JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Hi guys,

So this is my first ever Jeep, and yes, it's not the Rubicon, but I would like to end up off-roading with it in the future. I'm not talking serious or intense off-roading but mild trail related.

My question is, before I bother doing this, what are some additions you would add to the Sahara before you did something like this?

I would like to run a ~2.5" lift with 35s.
Sponsored

pkvir

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Mild trails, a stock Sahara is more then capable. It is a very good off- roader as long as you're not thinking about rock crawling.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
If you're doing mild off roading, I don't think you need a lift. I take my stock JK Rubi to Colorado every year and have done pretty much every 4 rated trail (out of 5) listed on Traildamage.com The 5's are extreme and I'd suggest that driver skills are as, or more, important than vehicle capability. They're not for the occasional off roader.

That being said, I've seen stock JK Sahara's on all of the 4 rated trails, including Black Bear and Punch Bowl and they didn't have issues. The Rubi makes it less stressful in my opinion since it gives you greater latitude to overcome difficult sections. You'd have to be more careful with the Sahara.

You should be aware that there are trade offs with lifts that have prevented me from pursuing this. Fuel economy takes a hit with the heavier tires/wheels and higher rolling resistance. Tire noise is also an issue on pavement if it's your daily driver and you'll be replacing tires more frequently at higher costs.

You definitely will gain more capability with a lift in off roading, but you'll have to determine for yourself if there really is a need or sufficient cost benefit.

OP
OP

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Mild trails, a stock Sahara is more then capable. It is a very good off- roader as long as you're not thinking about rock crawling.
If you're doing mild off roading, I don't think you need a lift. I take my stock JK Rubi to Colorado every year and have done pretty much every 4 rated trail (out of 5) listed on Traildamage.com The 5's are extreme and I'd suggest that driver skills are as, or more, important than vehicle capability. They're not for the occasional off roader.

That being said, I've seen stock JK Sahara's on all of the 4 rated trails, including Black Bear and Punch Bowl and they didn't have issues. The Rubi makes it less stressful in my opinion since it gives you greater latitude to overcome difficult sections. You'd have to be more careful with the Sahara.

You should be aware that there are trade offs with lifts that have prevented me from pursuing this. Fuel economy takes a hit with the heavier tires/wheels and higher rolling resistance. Tire noise is also an issue on pavement if it's your daily driver and you'll be replacing tires more frequently at higher costs.

You definitely will gain more capability with a lift in off roading, but you'll have to determine for yourself if there really is a need or sufficient cost benefit.
Appreciate the feedback guys.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
All terrain Tires... this is all i would recommend everything more is just a bonus/over kill for a "mild trails"
Sponsored