Anybody re-gearing their diesel?

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah. Rather sell the stockers now when I can still get money for them. W/ Tazer adapter, you can actually use your factory locker switches now even with the Currie axles (assuming you go e-locker of course).

Only issue I'm running into is Currie's site doesn't list anything below 4.88 and I don't want a 9" -- so will call and see if they offer 4.30 or 4.56. I'm pretty sure 4.56 will be ok for 37" daily use but gotta run the math (concerned about 8th gear RPM @ 70 mph).

Daily use = 37" KO2's on AEV Ram HD Katla wheels (ride quality, noise, snow performance)
Dedicated wheeling trips = 42" MTs (looking at treps, new trail grappler, or crawlers) on 20" forged beadlocks (not sure which wheel I'll go with yet, but has to be forged).

Will likely run a fender chop kit as I don't think 3 1/2" of lift will clear 42's otherwise. Buddy of mine put 39's with that and there's room for days with the same lift. I'm running Fox's new 3.0's internal bypass shocks w/ adjusters front and rear with air bumps, the shocks are for 3-5" of lift, so even if I have to increase a bit should be good.

edit: Currie confirms I can do 4.30 and 4.56's. So now have to decide.
[/QUOTE
Whenever I'm in a gear situation like you are I always go with the deeper gears and rarely regret it.
For everyone here considering gear changes here's an easy calculator. Remember, bigger tires are also heavier and a little deeper gear helps get the mass rolling. You might look at a 4.88

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Probably won't go 4.88's. I think for the diesel at least, on 37's (which are only 2-3 pounds heavier than my current 33" Falcons) that would mean cruising around 400 rpm's higher than stock on the highway at 70. 4.30's on 37's puts me at an rpm slightly above factory.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bad, the 4.88 suggestion was for 40’s

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Somehow I never expected anyone to regear with the diesel. You live and you learn...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bad, the 4.88 suggestion was for 40’s
No worries, 40's get heavy. Combine them with heavy beadlocks and you really start needing that extra gear.

Somehow I never expected anyone to regear with the diesel. You live and you learn...
I think for many it's just about keeping the vehicle as close to the stock power band as possible at highway speed to hold 8th gear.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m on 35’s and it still pulls 8th fine and the mpg is very close. That said, I’d love to get my hands on a set of gas burner 4.10’s and load em up

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Yeah. Rather sell the stockers now when I can still get money for them. W/ Tazer adapter, you can actually use your factory locker switches now even with the Currie axles (assuming you go e-locker of course).

Only issue I'm running into is Currie's site doesn't list anything below 4.88 and I don't want a 9" -- so will call and see if they offer 4.30 or 4.56. I'm pretty sure 4.56 will be ok for 37" daily use but gotta run the math (concerned about 8th gear RPM @ 70 mph).

Daily use = 37" KO2's on AEV Ram HD Katla wheels (ride quality, noise, snow performance)
Dedicated wheeling trips = 42" MTs (looking at treps, new trail grappler, or crawlers) on 20" forged beadlocks (not sure which wheel I'll go with yet, but has to be forged).

Will likely run a fender chop kit as I don't think 3 1/2" of lift will clear 42's otherwise. Buddy of mine put 39's with that and there's room for days with the same lift. I'm running Fox's new 3.0's internal bypass shocks w/ adjusters front and rear with air bumps, the shocks are for 3-5" of lift, so even if I have to increase a bit should be good.

edit: Currie confirms I can do 4.30 and 4.56's. So now have to decide.
What did you get or expect to get for your take off axels. Was thinking the same thing. Was hoping the diesel came with 60s from the factory.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you get or expect to get for your take off axels. Was thinking the same thing. Was hoping the diesel came with 60s from the factory.
$4k. Anything less than that and they were going in a storage unit. I was not planning on buying axles this year but when I was offered $4,000 that escalated my timing.
Sponsored