Sponsored

2.0-liter four-cylinder engine

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This 2.0T Fiat/Alfa (yes I know there are differences between the two) is actually a very high budget, incredibly sophisticated engine. For me, the most impressive thing is how they have integrated exhaust cooling before feeding the turbos and again integrated cooling before intake.

The Turbo air paths are very short and the cooling/packaging very efficient.

I did not want a 2.0T engine, but went with it because I wanted the eTorque even less (in early 2021 the choices were 2.0T no etorque or 3.6 etorque). I'm glad I did. I'm blown away how effortless this engine pulls 37s with stock gears vs the 3.6L pulled 34s on my 2016.

As a bonus, the 2.0T does not have the cross over exhaust pipe hanging down in a precarious position and interfering with driveshaft droop. Installing skid plates was a breeze without that pipe vs the same skid (Artec) on a 3.6.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
As a bonus, the 2.0T does not have the cross over exhaust pipe hanging down in a precarious position and interfering with driveshaft droop. Installing skid plates was a breeze without that pipe vs the same skid (Artec) on a 3.6.
:like:

Like the Artec underbelly kit, some (all?) of the 2.0 engine-only skids also eliminate the front crossmember for a little extra clearance.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Like the Artec underbelly kit, some (all?) of the 2.0 engine-only skids also eliminate the front crossmember for a little extra clearance.
Exactly. The 2.0 provides *the most* clearance. The 392 and Diesel are the worst. The 3.6 in between.

No one here talks about it, but it is a big advantage of the 2.0. Under belly clearance.

Also, the exhaust system is much simpler. If you smash it it is simpler/cheaper to repair.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Lighter weight likely means different block. Higher compression could be heads, pistons, or crank are different. Less friction means rings and/or bearings are different. New fuel injectors. New vvt means new cams. Literally every part of the engine was redesigned. Where do most engine failures occur anyway? Cams, valves, bearing, and ring, all of which are redesigned. Does that mean they will be less reliable than the previous gen? Of course not. They could prove more reliable. They could prove less reliable. The fact is the vast majority of New vehicle buyers don't keep their vehicles beyond 100k miles and any of the engine choices should easily go well beyond that point. For every 300k+ mile 3.6L out there you'll find dozens that failed long before that. If you're looking for that kind of super longevity, you are the exception and are likely kidding yourself that you'll keep the Jeep that long in my opinion.
This was my point all along. Wasn’t knocking the current Pentastar, just pointing out that it is no more time proven than the Hurricane engine at this point.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Lighter weight likely means different block. Higher compression could be heads, pistons, or crank are different. Less friction means rings and/or bearings are different. New fuel injectors. New vvt means new cams. Literally every part of the engine was redesigned. Where do most engine failures occur anyway? Cams, valves, bearing, and ring, all of which are redesigned. Does that mean they will be less reliable than the previous gen? Of course not. They could prove more reliable. They could prove less reliable. The fact is the vast majority of New vehicle buyers don't keep their vehicles beyond 100k miles and any of the engine choices should easily go well beyond that point. For every 300k+ mile 3.6L out there you'll find dozens that failed long before that. If you're looking for that kind of super longevity, you are the exception and are likely kidding yourself that you'll keep the Jeep that long in my opinion.
Well, the only bad news is that I’ll have long forgotten about this post when my Jeep hits 300k.

Sponsored

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So had some bad luck the other day while on my way to place my order for a 22 wrangler. Basically someone ran a red light and hit my car and totaled it which put me in a bad spot since I was on my way to order a 22. Now I dont have a car and probably cant wait for a 22 to be built but the dealership I was ordering from actually has a rubicon recon edition thats close to my specs I wanted but I am pretty sure all recon editions have the 2.0 in it. So my question is for the people who own one or have ridden in one how does it feel? I had 2018 Rubicon in the 3.6 and I am a little afraid the 2.0 is going to feel very under powered. Thanks
So it's been 11 days since you posted your question. You got many positive responses re: the 2.0. If you bought the 2.0 you've found out that it is a very good option.

I was a little leery about getting the 2.0 but the Sales Rep I've bought from several times encouraged me to try it. I did and very happy I did! It has more than enough horsepower/torque to go anywhere. I love it.

I hope you have the same experience............

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So it's been 11 days since you posted your question. You got many positive responses re: the 2.0. If you bought the 2.0 you've found out that it is a very good option.

I was a little leery about getting the 2.0 but the Sales Rep I've bought from several times encouraged me to try it. I did and very happy I did! It has more than enough horsepower/torque to go anywhere. I love it.

I hope you have the same experience............
The 2.0 seems to always get well praised by those who actually have experience driving it. Other than some obvious backpeddling about the revised 3.6, the positive responses are about unanimous.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I ordered my 80th Edition with the 2.0T even though I was still a little hesitant even after a test drive comparison with the 3.6L. Now, after 5500 miles, I'm sold on this little Italian powerhouse.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ordered my 80th Edition with the 2.0T even though I was still a little hesitant even after a test drive comparison with the 3.6L. Now, after 5500 miles, I'm sold on this little Italian powerhouse.
Me too!

We just got back from Santa Fe, NM, and it hauled a#@ on the freeway as it always has. No problem with hills, wind, passing, etc. Just turned 11K miles.......zero problems/issues.

Sponsored

CamperShamu

First Name
Shamu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR(ordered), Tesla 3, BMW m240i
How long of a wait for the new Jeep? I am contemplating ordering.
No idea really. Dealer said Jan/Feb or even march depending on parts/delivery driver situation.. They wont start building 22 orders until some time in dec from what I have been reading.

DB2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara Altitude, 12 VW Beetle, 08 Honda Fit
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Security & Architecture
No idea really. Dealer said Jan/Feb or even march depending on parts/delivery driver situation.. They wont start building 22 orders until some time in dec from what I have been reading.
MY22 production starts the week of December 6th. It can’t get here fast enough!!!

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I’m still a little hesitant on the idea of a 4cyl in a Jeep, but after having a rental for a few days with the 2.0, I have to say I was very impressed. I’ve only driven the latest 3.6 non etorque in a gladiator, and from memory the 2.0 feels much faster. Totally different driving experience. But after a few days with the 2.0, all my power concerns were blown away. And the gas mileage was also quite impressive.

I’m still curious to see how they hold up past 100K miles, but I would seriously consider it after my driving experience.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The new polaris rzr has a 2.0L
Naturally aspirated, 225 HP, 152 lb-ft of torque, and 8500 RPM redline. The motor in the RZR Pro R is closer to a Honda S2000 than the GME 2.0. And the 3.6 is is in the middle somewhere (when ignoring cylinder count and looking at power delivery only).

Last edited: