Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Salon Owner/Stylist
Hello, everyone!

My JLUS is my second Wrangler, upgraded in the spring from a 2016 Sport 2-Door Freedom Edition. Never did any off-roading, other than a dirt road here or there. No mud, no rocks.

Spent a week up in northern Maine last week and took her out on logging roads and gravel/dirt/rocky trails. Nothing major.....no rock climbing or anything. I haven't upgraded anything, except I added mud flaps because of the pebbles that were being flung back at the body from the AT tires. Had fun driving through some muddy puddles and getting dirty, exploring some amazing views and getting "lost". It was a blast.

Then I came home to clean it. MUD everywhere. Lots of nooks and crannies for it to get trapped in. Need to wash it again in a day or two, could not get it all out. Noticed some damage to my wheels, a couple of good-sized nicks (probably from rocks) that will most likely rust and look like shit before too long. :( Also found a pretty nice gouge on the underside of the front bumper (don't recall hitting anything or hearing that happen, and by the looks of it, it seems like I should've heard it). Well, damn.

Sorry to take so long to get to my actual question, but how do you all deal with this type of stuff? How do you clean yours? (inside and out) Do I just have to decide if I want my Jeep to look perfect or have fun in it? Is it wrong to want both? Lol....but seriously.

69638125_10214835334539008_3480837570525396992_n.jpg

69828946_10214835336539058_4790654960599564288_n.jpg

70615998_10214835333818990_1749032844686000128_n.jpg
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if you want it to keep looking perfect, dont take it off road. stuff is bound to happen. at least anything beyond a dirt road.

your wheels shouldnt have rust issues, theyre aluminum

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
1) I'm ok with cosmetic damage because I use my Jeep for what it was built for: being offroad.
2) I clean the exterior of my Jeep by going through the DIY car washes. I clean the painted surfaces AND the undercarriage.
3) I wipe down the interior with a sponge.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I can relate. I have had mine just over 3 weeks. Around where I live, finding a grassy field to drive in is about as close as you can get to off roading. Looking at joining a Jeep club and getting some action. It's difficult to do both... keep it clean and looking new vs finding some hills, mud, rocks and trails and having a great time. With these vehicles costing in the $40-60K range, those first scratches and dings are hard to deal with.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, everyone!

My JLUS is my second Wrangler, upgraded in the spring from a 2016 Sport 2-Door Freedom Edition. Never did any off-roading, other than a dirt road here or there. No mud, no rocks.

Spent a week up in northern Maine last week and took her out on logging roads and gravel/dirt/rocky trails. Nothing major.....no rock climbing or anything. I haven't upgraded anything, except I added mud flaps because of the pebbles that were being flung back at the body from the AT tires. Had fun driving through some muddy puddles and getting dirty, exploring some amazing views and getting "lost". It was a blast.

Then I came home to clean it. MUD everywhere. Lots of nooks and crannies for it to get trapped in. Need to wash it again in a day or two, could not get it all out. Noticed some damage to my wheels, a couple of good-sized nicks (probably from rocks) that will most likely rust and look like shit before too long. :( Also found a pretty nice gouge on the underside of the front bumper (don't recall hitting anything or hearing that happen, and by the looks of it, it seems like I should've heard it). Well, damn.

Sorry to take so long to get to my actual question, but how do you all deal with this type of stuff? How do you clean yours? (inside and out) Do I just have to decide if I want my Jeep to look perfect or have fun in it? Is it wrong to want both? Lol....but seriously.

69638125_10214835334539008_3480837570525396992_n.jpg

69828946_10214835336539058_4790654960599564288_n.jpg

70615998_10214835333818990_1749032844686000128_n.jpg
For me, it finally got to the point where my ocd and I needed a sit down one on one conversation. I basically said “ lighten up dude, if you wheel your rig then shits going to happen “.......;) seriously though, you can’t have it both ways, at least I haven’t figured out how. I don’t let it bother me anymore, I bought my rig to wheel it, and I’m at peace with the consequences. Like @fat_head says, you just do the best you can to keep it looking good. A few battle scars are ok......chicks dig it.....:)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NHBIKINIPEARL

NHBIKINIPEARL

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Salon Owner/Stylist
For me, it finally got to the point where my ocd and I needed a sit down one on one conversation. I basically said “ lighten up dude, if you wheel your rig then shits going to happen “.......;) seriously though, you can’t have it both ways, at least I haven’t figured out how to. I don’t let it bother me anymore, I bought my rig to wheel it, I’m at peace with the consequences. Like @fat_head says, you just do the best you can to keep it looking good. A few battle scars are ok, chicks dig it.....:)
Well, as long as chicks dig it......... :)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

wont lie, the first pin stripe sucked. but it doesnt hurt anymore not. took me a week to get into the sand and rocks out in the desert. but i haven't stopped since. as much as i want my jeep to be beautiful as a show car the smiles are greater when off-roading than washing it. I wash my jeep a day or two after my trips with my pressure washer an good soap. I then proceed to use turtle wax ice spray wax to keep the paint protected and 303 aerospace UV protector on all the plastic fenders,handles and mirrors. I also give the engine bay a quick spray down and the undercarriage as well. Always do your best to not get any damage but remember the smiles you had while getting them when they do happen:jk::tumbleweed::LOL:

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just lift it and put on big tires. Then it will look awesome no matter how many dings there are. Nice pictures BTW.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
For me, it finally got to the point where my ocd and I needed a sit down one on one conversation. I basically said “ lighten up dude, if you wheel your rig then shits going to happen “.......;) seriously though, you can’t have it both ways, at least I haven’t figured out how to. I don’t let it bother me anymore, I bought my rig to wheel it, I’m at peace with the consequences. Like @fat_head says, you just do the best you can to keep it looking good. A few battle scars are ok, chicks dig it.....:)
Thank you! I really needed to hear this.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
wont lie, the first pin stripe sucked. but it doesnt hurt anymore not. took me a week to get into the sand and rocks out in the desert. but i haven't stopped since. as much as i want my jeep to be beautiful as a show car the smiles are greater when off-roading than washing it. I wash my jeep a day or two after my trips with my pressure washer an good soap. I then proceed to use turtle wax ice spray wax to keep the paint protected and 303 aerospace UV protector on all the plastic fenders,handles and mirrors. I also give the engine bay a quick spray down and the undercarriage as well. Always do your best to not get any damage but remember the smiles you had while getting them when they do happen:jk::tumbleweed::LOL:
Love it, man!

*** update *** Also, thanks for the tip on the 303 Aerospace UV Protector. I just ordered some from Amazon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
It all depends on how and where you wheel, but yes you'll likely get some markings on the Jeep that won't come off when you wheel it.

My recommendation is to look in your area for a Bone Stock Jeep Club. We have a fantastic one here in the PNW, I'm sure there are others around the country. There will be people in a club like that who want exactly what you do, and you're likely to find good advice and possibly a few friends that way.