Sponsored

Differential Cover, Which one is better?

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
https://www.cjponyparts.com/afe-rea...a-m220-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-2019/p/4671000R/

this is almost twice the price as this, from review and description it seems like both hold larger amount of oil compare to stock, but which one is better?

https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-Y...NBMNGFM1A4B&psc=1&refRID=P100ZNX8RNBMNGFM1A4B

please help
I'd go with the Dana ones as they know the axle the best. Available for all JL's so be careful what you order.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-spicer/differential-cover-dana-44-axles-wrangler-jl

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
More oil does not always mean better. Gale Banks did a great video investigating this:

I will second the Dana cover also. They built the axle, they know what works best. I also really like features of the ARB cover: https://www.quadratec.com/p/arb/competition-differential-cover-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt
The question is are the ARB ones designed by ARB, and this is a knock off, or does ARB just source from this supplier and mark up $100? These cheap ones have been out far longer than ARB so I suspect, sadly, it's the later.

https://www.amazon.com/Spicer-Nodul...&pd_rd_r=3f6d41b9-4152-473a-ba8f-890ead3402a9

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
More oil does not always mean better. Gale Banks did a great video investigating this>
What did he prove aside from using the series as a pre-cursor/promo for his "new and improved" axle cover (which has to be the fugliest on the planet)?

I am concerned about the amount of oil in the D44 axles. 1.5QTs in the rear and 1.3QTs in the front is not a huge reserve. I would like to see 3QTs in both...

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What did he prove aside from using the series as a pre-cursor/promo for his "new and improved" axle cover (which has to be the fugliest on the planet)?

I am concerned about the amount of oil in the D44 axles. 1.5QTs in the rear and 1.3QTs in the front is not a huge reserve. I would like to see 3QTs in both...
Well it's all just theory, but he states that the added aeration and work done to the oil is actually detrimental to bearing performance and that making the oil reservoir larger at the expense of a smooth radius surface disrupts the oil flow.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

He had plenty of data to back up how the fluid was worked and he demonstrated how the shape of the cover affects the flow and coverage of the gears.

No other manufacturer is as open about the design process and how these things work. That's because they likely didn't spend nearly the effort to understand it.

Show me something from afe or anyone else that shows even a fraction of their design thought or even theory.

The Dana/Spicer cover still has a square area on it that bugs me. Honestly, I think ARB might have the best all-around design when considering both flow and protection of the bolt heads. They are just a bit more expensive.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's all just theory, but he states that the added aeration and work done to the oil is actually detrimental to bearing performance and that making the oil reservoir larger at the expense of a smooth radius surface disrupts the oil flow.
The points he makes about aeration are BS. Look at the clear cover videos on YT. They clearly show that aeration happens even with covers that mimic the OEM designs.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
He had plenty of data to back up how the fluid was worked and he demonstrated how the shape of the cover affects the flow and coverage of the gears.

No other manufacturer is as open about the design process and how these things work. That's because they likely didn't spend nearly the effort to understand it.

Show me something from afe or anyone else that shows even a fraction of their design thought or even theory.

The Dana/Spicer cover still has a square area on it that bugs me. Honestly, I think ARB might have the best all-around design when considering both flow and protection of the bolt heads. They are just a bit more expensive.
Here's the inside of the ARB:
Capture.JPG

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I call BS on his aeration claims. It happens with OEM designs too and there was ZERO hard data to show that flat back covers cause more wear or are detrimental. Where is the data to show that viscosity was impacted?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I wish we had some good UNBIASED reviews. Plenty on YouTube but they are all from youtubers that get the crap for free so I don’t trust them because whatever part they have they like. I am interested in upgrading mine but haven’t done so because I can’t find which ones to pull the trigger on.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I call BS on his aeration claims. It happens with OEM designs too
Did you watch the video? An OEM style cover is literally the first thing he tests, and to my eyes it looks like a more controlled oil flow.

Also, these concepts are not unlike oil windage trays.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you watch the video? An OEM style cover is literally the first thing he tests, and to my eyes it looks like a more controlled oil flow.

Also, these concepts are not unlike oil windage trays.
I watched all of them and he goes on and on how flat back covers and increased capacity cause temperature increase and viscosity loss. Where is the data to support it? I have 5 years worth of my own data running a Mag-Hytec and towing 8-9K with a F150 45% of its life and they do not agree with his position at all. Look at the amount of aeration that occurs within a OEM clear cover - and "somehow" a flat back somehow produces more to the point of detriment? I said it at the start of his video series it was nothing more than a marketing campaign and it is still exactly that. Let us not forget these are two gears turning at 90° to each other. The amount of shear forces are incredible and no cover is going to change that. Sorry, but Banks did not "prove" anything and additionally, had he NOT produced a new cover, I would have been more inclined to listen to his position because it would have been objective. At this juncture, it is anything but.
Sponsored