3.0L Diesel Dyno

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Almost 1900lbs its a 2019 Nucamp T@B 320 Boondock Edge we love it. If any of you guys want to keep up with all the stuff I’ll be throwing at it or updates on reviews parts or our prep for Moab and adventures go look at our Instagram @buttercup_ecodiesel
Diesel Jeep definitely make sense for your plan. I will be watching your progress.
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I have 2 JKs with 3.6l and just got my new JLUR ecodiesel I assure you you can feel the torque from the diesel add my 38s beads and all the stuff I have on my JKs and this Diesel will stomp a whole in my 4 door JK maybe not our 2 door but it has 5.13 gears and will dam near pop a wheelie with the long travel it has.
Well that's good because I never said you can't feel the torque. If you read what I wrote, I was talking about how the torque falls off more in the RPM range compared to the PUG, which by the way is not the same engine in your JK.

But now I'm interested in seeing your JK almost pop a wheelie. Any videos?

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
After a week with my ecodiesel I have to agree it would destroy my jk on 37's. I have driven a new 3.6 on extended test drives, and have a 2016 grand cherokee with the 3.6 and 8 speed. The newer 3.6 with the 8 speed is a def improvement over the 5 sp, but you still notice the 8 speed down shifting constantly going up slight grades and in head winds. The ecodiesel just keeps chugging along dosent even phase it. I can only imagine with a lift and larger tires it will have an even bigger advantage.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So, look at that torque curve, or lack thereof, from 1,400 RPM to 2,800 RPM. That's not natural. Obviously Jeep is artificially capping the torque there. The Ram version of the engine, despite making the same horsepower, doesn't have a torque plateau like that.

So my question is, WHAT is Jeep doing in the software to make the torque number hit the ceiling like that? Is it a simple turbo boost limitation? OR are they dialing back fuel, etc. to hold it steady at 442 lb/ft?

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So, look at that torque curve, or lack thereof, from 1,400 RPM to 2,800 RPM. That's not natural. Obviously Jeep is artificially capping the torque there. The Ram version of the engine, despite making the same horsepower, doesn't have a torque plateau like that.

So my question is, WHAT is Jeep doing in the software to make the torque number hit the ceiling like that? Is it a simple turbo boost limitation? OR are they dialing back fuel, etc. to hold it steady at 442 lb/ft?
Not sure about the tuning, but 442 lb-ft is almost exactly 600 Nm, which I doubt is a coincidence. There's probably some component somewhere that has the 600 Nm limitation. The 2.0 is the same way: 295 lb-ft is almost exactly 400 Nm. These are likely artificial limits set probably to protect from damage.

More 3.0 torque curves: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-0-torque-curves.62939/#post-1340436

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

One likely explanation is that its related to heat generation. Making power builds heat. The Jeep isn't as good at dissipating heat as the Ram, mostly because of air flow limitations in the Jeep grille.

Limit the power the engine makes and you limit the heat it generates.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Yeah I fully understand WHY they capped the torque in the Jeep. What I'm asking is HOW. I guess it either has to be air or fuel, so I'm guessing it's a boost pressure limit, or they're cutting the fuel to maintain that 442 lb/ft.

And, 442 is a weird number, so I'm sure it's just the point where they reached their heat target during internal testing.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I would bet it's both boost and fuel limits. If you just limit fuel you'll run lean and that's bad. So I'd suspect it's limiting boost (and the fuel to match) to cap power.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
And, 442 is a weird number, so I'm sure it's just the point where they reached their heat target during internal testing.
It's an even number when you convert to Nm (newton-meters), as is the 2.0.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Got this from GDE this morning, I'm hoping they will be able to figure out the HOW and address it with their upcoming tune:

"It is looking like this fall at the present time. Emissions work on the Ram is close to being done, then we have to port everything over to the JL/JT.

Because the Jeeps are heavily torque limited in the early gears it isn’t clear how much we can crank up the torque. Your advertised 442lb-ft of torque is only available in certain gears, and then only if you’re in manual mode."

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Got this from GDE this morning, I'm hoping they will be able to figure out the HOW and address it with their upcoming tune:

"It is looking like this fall at the present time. Emissions work on the Ram is close to being done, then we have to port everything over to the JL/JT.

Because the Jeeps are heavily torque limited in the early gears it isn’t clear how much we can crank up the torque. Your advertised 442lb-ft of torque is only available in certain gears, and then only if you’re in manual mode."
The only difference is the axle. Why would they derate it that bad because of the axle? It's not like the AdvanTek D44 is weak.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would bet it's both boost and fuel limits. If you just limit fuel you'll run lean and that's bad. So I'd suspect it's limiting boost (and the fuel to match) to cap power.
What he said.
Even if there was excessive heat, it could still make bigger numbers, it just wouldnt be as good for the engine.
Fix it with a better radiator, better intercooler, vented fenders and hood.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Here's the funny thing. I just went from 18,000 miles in the Ram (480 lb/ft) straight into the Jeep. The Jeep doesn't feel slower at all and it doesn't feel weaker towing at all. In fact, it actually feels just slightly stronger.

Now, there is somewhere around 300 lbs less weight with the Gladiator. But 300 lbs isn't all that much really. That's like one really big buddy.

So I'm wondering if the Ram has major torque management in the tuning. If it's true the Jeep isn't making 442 except in higher gears using manual shifting, then the Ram has to really be detuned down low too, because it's no stronger than this Jeep.
Sponsored