Sponsored

2.0-liter four-cylinder engine

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Exactly. The 2.0 provides *the most* clearance. The 392 and Diesel are the worst. The 3.6 in between.

No one here talks about it, but it is a big advantage of the 2.0. Under belly clearance.
The 2.0 without eTorque that is. Well... not that eTorque reduces clearance, just that the battery and (relatively well protected) battery coolant lines are one more thing.
Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Title said 2.0 4cyl. So I just thought I would mention it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
First Jeeps also weighed half as much and didn’t need to go 70+ mph on the highway daily.
They also didn't have any safety requirements and about 75 years of technology advances.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
First Jeeps also weighed half as much and didn’t need to go 70+ mph on the highway daily.
They were also diesels, had low back seats and lap belts, were leaf-sprung, and ran 6" wide tires. I don't see your point.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The 2.0 without eTorque that is. Well... not that eTorque reduces clearance, just that the battery and (relatively well protected) battery coolant lines are one more thing.
Good point. Yes. 2.0 without eTorque has great clearance, simple exhaust and the most high tech engine in FCA's entire line up.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
They were also diesels, had low back seats and lap belts, were leaf-sprung, and ran 6" wide tires. I don't see your point.
I was mostly saying I don’t see the point of saying the first Jeeps were 4cyl. It’s a bigger vehicle now, which gives me a mental hurdle for a 4cyl. But circling back to my post earlier in this thread, I was very impressed with the 2.0 after driving it in the 4dr.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
For me it's not a matter of cylinder count but cylinder orientation - real wranglers have straight blocks.

The original Wrangler was available in a straight 4 or straight 6. The beloved TJ had the straight 6. It was when the original Daimler disaster JK came out that it got a V. The JK later was vastly improved under new management, but in my mind I still bemoan a V6 in the Wrangler from my first JK test drive in 2007.

So I have no problem with a straight 4 in my Wrangler, especially when it is better than any motor I've ever driven a Wrangler with. But if Jeep ever launches the rumored straight 6, then it might be time to upgrade.

Sponsored

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For me it's not a matter of cylinder count but cylinder orientation - real wranglers have straight blocks.

The original Wrangler was available in a straight 4 or straight 6. The beloved TJ had the straight 6. It was when the original Daimler disaster JK came out that it got a V. The JK later was vastly improved under new management, but in my mind I still bemoan a V6 in the Wrangler from my first JK test drive in 2007.

So I have no problem with a straight 4 in my Wrangler, especially when it is better than any motor I've ever driven a Wrangler with. But if Jeep ever launches the rumored straight 6, then it might be time to upgrade.
Agree.

Do you have the eTorque engine? I'm thinking yes, since you have a 2019. Are you OK with that?

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Agree.

Do you have the eTorque engine? I'm thinking yes, since you have a 2019. Are you OK with that?
Yes, the eTorque really works well with the turbo! That electric motor gives it a nice little shove to get started, and by that time, the turbo is doing its thing. It's on the V6 that I question the eTorque's usefulness since the torque curve is flatter.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I had test driven both for a day...dealer knows me, so I got to take home both overnight when I was making my purchase. It was a close comparison, But I did like the 2.0 a bit better. I went with the 2.0 and have been very satisfied. Keep in mind, I do not off road...gas mileage is very good as well.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes, the eTorque really works well with the turbo! That electric motor gives it a nice little shove to get started, and by that time, the turbo is doing its thing. It's on the V6 that I question the eTorque's usefulness since the torque curve is flatter.
Thanks!

I have the I-4 eTorque as well and I was/am impressed with the power and acceleration. I hate underpowered vehicles and the I4 provides that power. It's an impressive engine/system!!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I don't see why everyone obsesses over cylinder count. When excluding sound, to me there are far more important things about a motor... mainly the peak power, torque curve, throttle response, and partial throttle outputs. Reliability, or rather maintainability is the other main issue since just about everything is reliable now. But cylinder count? Meh... unless I'm rebuilding something, and then I would prefer low cylinder count and a single head (which will likely never be an issue with my JL for as long as I own it).
Sponsored