2018 jl 3.6 sludge in engine?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
i am still baffled that you had a head gasket failure at 41k. Definitely sounds like a warrantable item to me.

and don’t let them kid you. Oil changes have nothing to do with a head gasket failure.
It’s not exactly baffling, he had a coolant leak and drove it hot. I’d bet the radiator was leaking.
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It’s not exactly baffling, he had a coolant leak and drove it hot. I’d bet the radiator was leaking.
Yep. I’ve got about 32k on mine and had to replace the radiator a couple of weeks ago. It’s a common issue apparently.

OP
OP
Jl-Family

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
I seem to recall seeing head gasket coolant leak related engine issue discussions on the gladiator forums, you might want to look there for information.
I’ll look into it thanks !

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
This is horse 💩

Immediately fight it. They probably already reported it to Jeep / Stellantis. They are going entirely based on the maintenance history in the carfax / vehicle history report. It's so obvious they pulled that up to see the maintenance and didn't see anything there. They made an assumption that you didn't do any maintenance. They don't have proof that you did or didn't do it. It is not a warranty requirement to document to the maintenance history report.

Last edited:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
All they have to do is send the oil off to have it analyzed, and they will know it's been changed. Regardless you should NEVER wait for the oil life monitor. I wouldn't go over 5,000 miles, but I do every 3,000.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jl-Family

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
My radiator does not have a leak. And I did not drive it hot
This is horse 💩

Immediately fight it. They probably already reported it to Jeep / Stellantis. They are going entirely based on the maintenance history in the carfax / vehicle history report. It's so obvious they pulled that up to see the maintenance and didn't see anything there. They made an assumption that you didn't do any maintenance. They don't have proof that you if you did or didn't do it. It is not a warranty requirement to document to the history report.
i called Chrysler corporation to file a claim with them , even the guy taking my claim was baffled that they were giving me a hard time over it so I’ll keep my fingers crossed and keep you guys updated .

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
Yea now I wish I save receipts . I looked into autozone and I can only go back 3 months to get receipts . I’m going to see if they can help me further .
I can only speak as a Nissan dealer, but you may run into some issues trying to get something fixed under warranty without documentation showing that the maintenance was done at the regularly scheduled intervals. IF that's why they say the problem is arising. Try another dealer and see if they diagnose the same issue then go from there

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
i called Chrysler corporation to file a claim with them , even the guy taking my claim was baffled that they were giving me a hard time over it so I’ll keep my fingers crossed and keep you guys updated .
What proof do they have that you "didnt" do the maintenance?

Did they take the engine apart.? Send the oil/ coolant for analysis? Lol
Of course they would look at you with a blank stare.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I can only speak as a Nissan dealer, but you may run into some issues trying to get something fixed under warranty without documentation showing that the maintenance was done at the regularly scheduled intervals. IF that's why they say the problem is arising. Try another dealer and see if they diagnose the same issue then go from there
Is that mentioned in the owners manual? I actually read my owners manuals on my cars. I've never read that as a requirement for warranty. Unless I missed it somewhere else.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque

Sponsored

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Is that mentioned in the owners manual? I actually read my owners manuals on my cars. I've never read that as a requirement for warranty. Unless I missed it somewhere else.
It would appear nobody here reads their manuals. I guess they’re all experts and have spent countless hours in the chemical and test labs destructive testing and performing metallurgical analysis so they are more than qualified to kick the OP in the sack for following the manual.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
It would appear nobody here reads their manuals. I guess they’re all experts and have spent countless hours in the chemical and test labs destructive testing and performing metallurgical analysis so they are more than qualified to kick the OP in the sack for following the manual.
I tell everyone to follow the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals in the owners manual. Assuming that's what OP did he shouldn't have issues. The issue may arise if he can't produce documents showing that he did the maintenance. Then it's a long frustrating road to get the claim done

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I’m in souther California the Jeep is at moss brother dealer in Riverside CA . I’m not sure how far into it they have gotten I’m going over there today .
When you go over, bring some documentation of your oil changes. Receipts for oil or filters. If you don't have them, go to where you bought your oil last and ask for a receipt reprint, all they usually need is a date of purchase and name.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I just read it. It does not state that it must be required to document anything. It is entirely on their dime to prove that it was in fact neglected and was not properly maintained. Which they haven't done.

They would need to take the engine apart. Document engine wear, oil analysis, coolant analysis, head gasket analysis, document every procedure. Which would probably end up costing more than just replacing the engine or needing to replace the engine anyway.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
I just read it. It does not state that it must be required to document anything. It is entirely on their dime to prove that it was in fact neglected and was not properly maintained. Which they haven't done.

They would need to take the engine apart. Document engine wear, oil analysis, coolant analysis, head gasket analysis, document every procedure. Which would probably end up costing more than just replacing the engine or needing to replace the engine anyway.
Page 28 Section 10 "FCA US LLC will require you to provide proof that your vehicle was properly maintained."

I'm not trying to be a dick for OP just preparing him for what the steps the dealer will follow for a warranty claim
Sponsored