OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Look on the 4WD indicator on your instrument cluster (next to the tachometer) and/or your 4WD shifter. If there is a 4H Auto next to 4H Part-Time, that means you have Selec-Trac, which comes with a 4WD mode that can be used all the time —well, excluding the trail.

1603114937116.png

1603114974409.jpeg

If they look like this, then your Sahara has Command-Trac, in which case you need to observe the recommendations listed by others above.
1603115528765.jpeg

1603115182723.jpeg

Good luck!
Mine looks like the bottom images so no auto then. Thank you for your helpful comment!
Sponsored

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
fully noted. Far from an aggressive driver. Especially in snow soI would be driving what the road conditions will allow me. So that I know, 4H is better tractionsI’m snow, ice driving normal but doesn’t mean braking will be any better. Can I still drive in 2H on snow?
Sure you can drive in 2H in snow; many of us did it for decades. On standard roadways, $H will let you get moving better from stoplights, etc. And, you can always look at 4H/4L as escape measures if you get stuck in snow in 2H; if you are already in 4 and get stuck, then, well.....you are likely going to need help to get extracted:blush:

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Sure you can drive in 2H in snow; many of us did it for decades. On standard roadways, $H will let you get moving better from stoplights, etc. And, you can always look at 4H/4L as escape measures if you get stuck in snow in 2H; if you are already in 4 and get stuck, then, well.....you are likely going to need help to get extracted:blush:
Certainly hope that won’t be the case lol thank you!

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
4H is good for temporary use only. I have to switch to 4H during rain as car has trouble to start from stop going uphill, it just spins rear wheels and fishtailing constantly. Once in 4H - it is good, but you may get some wheel "jumping" during sharp turns, like u-turn on narrow road. Not as smooth as AWD vehicles in those situations.

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Your Jeep came with an Owner’s Manual. It’s a book. You know, that thing with layers of stacked paper glued together on one edge. It has words that will explain this topic.
:ontheloo:Choose your reading area....
There's absolutely no need to be an asshole about it. Maybe he did, maybe he still wanted details or specifics?

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

4H is good for temporary use only. I have to switch to 4H during rain as car has trouble to start from stop going uphill, it just spins rear wheels and fishtailing constantly. Once in 4H - it is good, but you may get some wheel "jumping" during sharp turns, like u-turn on narrow road. Not as smooth as AWD vehicles in those situations.
That's really odd behaviour; between hill assist and traction control, you should have no issue going up a hill in wet weather. Maybe don't put some much skinny pedal into it?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There's absolutely no need to be an asshole about it. Maybe he did, maybe he still wanted details or specifics?
I bought mine used. Used cars typically don't come with manuals, that's the first thing that the previous owner throws away when their crap won't fit in the glove box.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
thanks. I actually did read that section but I still felt unsure and wanted other Jeep owners opinion. Didn’t feel the need to explain myself to his comment. I knew being new to this forum I was going to get at least snob comment and I did lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Also you have the Sahara, doesnt that come with 4W auto? look for a video on that. to make a long story short you can keep it in that mode but you will consume a little more gas.
It’s an option on the Sahara, not all of them have it.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Shifting into 4L for the first time is scary. You’ll literally feel like you’re going to break the shift lever, you have to do it so hard. But rest assured it will go in. After that first time, it’s much easier (That’s what she said )
If you do so as per the manual it is smooth:
Drop to a speed of 5kph - 8kph
Transfer case to neutral
Gear lever to neutral
Transfer case to 4WL
Gear lever to Drive

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you do so as per the manual it is smooth:
Drop to a speed of 5kph - 8kph
Transfer case to neutral
Gear lever to neutral
Transfer case to 4WL
Gear lever to Drive
Yeah, it's smooth"ish", but that first time if you've never done the 4wd thing before it won't seem that way. My first time way back w/ my CJs 40+yrs ago, now that was a chore :)
Even the current JL is a bit of a fight that first time, nothing like turning the dial in my 4Runner lol.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The handling characteristics on a dirt road are significantly different between 2H and 4H. The Jeep will probably feel sketchy as hell in 2H, but will feel significantly more stable with more control in 4H.

I usually drop my JLUR into 4H when I leave pavement, especially as I approach my house (which is off of a steep dirt road) so I don't chew it up by spinning the rears.

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
All snarky “mall-crawler” jokes/shenanigans aside...my understanding is that owners should place it in 4H/4L and drive in the dirt to keep the system “moving” and keep it from atrophying?

My previous vehicles were full-time AWD and thus I never had to periodically cycle through drivetrain options.

I’m in NV and most of the trails I’ve been through have been 4H. Work has also been nuts (thanks COVID) (but counting my blessings that I’m still employed) and I haven’t been able to go off road in months.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

All snarky “mall-crawler” jokes/shenanigans aside...my understanding is that owners should place it in 4H/4L and drive in the dirt to keep the system “moving” and keep it from atrophying?

My previous vehicles were full-time AWD and thus I never had to periodically cycle through drivetrain options.

I’m in NV and most of the trails I’ve been through have been 4H. Work has also been nuts (thanks COVID) (but counting my blessings that I’m still employed) and I haven’t been able to go off road in months.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Not so much atrophying, but to ensure seals, gears, etc. remain lubricated and don’t bind when you really need them. I run a backroad every week and throw it in 4H at least twice for a kilometre or so. One section I “need” the 4H. The intersection is at the bottom of three hills and is a crazy washboard. 4H helps keep the traction planted. Once a month I’ll throw it into 4L for a stretch on an abandoned road as well.

The more you use the system, the easier it is to enter and exit 4H/4L.
Sponsored

Last edited: