree with your opinion or not! there are plenty good oils out there. Despite what others feel is best, the upside is.... Your engine will still receive the lubricant YOU feel is BEST!
Agreed.

I am oil agnostic. I believe that a good quality synthetic meeting the specs provided by the auto maker Is exactly enough.

the issue here is that one poster on this board who has a business based on selling Amsoil is pushing a bunch of marketing BS to convince folks to use it.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1) Are you, as a dealer for Amsoil making the claim that (in this case) the use of Mobil 1 will hurt my engine because Mobil 1 doesn’t neutralize acid properly?

1. Mobil 1 recommends following the owners manual while under factory warranty, and under severe service, because that is how their oil is formulated and warranted. AMSOIL offers the extra acid neutralization because they recommend/warranty extended oil change intervals in and out of factory warranty and for extended severe service intervals.

2. It depends on how long you keep your engine and your individual maintenance schedule. For high mileage engines running extended oil and filter intervals, yes. For low mileage engines running 3,000 mile/3 month oil and filter change intervals, probably not.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Spamsoil troll must be back. Nearly every post is about Amsoil, none about Jeeps. I have him on permanent phuque off, so I don't have to read his drivel and deflection. He should head over to BITOG and spread his propaganda there.
I'm just answering questions and challenges like the one you gave to all. I'm still waiting for your claimed Project Farm 4 ball testing and Dawn dishwashing liquid test that performed as well as motor oil. Are you providing proof of your claims or not?
Sponsored