Re-Gearing a JLU

EasyDoesItNM

First Name
Misty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
So, I'm wondering then if the ESS faults are directly related to the ability for your gears to rotate the tires,etc., at a certain speed/rate? I'm new to the re-gearing side of things (never did it in the past), but i'd be curious to see the root cause as to why larger tires might fix the error message... Would 4.56 gears cause the same ESS error with 33s, but then go away with 35s for example?

Edit: Awesome rig by the way!
Hey there,

I have the sport and just did a swap for 4.56 on 33’s and so far no error messages. I’m about 35 miles into the break in period and plan on doing 35’s when my lift comes in.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there,

I have the sport and just did a swap for 4.56 on 33’s and so far no error messages. I’m about 35 miles into the break in period and plan on doing 35’s when my lift comes in.
That's good to hear. Do you have the M220 in the back with the LSD & M186 in the front as well? If so, curious about what brand gears/kit you went with.

EasyDoesItNM

First Name
Misty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good to hear. Do you have the M220 in the back with the LSD & M186 in the front as well? If so, curious about what brand gears/kit you went with.
Mine is the M186 front and M200 rear w/out LSD. I did add an air locker to front and plan on add to rear at some point.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice, I want to put a locker (would prefer an e-locker, but may have to go air) in the front. I'm still undecided if I want to replace the LSD with a locker in the back though.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience.

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Who do you guys have doing the changes? Dealer, 4x4 place, transmission shop?

Sponsored

EasyDoesItNM

First Name
Misty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who do you guys have doing the changes? Dealer, 4x4 place, transmission shop?
I went to a local shop, New Mexico Gear & Clutch, recommended by people I wheel with and who build crawlers

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
with the 4.56 have you been on the freeway yet? If so how was it?

EasyDoesItNM

First Name
Misty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
with the 4.56 have you been on the freeway yet? If so how was it?
I have not yet, I’ve been advised to keep it under 40 mph for at least a full tank gas then change oil before going higher speeds. I can say though so far it gets into 4th pretty quick and it just wants to go!

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Please keep us updated, I'm looking at a possible regear and if I do trying to figure out where I want to land. ty

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
If a dealer want repair it its voided. Just saying
The warranty covers factory installed parts. If you install 4.88 gears, then clearly the differentials aren't covered any more because they no longer have factory installed parts in them or have been modified since installation. If your AC or engine or transfer case fail, then that obviously would be covered...

Sponsored

deitrick1

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The warranty covers factory installed parts. If you install 4.88 gears, then clearly the differentials aren't covered any more because they no longer have factory installed parts in them or have been modified since installation. If your AC or engine or transfer case fail, then that obviously would be covered...
Yes. This is why you should choose your dealer wisely. A good shop will be honest and looking out for their customers. I drive 75 minutes to my dealer. With a smile. They are worth it.

Shameless plug: Adams Jeep of Maryland has never let me down. Both in sales and service.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I have the exact issue. Picked mine up Friday from having 4.88's installed and the ESS light and "service ESS system" message is on dash. It has come on every time I drive now except once when the stop/start actually worked at a light but then a few minutes later the light came back on. I have a Flashcal on the way. Maybe it will reset when I set the gear ratio and tire size. I turn the ESS off every time I drive anyway.

On a positive note, 2 door six speed on 35's is fantastic with 4.88's! first gear is extremely short now but it definitely has some "pep" back. I had to be on the interstate on a slight down hill to use 6th gear on the stock gears. Now I can cruise along in 6th on a back road at 45 mph. Only had it on the interstate briefly since the swap, but looked to be about 2200 or so rpm at 70 mph. It drives great and with the MBRP exhaust giving it just enough sound to shift by ear again, the fun to drive factor went up even more!
How short is the first gear now on the 4.88?' I have a JLUR and it is i can go up to 14 mph before i have to shift, which I think is very short. I can't imagine it worse than that.

Sharkbite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
How short is the first gear now on the 4.88?' I have a JLUR and it is i can go up to 14 mph before i have to shift, which I think is very short. I can't imagine it worse than that.
It is very short. First just gets you barely moving and it’s time to shift. On even the slightest downhill stop I usually start in second. First is a little annoying on road driving but 2-6 are fantastic. First gear in 4lo greatly improves the crawl with the gearing in the sport transfer case.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yep I agree with sharkbite. First gear is basically a granny gear! And I still went 5.13’s lol. It’s low.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yep I agree with sharkbite. First gear is basically a granny gear! And I still went 5.13’s lol. It’s low.
I don’t need to crawl at all do first will be useless. So instead of shifting st say 14 mph it’s more like half that?
Sponsored