Sponsored

21 JL first outing, what did i do wrong?

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
In all seriousness - you just bought a $50K + vehicle. For what you're doing, you've basically just turned it into a toy that you're playing with and not knowing what's going on.

Sit down, read the manual. Then read it again. If you have a specific question after or during reading the manual then either look it up on YouTube or ask it here.

I'm all for helping people out, but I shake my head at people who pay all this money and then just start pressing buttons and pulling levers.
My prerogative wouldn't you say?, and it was 65k
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I didn't say read it to learn to offroad. I said to read it to figure out what all the shiny bells and whistles are for rather than going at it like a 13 year old ADHD kid in an elevator.
I made a joke about pushing buttons, no need to be a dick about it. But alas , that is internet forums for you. Im on a bunch of them and im not surprised in the slightest that my post drove someone like you out of the woodwork.

And you are right about one thing, it is a toy.
Why else do you buy a jeep? its a toy. I have 30 years of off-road experience on 2 wheels. Beleive me, i know how to pick a line.

But at the end of the day, its just that a toy. And its parked next to my other toy, My Porsche GTS in the garage. Sorry for your deep rooted issues that cause you to shit on other peoples days for fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The introduction of the Rubicon model really spoiled the off-roading sport.
Before the Rubicon became available lockers were a rarity which led to those that had them not only knew how to drive off-road they knew when and where to use them.
Also, back then a newbie was limited by the Jeeps ability, ie while attempting a tough obstacle the Jeep would give up traction before the driver ran out of talent but with the introduction of the Rubicon model the opposite has become true.
We see that example regularly, newbie in a Rubicon trying an obstacle and finding him/herself in trouble but instead of the Jeep losing traction, it continues until it’s on it’s lid. The famous American Jeeper video was a good example of that.

I’m sure my opinion won’t be popular but it is what it is.
Ah here we go, i expected this.
Another "get out my sandbox " the toys are all mine person coupled with the assumption i have no off-road experience of skill!

You know, i can relate, because as a life long dirtbiker, i am sick and tired of dipshits in RZR's tearing shit up in the trails, not respecting the trails, driving around with a 30 pack of budlight in the cooler driving like maniacs. And you know what, I hate them all, so i got out of the game after 30 years.

Now i come to jeep land and its the same thing only im the unwelcome new guy who doesn't have a clue right? And I must be a jackass because i was screwing around with something that i just paid my money for, MY money, not yours, MINE

So no surprise that you dont like new comers. But i assure you, im not the type to end up "on my lid" because i have respect for things despite my joke about pushing buttons.
But hey, whatever makes you happy. if shitting on me does it for you, cool, who am i to stop you from being happy. Just dont project your shit onto me.

Here is a certainty for you to just get over.
New people buy Rubicon's everyday!! Tuff shit, get over it. There are millions of them on the road and you are just gonna have to share your toys.
Secondly, No matter how much i complain about morons in RZR's, its not going to change the fact that more and more are sold every day and it is not going to stop the idiot parents from letting the 12 year old drive the 2000 pound 200 horspower turbo rzr into the front of my jeep some day in a trail.

So feel free to do what i did about dirtbiking. Get out of the game. Go do something else. Because those two things above are not gonna change and you can be as pissed at the world about it as you want.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL 21 JL first outing, what did i do wrong? 1620088660333

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Yep, shocker right? That is the internet forums for you. But seriously, thanks to everyone that added something useful. Really appreciated the comments from those guys and gals!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep, shocker right? That is the internet forums for you. But seriously, thanks to everyone that added something useful. Really appreciated the comments from those guys and gals!
At least you didn't get to the point where damage to anything occurred, and yeah 4LO can be a chore to get locked in when everything's new.
FWIW since I have a Sport I wish I had a few extra buttons to engage :)

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Another "get out my sandbox " the toys are all mine person coupled with the assumption i have no off-road experience of skill!

You know, i can relate, because as a life long dirtbiker, i am sick and tired of dipshits in RZR's tearing shit up in the trails, not respecting the trails, driving around with a 30 pack of budlight in the cooler driving like maniacs. And you know what, I hate them all, so i got out of the game after 30 years.

Now i come to jeep land and its the same thing only im the unwelcome new guy who doesn't have a clue right? And I must be a jackass because i was screwing around with something that i just paid my money for, MY money, not yours, MINE

So no surprise that you dont like new comers. But i assure you, im not the type to end up "on my lid" because i have respect for things despite my joke about pushing buttons.
But hey, whatever makes you happy. if shitting on me does it for you, cool, who am i to stop you from being happy. Just dont project your shit onto me.

New people buy Rubicon's everyday!! Tuff shit, get over it. There are millions of them on the road and you are just gonna have to share your toys.
Secondly, No matter how much i complain about morons in RZR's, its not going to change the fact that more and more are sold every day and it is not going to stop the idiot parents from letting the 12 year old drive the 2000 pound 200 horspower turbo rzr into the front of my jeep some day in a trail.

So feel free to do what i did about dirtbiking. Get out of the game. Go do something else. Because those two things above are not gonna change and you can be as pissed at the world about it as you want.
Nobody‘s shitting on you or said you're not welcome here or on the trails.

I would expect the exact same results if I posted on a dirt bike forum about me buying a brand new KTM 450 SF-X as my very first dirtbike and wondering why it does the things it does and how come I find it difficult to ride.

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
At least you didn't get to the point where damage to anything occurred, and yeah 4LO can be a chore to get locked in when everything's new.
FWIW since I have a Sport I wish I had a few extra buttons to engage :)
Buttons are good!!! Swing by my house we can install a few for you! i have plenty to go around! :LOL:
Just dont tell the guy above im sharing my buttons! You might get scolded for playing with yours toys

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
Make a checklist of skills and concentrate on one at a time. I got my first JLRU in January and for the first month that is all I did in a local empty parking lot. I might have looked funny crawling in 4Lo but now I'm 100% comfortable with the features of my Jeep. Only then did I take it to the dirt.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hey, everyone's gotta cool their jets. There's a lot of good information on this forum, and there's also a lot of preconceived notions just waiting to vent. Sometimes (often) it's hit or miss with responses, but a thick skin is everybody's friend.

I'd say, keep playing with the jeep for a while and get a feel for it; each one is unique, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You've more torque than most people on here, so there's going to be some dissonance.

Some people are book-wise, some street-wise, some off-street wise. Gotta set up your own filter and screen what comes at you. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt, even things you think you believe in already.

Except for mechanics, physics, and the rest of the hard sciences. That shit is set in stone.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Ok so i took my jeep rubicon on its first outing on saturday.
Mind you im new to jeeps and wheelin.
Jeep is a totally stock JL Diesel rubicon

I tried 4 wheel low with lockers on for kicks. Wow did it make a racket. Is that normal?

The other thing i notices was, wow i had like zero brakes. Why did i all of a sudden have a mushy brake pedal? This was a very mild trail.

I also tried the 4X4 offroad cruise control, wow that thing is strange as hell. The jeep made even more groans and noise with that on.

The other thing that happened was, i noticed it popped out of 4 wheel drive twice and kicked itself into neutral.

What the hell did i do wrong?
1 Should not make very much racket with lockers on - ours is relatively quiet

2 Mushy brake pedal is odd - ours is never mushy

3 4x4 cruise groan noise is each brake pulsating - normal

4 4WD popping out to neutral is odd - ours never jumps out

My guess is that you did not fully engage into 4Lo. You do need to slam the shift lever very firmly back and the knob should be pretty close to touching your driver seat bolster.

Anyways try a few more times and it should shift easier and easier. We can be at a dead stop now and the 4Lo gears mesh together no problem. At first you do need to roll a bit. But have fun with it. In 4x4 cruise at min spd our V6 idles down and up steep inclines. That was quite an eye opener.

Enjoy your JLUR toy. The thing is a full-on beast with lockers on. Tons of fun.

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Make a checklist of skills and concentrate on one at a time. I got my first JLRU in January and for the first month that is all I did in a local empty parking lot. I might have looked funny crawling in 4Lo but now I'm 100% comfortable with the features of my Jeep. Only then did I take it to the dirt.
Fair advice, nothing wrong with practice. Im a pilot, i do that all the time in my airplane! We call it hangar flying!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyways try a few more times and it should shift easier and easier. We can be at a dead stop now and the 4Lo gears mesh together no problem. At first you do need to roll a bit.
This^^^, especially being completely new to 4x4 operation, you end up thinking the damn thing is broken, but it's just letting you know who's really the boss!

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

I get what you are saying but I think that one of the points on the other side is that with the amount of tech that they are packing in the new Jeeps, it gives many of the newbies a false sense of confidence and reliance on that tech. The problem comes when that false sense of confidence gets someone to try something that is well beyond their ability and they put themselves in a bad position. This is going to be the same thing with the new Broncos and its only going to get worse now that the tech race is going to pick up speed. I'm glad that I cut my teeth on a very plain TJ X with 31s and open diffs since it taught me not to rely on those extras. Also, with the experience that I gained, I learned not only what mods I want to choose this time around but also why.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon