2H vs 4H

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Can someone explain to me when 4H would be used? I was told only in snow but how much of snow? what about rain? Heavy rain or if there’s flooding? Ice? It’s my first Jeep and I just want to make sure I understand this setting before winter hits.
Also, would winter tires be needed? I have the regular stock tires. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Can someone explain to me when 4H would be used? I was told only in snow but how much of snow? what about rain? Heavy rain or if there’s flooding? Ice? It’s my first Jeep and I just want to make sure I understand this setting before winter hits.
Also, would winter tires be needed? I have the regular stock tires. Thanks in advance.
In 4H (four-wheel drive, high range) all four wheels are driving your vehicle. ... In 4L (four-wheel drive, low range), all four wheels are driving your vehicle and a low gear ratio is being used. Your vehicle's wheels will turn much more slowly than they would in high range, so slower speeds and more torque are the go.

4H:
This position is used for normal speed driving but for when you need a little bit extra traction like on dirt roads, hard packed sand or slick/snowy/icy roads. Your front wheels and tires will aid in traction to make your vehicle more stable on loose surfaces.

4L:
This position is used for when you need maximum traction and maximum power at slower speeds such as rocky surfaces, deep mud or snow, steep or sharp inclines/declines, etc. Your front and rear wheels are driven in low range using a lower gear ratio, which results in slower road speed and higher torque. This provides your vehicle with better engine braking and allows for easier control.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also don't assume running in 4hi that you can drive aggressive in hazardous conditions, you'll "typically" be more sure-footed, but 4 sliding tires without sufficient traction can be even worse than 2 in some cases.

Since you're new to all this just take the side of caution when trying 4wd until you get a comfortable feel for how it behaves. Best to get your time in on some dirt roads prior to your first ice-storm.

Also keep your tires inflated to what your door sticker says, even a little less, overinflated tires in situations w/ less traction will be even more unstable.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
What he said. 4 H will give more traction during acceleration and driving, BUT NO additional traction when braking. That’s one reason you see so many 4x4’s get in trouble on icy/snowy roads. If the road is slick and you put it in 4Hi and then drive it like it was a 2wd you can go anywhere. If you think “gee, I‘ve got more traction and then add another 20 mph or so you’ll be the guy sitting in the median or off on the shoulder who has no idea what happened. Used to live in Mi and Iowa and saw it ALL the time. I’d be runnning along it my TJ in 4H driving at a comfortable speed on ice or snow and some yahoo in a 4 WD pickup would go sailing past. A few miles later down the road and there he‘d be, off road and stuck. My little TJ pulled more than one 4 wheeler out of the median or off of the shoulder

Sponsored

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Also you have the Sahara, doesnt that come with 4W auto? look for a video on that. to make a long story short you can keep it in that mode but you will consume a little more gas.
I’m not sure I’ll have to look it up. The guy at the dealership didn’t show anythung about 4w auto

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
What he said. 4 H will give more traction during acceleration and driving, BUT NO additional traction when braking. That’s one reason you see so many 4x4’s get in trouble on icy/snowy roads. If the road is slick and you put it in 4Hi and then drive it like it was a 2wd you can go anywhere. If you think “gee, I‘ve got more traction and then add another 20 mph or so you’ll be the guy sitting in the median or off on the shoulder who has no idea what happened. Used to live in Mi and Iowa and saw it ALL the time. I’d be runnning along it my TJ in 4H driving at a comfortable speed on ice or snow and some yahoo in a 4 WD pickup would go sailing past. A few miles later down the road and there he‘d be, off road and stuck. My little TJ pulled more than one 4 wheeler out of the median or off of the shoulder
fully noted. Far from an aggressive driver. Especially in snow soI would be driving what the road conditions will allow me. So that I know, 4H is better tractionsI’m snow, ice driving normal but doesn’t mean braking will be any better. Can I still drive in 2H on snow?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
agreed with what everyone have mentioned. as for the snow tire question, theres mix views whether or not snow tires are necessary. so the general consensuses is that those that live in snow country will have snow tires. while others run all terrain tires. so it a judgement call. however, i'm running the stock michilins (but will be replacing them with a/t) from the factory and they do pretty good in the snow and ice. i've commuted home from work in a snow storm without running 4 wheel drive and stock tires. no issues even on unplowed roads. i've only shifted to 4 hi just to get thru the snow mound on the end of the driveway were i got stuck. i drove in ice storm one time when every vehicle i passed spun off the road. i was in 2 hi and puttered right thru. the key thing to remember is to drive slow and be in control of the jeep. you will be amazed how well the jeep can handle in any weather. even in 2 hi.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
For me, 4H and 4L are equally important.

Lets say i am headed to a camp site somewhere in the woods, once i leave the highway and get on a dirt road, thats when i shift to 4H, if it gets technical, i would disconnect the sway bars, then as i get closer to the remote campsite, typically ill face harsh terrain/obstacles.. Thats when i shift to 4L!

But thats in a Rubicon.. In a Sahara, to my understanding is that all this happens automatically? Sort of like a Toyota Landcruiser.. Or so i gathered..

Either way, get used to your systems and test them out before you actually need them!

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Your Jeep came with an Owner’s Manual. It’s a book. You know, that thing with layers of stacked paper glued together on one edge. It has words that will explain this topic.
:ontheloo:Choose your reading area....
you could’ve kept scrolling through. You sound like a bitch. Thanks for the comment tho.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
One thing to remember after driving in snow. When you're in 4hi on snowy streets remember to take it out of 4hi and go back to 2hi when pulling into a parking garage or driving on dry cleared streets. The 4wd system can bind up on dry pavement/concrete. If you have a sahara with Selec-Trac transfer case you also have 4auto mode which is a fulltime 4wd system and can use in any condition including dry pavement/cement.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
I'd suggest finding either a dirt lot now or a empty parking lot once it snows and just go to town. Put it in 2X and spin the tires, turns etc. See how it handles, do the the same in 4X. No need for excessive speed, just break traction a bit and have fun with it.

That's how i learned when I was about 15 anyway.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
One thing to remember after driving in snow. When you're in 4hi on snowy streets remember to take it out of 4hi and go back to 2hi when pulling into a parking garage or driving on dry cleared streets. The 4wd system can bind up on dry pavement/concrete. If you have a sahara with Selec-Trac transfer case you also have 4auto mode which is a fulltime 4wd system and can use in any condition including dry pavement/cement.
Thanks for the helpful comment!
Sponsored