2018 jl 3.6 sludge in engine?

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Good info for sure. I wonder how many customers are bringing their Wranglers back after the dealer pumps the 3.6 overfull of cheap bulk Walmart Rotella that's not approved?
If a dealer does it, it’s on them. We aren’t afforded the same protections :(
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
It's too bad that no matter what we say or any proof we show, there are consumers that are going to embrace marketing and EPA bologna printed in the manual instead.

These oil life monitors are a joke. I have forgotten to reset mine and it comes on after my third oil change and over 9,000 miles. No way am I going to trust that.

I do my oil changes and lube chassis every 3,000 miles and visually check under the hood at every fill up. Also annual to biannual brake fluid, power steering, coolant, and diff fluid changes.
What exactly are you lubing on the chassis every 3,000 miles?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I call BS, maybe the dealer is disclaiming the warranty because FCA/Stellantis won't pay for it because the Jeep doesn't need a new engine. Have them show you the evidence of "sludge" in the engine. If you can't get FCA or the dealer to budge, then go to a local mechanic with a good reputation.

The term "a new engine" is a bit of BS for a bad head gasket. If you spun a bearing, that would be different story.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It doesn’t really matter what anybody says here. Anonymous people online mean nothing. The service writer at the dealership and what’s written on paper. I would not listen to any anonymous people online who will not be there when you need them. Read your owners manual. Call FCA. Send an email to mobile 1. Get everything in writing. That’s what a smart person would do when dealing with such a large investment. What your research will find is jeep specifies MS 6395 which mobile one does not meet. PERIOD

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone , I was wondering if anyone else had sludge in their engine ? I’m asking because my jl gave me a cel for misfire in cylinder 4 I took the Jeep to my mechanic thinking it was a bad coil pack or injector he told me he thinks it’s a bad head gasket so I took it to the dealer for that , it has 41,000 miles . The dealer told me they found sludge in the engine and that it was due to lack of maintenance but that’s bs because I did the oil changes myself when ever the Jeep notified me to do it . I told them the sludge would be from a faulty head gasket . They are saying the engine needs to be replaced at my cost .
Sounds like dealer BS.

Whatever oil, I think you are right that it would be the faulty head gasket. These things aren't hard on oil and any 0w20 that is API SN, SN+, or SP or Dexos 1 Gen 2 is going to do well even up to 10k. You'd have to run some generic crap found at Family Dollar or a crappy gas station that has no API rating to do that in this engine within 10k.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Remember The four-cylinder and the six cylinder have different oil requirements.
This is from the owners manual 3.6
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 jl 3.6 sludge in engine? D524CB46-080B-4981-9AA0-4013F63B5BDF

Mobile 1 does not meet that specification.
Does it matter? I don’t know. But that’s a great excuse they can use for not paying for a new motor.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like dealer BS.

Whatever oil, I think you are right that it would be the faulty head gasket. These things aren't hard on oil and any 0w20 that is API SN, SN+, or SP or Dexos 1 Gen 2 is going to do well even up to 10k. You'd have to run some generic crap found at Family Dollar or a crappy gas station that has no API rating to do that in this engine within 10k.
It'll be interesting to see if what the dealer pulls from the overhead is actually "MS 6395". I had a Honda dealer who consistently put 10w30 in my Civic when the OEM calls for 5w20 on the two "free oil changes".

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It'll be interesting to see if what the dealer pulls from the overhead is actually "MS 6395". I had a Honda dealer who consistently put 10w30 in my Civic when the OEM calls for 5w20 on the two "free oil changes".
OP needs to get @JeepCares on this. The bad head gasket would compromise the oil with coolant quickly, cause it to break down, and sludge up. These engines are just not sludgers. Hell, if you ran a good brand 0w20 you could probably go 20k before it would oxidize enough to thicken up and begin to sludge. Most 0w20 oils are VERY good and are full synthetics. The only semi-syn I've seen is Pennzoil Gold, and you can't find it anywhere. It's darned good, too, though.

Almost all major brands are now MS6395 rated and if not, would pass that test with ease. Any API SP oil would blow that standard away.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As usual the four-cylinder turbo guys swarm in on a 3.6 thread and spread misinformation. All we need now is the Manual transmission guys To blame his motor problems on his stupid automatic.
I bet the torque converter leaked transmission fluid through the main seal into the engine contaminating the oil and causing sludge.

Feel better now?

Honestly though, I would highly recommend the OP find a new dealer for a 2nd opinion. I figure that is what FCA will tell the OP if the issue is escalated to them.

Sponsored

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Do an oil change, take a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs in Indiana for analysis. It's like a blood test for your engine...it will tell you specifically what metals or liquids are running around in the engine (other than the oil). For example, if your air filter wasn't properly sealed, you might see high levels of silicates (from sand) entering the engine. I do this on every change, and I know that might be too much, but it gives me a provable history of oil analysis so if the engine suddenly croakes, I can pull up all my oil change data and show all was good up until it wasn't. I've attached my latest analysis of my 3.6 Rubi.

Attachments

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI , Mobil 1 is not a Mopar approved oil per the owners manual spec. I Have been forcing myself to use Pennzoil ow-20 Ultra platinum. I wouldn’t tell jeep you were using that oil it might give them an excuse or reason to deny. I’m not saying which oil is better but jeep specifically requires a spec oil like pennzoil.
Yes, it is. When Stellantis took over, FCA's political issue with Mobil 1 came to an end. Mobil 1 is now labeled as meeting MS6395. Of course, it has always blown that standard into the weeds, by a long shot.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
What exactly are you lubing on the chassis every 3,000 miles?
On a Jeep Wrangler JL you have a bunch of lubrication points. Front driveshaft cardan zerk, all upper/lower control arms, track bars, tie rods, and every single moving joint. Most guys consider the OEM non serviceable. But with a needle adapter it's easy once you get the weight off the ground.

On the body you have door hinges, tailgate hinges, hood hinges/latches, freedom panels and top latches, silicone spray all rubber seals around doors/tailgate.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not approved to Chrysler’s bologna spec. You don’t know as much as you think you do.
Yes, he does. Mobil 1 is now MS6395 certified, as I said before. Politics was the only reason it wasn't for a number of years.

Funny, whild FCA wouldn't let Mobil 1 have MS6395 certification, they did let them use it on their lower tier Supersyn oils, which were/are inferior (still good oil) to Mobil 1 oils. That's because they didn't compete with Shell's premium brands, like Pennzoil Platinum, as Mobil 1 does.

My Jeep dealership kept offering Mobil 1 with their premium oil changes in spite of lacking MS6395 labeling.
Sponsored