Sponsored

2.0 Engine Skid Plates

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Anyone running this Rock Hard complete set have any thoughts to share? Having removed my rear seat, and running with half doors, makes taking on 290lbs for steel acceptable to me. I've bashed up aluminum skids so I am hesitant to pull trigger on the light weight options. All opinions and experience welcome.
Sponsored

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
Anyone running this Rock Hard complete set have any thoughts to share? Having removed my rear seat, and running with half doors, makes taking on 290lbs for steel acceptable to me. I've bashed up aluminum skids so I am hesitant to pull trigger on the light weight options. All opinions and experience welcome.
I think that the Asfir is fine for light to perhaps moderate level usage, but for anything greater than that, I would opt for the steel.

Canvasback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLUR
I installed the Asfir on my 2 door, fairly easy install, improved ground clearance, the only concern I had was having to delete the crossbar. So far, have not noticed any adverse effects, but can't help but wonder if the structural rigidity may have been compromised.
After asking around locally, I donā€™t think removing the crossbar will have any adverse issues.

Canvasback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLUR
I think that the Asfir is fine for light to perhaps moderate level usage, but for anything greater than that, I would opt for the steel.
Agreed. For me, it will work fine as I donā€™t plan on doing any hardcore rock crawling. This is being built for hunting and moderate 4x. So, for me I was very willing to save on the weight of the steel.

Sponsored

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Took some time today and got the Asfir skid plates installed. Not a bad install at all. I was very happy with the delivery time of this product, the packaging and the install. I now have a new shiny underbelly that needs some beating up.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 4C4A4A82-10C0-40A7-A861-DF494E769946

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 4C4A4A82-10C0-40A7-A861-DF494E769946
Looks great!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The oil change is a pain with the Asfir and Iā€™m working on a solution that would be best implemented BEFORE you install. I picked up some JB Weld Water Weld (for use with aluminum). Itā€™s basically a dam.

I kneaded it and made it into a rope (itā€™s a touch more gooey than the regular JB from my memory. Just wait for it to start to get warm from the chemical hardening process and that should make it easier to work with. Get the section of rope into position and press down/contour as you see fit. I put a curve in one side to cup the area.

I did the drain plug area and forgot about the mess the oil filter adapter drains down until the oil change so now I need to go back in and add more. SMH

Again, get some Water Weld and do it before you install. Itā€™s more difficult to do a nice job because itā€™s tight above the skid.

Borowing a pic looking from the front of the skid from MILT earlier in the thread to illustrate (Thanks)ā€¦.

To get the drips to break off and fall on both sides of the cutout rather than running down toward the back of the Jeep Iā€™d run the rope of weld over the edge of the cutout and actually come to a small piece pointing down past the bottom of the skid.

C9C8A034-66E7-45BF-84C0-A7B529F3E761.jpeg

E9F0CE4D-1053-413E-B85A-62F12DF9AE4F.jpeg

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The oil change is a pain with the Asfir and Iā€™m working on a solution that would be best implemented BEFORE you install. I picked up some JB Weld Water Weld (for use with aluminum). Itā€™s basically a dam.

I kneaded it and made it into a rope (itā€™s a touch more gooey than the regular JB from my memory. Just wait for it to start to get warm from the chemical hardening process and that should make it easier to work with. Get the section of rope into position and press down/contour as you see fit. I put a curve in one side to cup the area.

I did the drain plug area and forgot about the mess the oil filter adapter drains down until the oil change so now I need to go back in and add more. SMH

Again, get some Water Weld and do it before you install. Itā€™s more difficult to do a nice job because itā€™s tight above the skid.

Borowing a pic looking from the front of the skid from MILT earlier in the thread to illustrate (Thanks)ā€¦.

To get the drips to break off and fall on both sides of the cutout rather than running down toward the back of the Jeep Iā€™d run the rope of weld over the edge of the cutout and actually come to a small piece pointing down past the bottom of the skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates E9F0CE4D-1053-413E-B85A-62F12DF9AE4F

Good idea to use JB to create a canal of sorts to channel the drainage. Looking forward to hearing how it works out once you're all finished and see how it works.

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo

Do you think a Fumoto oil drain valve would work with the Asfir?

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Itā€™s been brought up before but if you smash the skid enough to make contact with the valve, thatā€™s more leverage to damage the drain plug region. Iā€™d rather keep the drain plug away from making contact.

To maintain clearance using these damā€™s, just donā€™t put it under the low spots of the pan/drain plug.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer

use one of these for draining the oil https://www.valvomax.com/products/m...inless-drain-tube-knob?variant=33149391175789 it makes changes a breeze
and for the oil filter maybe just a cut up milk jug or plastic bottle ? i allllways did that when doing the oil changes on my cars/jeeps and harleys not sure u have room with the plate though . good idea though

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
What is the difference between the Valvomax and the Fumoto? Is the Fumoto significantly longer?
i wouldnt know sorry
i know the funmoto one is a realllllly good one as well
i myself just dont like the way that one works. i dont like the idea of the handle / lever to operate it .
the valvomax uses a cap with a hose that has a part to push the bearing in and release the oil - and you can regulate the speed/flow of the oil as well , more turns, more oil . i like mine alot . also
another reason lets say if for some reason the mechanical parts fail in either one of the 2,
the funmoto will just leak all over the place , if the valvomax fails , the retainer cap that goes back on once your done draining will keep the oil from leaking all over ..
the only downside is you need to have the other cap/tube to do the changes whereas the funmoto all you need is to flip the handle , so each has its good an bad i guess
sorry i cant really answer that for you , but this is why i picked the valvomax myself , either is great

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Rubicon Manual Trans
Thanks for posting those pictures. From the looks of it, there is essentially no loss of ground clearance under the vehicle. awesome!
Hello,
I see you have a 2021 Rubicon. I also have a 2021 Rubicon with the V6 engine and it comes with hydraulic motor mounts and these skid plates will not work on mine. Mine was the first year that they used hydraulic motor mounts and there is no bolt holes for the two front mounts that these skid plates use. I had to send my EVO skid plates back because they mounted just like Rusty's do.
Sponsored