Sponsored

Re-Gearing a JLU

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Except, I can throw my factory wheels and tires back on the Jeep in 15 minutes if I need to go in for service. Can't do that with a ring and pinion swap.
The dealer supports re-calibrating for both tires and gears, and FCA openly talked about supporting it at launch.

Monster tires, unbalanced tires or incorrectly installed gears would be an issue. Larger tires can often require regearing for proper operation.

I laugh at big tired 4x4s that cant go up hills, if you cant regear a wrangler its a total pos not worth buying. Thats clearly not what Wrangler designers are aiming for.
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Again here is an issue. People do wrong and when it cost them they try and fool the DEALERS and make it bad for us HONEST JEEPERS.

By reinstalling the original equipment as in the dealer want know you did ring work on the vehicle.

It's your CHOICE YOUR VEHICLE

IF YOU CANT AFFORD THE THE REPAIRS DONT MAKE THE CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deitrick1

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It is simple. The Moss-Magnuson Act clearly states it is the dealers job to prove the failure was due to aftermarket parts. Many dealers don't care and simply refuse to honor the law. CHOOSE YOUR DEALER WISELY!!!

Regearing does not void your warranty, BUT don't expect a Jeep dealer to fix any issues with gears that failed. The replacement parts would be your responsibility to get from aftermarket manufacturer. Fair is fair...you can't repaint a new car and then try to get the dealer to fix paint imperfections...

With all this being said, I drive over an hour to visit a specific dealer because they honor the law and are fair and just down right decent. Adams Jeep of Maryland have never let me down. From sales to service. Cannot recommend higher.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
If a dealer want repair it its voided. Just saying

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of lift and mod friendly dealers if it is truly a warranty failure there are other dealers that want your business - they make a killing on warranty work.
I agree, there are but again make sure to keep a repair stash on the side when they say no and you hear the words (SORRY YOUR WARRANTY IS VOIDED)

deitrick1

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed 37s and ESS fault went away. Killed two birds with one mod...well that and the Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor lift.

IMO, 4.88 gears match PERFECTLY with 37s (measured 36" installed) on my 6-speed. Everything feels much smoother across the board. Still managed to pull off 17.2 mpg on a 22 mile trek into Phila today for work. Plenty of power in 4H.

BA.jpg

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed 37s and ESS fault went away. Killed two birds with one mod...well that and the Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor lift.

IMO, 4.88 gears match PERFECTLY with 37s (measured 36" installed) on my 6-speed. Everything feels much smoother across the board. Still managed to pull off 17.2 mpg on a 22 mile trek into Phila today for work. Plenty of power in 4H.

BA.jpg
So, I'm wondering then if the ESS faults are directly related to the ability for your gears to rotate the tires,etc., at a certain speed/rate? I'm new to the re-gearing side of things (never did it in the past), but i'd be curious to see the root cause as to why larger tires might fix the error message... Would 4.56 gears cause the same ESS error with 33s, but then go away with 35s for example?

Edit: Awesome rig by the way!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great. Ask your dealer if it voided the transmission WARRANTY. A big risk

deitrick1

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm wondering then if the ESS faults are directly related to the ability for your gears to rotate the tires,etc., at a certain speed/rate? I'm new to the re-gearing side of things (never did it in the past), but i'd be curious to see the root cause as to why larger tires might fix the error message... Would 4.56 gears cause the same ESS error with 33s, but then go away with 35s for example?

Edit: Awesome rig by the way!
That's a great question. I think the only way we will find out is by trial and error...

Sponsored

deitrick1

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. Ask your dealer if it voided the transmission WARRANTY. A big risk
No. The only warranty I infringed upon is the differentials. They will not work on the diffs under warranty since the gears are changed. But the axle seals, and inner axles are still covered.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. The only warranty I infringed upon is the differentials. They will not work on the diffs under warranty since the gears are changed. But the axle seals, and inner axles are still covered.
Good deal

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
BEWARE, if you replaced the RING/PINION in any new DIFF. and then you have an axle leak, because of the outer seal--

Most dealers will refuse warranty work because of your AXLE ACTIVITY--unless you had the work done by a DEALER!!

Some will/Some won't-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
BEWARE, if you replaced the RING/PINION in any new DIFF. and then you have an axle leak, because of the outer seal--

Most dealers will refuse warranty work because of your AXLE ACTIVITY--unless you had the work done by a DEALER!!

Some will/Some won't-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO
If anything ever comes up I’m hoping they’ll have no idea anything has even changed! Lol. Wouldn’t surprise me.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, any time your have WARRANTY work, it's always "the luck of the draw"

Mainly will depend on your relationship/past business/attitude and a favorite salesman--which is why I buy my DODGE/JEEP stuff from my little town dealer-

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored