2.0T Only has ONE battery?

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That is just it, I am not sure. i THOUGHT it did have the little battery but then got conflicting answers.

HERE;

Q: I have a 2019 JLUR with 2.0. Is there a small second battery that I have to remove to install your 2 battery system?
Asked by: The Old Troll - 11/23/2020
A: The 2.0L engine does not have a small aux battery like the 3.6L does. You can skip that part of the installation video.
Was this answer helpful? 1 of 3 Customer(s) found this Answer helpful.
Answer provided by: Mike Heverly (11/23/2020)
In 2019, did all 2.0s come with E-Torque? If so then his reply would have been correct. Once the E-Torque system was removed from the 2.0, they now have the aux battery.

Just my thoughts.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
On my 3.0L diesel, the aux. battery is below the main battery. The main battery is moved back to the front of dash (some folks call it the firewall, but it is not a firewall) and the PDC is moved forward of the main battery.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Only has ONE battery? 20201110_095112

With all the product changes, build combination, variations, etc., it a wonder my Jeep didn't come off the line looking like a Pacer.

Last edited:

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So when they install the Genesis dual battery system , they remove the aux battery and it gets replaced with the top mounted aux battery. Which is a better location.

Also what is the purpose of these extra batteries (aux and 48v e torque)?(I have e torque that why I ask) And which one is required to start the main one or is the main one used to start the engine without the help from the others?
The purpose of these second batteries is to provide all power to required modules and components and all accessories whenever the jeep initiates an engine auto stop. For example when you come to a stop and the engine shuts off. As soon as the engine shuts off, all power within the jeep is provided by this second battery.

edit: in addition, the secondary batteries are what restart the engine at the end of every start/stop sequence. For example, when the red light turns green and you disengage the brake pedal and the engine starts up. The only time the main battery cranks the engine is when you get inside the vehicle and push to start.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
That is just it, I am not sure. i THOUGHT it did have the little battery but then got conflicting answers.

HERE;

Q: I have a 2019 JLUR with 2.0. Is there a small second battery that I have to remove to install your 2 battery system?
Asked by: The Old Troll - 11/23/2020
A: The 2.0L engine does not have a small aux battery like the 3.6L does. You can skip that part of the installation video.
Was this answer helpful? 1 of 3 Customer(s) found this Answer helpful.
Answer provided by: Mike Heverly (11/23/2020)
He's wrong. All 2019 2.0 were eTorque and ALL came with 2 batteries. One 12 volt under the hood and one 48 volt under the chassis. A 12 volt battery is not strong enough to operate an eTorque system since the eTorque has a motor generator to help move the vehicle from a dead stop. That's why the secondary battery on those is 48 volts. The eTorque motor/generator is also used instead of the starter for ess.
Now he's right if he is saying there is only one 12 volt battery on a 2019. But a 2021 (non-eTorque) has 2 12 volt batteries.

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
THANKS EVERYONE for helping clear up the misinformation - THIS forum rocks....

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In 2019, did all 2.0s come with E-Torque? If so then his reply would have been correct. Once the E-Torque system was removed from the 2.0, they now have the aux battery.

Just my thoughts.
I have the 2018 JLR Turbo with e-torque (LOVE IT BTW), So I don't have the Aux battery under the main battery, correct?

Also would the Aux battery be listed in the build/spec sheet for those that don't have e-torque???

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
All of this confusion is due to Jeep changing the engines around

Early on all 2.0Ts had the ETorque. None of the 3.6s had it.

Then in 2020 I think it was only the Sahara 2.0Ts had the ETorque

and now none of the 2.0Ts have it, but all 3.6s do. So confusing all around.

ETorque = no second small battery, + 48V system
Non ETorque = second small aux battery, - 48V system

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
From the specs on jeep.com, the 392 does not have ESS...so it shouldn't have the aux either.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
I have the 2018 JLR Turbo with e-torque (LOVE IT BTW), So I don't have the Aux battery under the main battery, correct?

Also would the Aux battery be listed in the build/spec sheet for those that don't have e-torque???
Yes it’s listed, see my post #34.